The Student Room Group

Maths Homework - help please ASAP

a curve has equation y=3x(sqred) +6x-7. find the equation of the tangent to the curve at the point x=1, can you please explain what to do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Misshussain23
a curve has equation y=3x(sqred) +6x-7. find the equation of the tangent to the curve at the point x=1, can you please explain what to do

Differentiate to get the gradient function for the curve. Hence find the gradient of the curve at x = 1. Then use either yy1=m(xx1) y - y_1 = m(x - x_1) or y=mx+c y = mx + c to find the equation of the tangent.

It's perfect except for when you go from the penultimate to the final line, you've made a silly algebra mistake :-)
Original post by 16Characters....
It's perfect except for when you go from the penultimate to the final line, you've made a silly algebra mistake :-)

okay thankyou, i will have amend that :smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446896924.445035.jpg

I'm not sure how you find x and y for part a 😬 can anyone help me please

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446896924.445035.jpg

I'm not sure how you find x and y for part a 😬 can anyone help me please

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can start with either one, so what do you know about one of the co-ordinates when the graph meets the x axis or the y axis?
Original post by SeanFM
You can start with either one, so what do you know about one of the co-ordinates when the graph meets the x axis or the y axis?

i'm not sure
i'm not sure

We could work with a more simple example and apply the same logic to your question.

If you had the graph y=x5 y = x - 5 and sketched that, where does that cross the x and y axis? What do you notice about one of the co-ordinates in each case?
Original post by SeanFM
We could work with a more simple example and apply the same logic to your question.

If you had the graph y=x5 y = x - 5 and sketched that, where does that cross the x and y axis? What do you notice about one of the co-ordinates in each case?

One of them will be 0
y=f(x) so y=3x-x^3, when it crosses y axis, x=0 so sub in and get value of y

When it crosses x axis, y=0 so sub into eqaution and get value of y
One of them will be 0

Correct, so now you just have to think: for meeting the x axis, which one will be 0? Same for the y axis, and then find the other co-ordinates.
Original post by SeanFM
Correct, so now you just have to think: for meeting the x axis, which one will be 0? Same for the y axis, and then find the other co-ordinates.

okay that makes sense thankyou :smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446994723.330372.jpgtou

Can you please help me understand how to do this question please with a step by step process

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446994723.330372.jpgtou

Can you please help me understand how to do this question please with a step by step process

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question 1 or 2?
Original post by Andy98
Question 1 or 2?

1 please
Reply 17
1 please

My first step would be to rearrange the equation so you have y on one side. You know how to do that?
Original post by Andy98
My first step would be to rearrange the equation so you have y on one side. You know how to do that?

no im not sure, i know you have to find m by rearraringing it to y=mx+c but im not sure how to get it
Reply 19
no im not sure, i know you have to find m by rearraringing it to y=mx+c but im not sure how to get it

What do you need to do to both sides to get a positive multiple of y?

Quick Reply

Latest