The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16

Scroll to see replies

Newcastle interview on 7th December (UKCAT 787.5)
Reply 141
Original post by badaman
Got a Newcastle interview!
Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your UKCAT if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by enaomie
What was your UKCAT if you dont mind me asking?

Original post by Bloom77
Interview question practice:
Is medicine a science or an art?

:biggrin:

Just helping you prepare 💁🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noooo, too BMAT! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Interview question practice:
Is medicine a science or an art?

:biggrin:

Just helping you prepare 💁🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both - some parts are art, some parts are science, but most are both for medicine!
Reply 145
Original post by heatheraddison
Hi I got an interview for aberdeen yesterday booked it for the 3rd of December was shocked at how quickly the later dates sold out, would yous prefer an interview early in November/December or to do it later around January I feel it would be best to get in early and try and make a great impression

I think I would choose an earlier date too. Are you from NI? The use of 'yous' makes me think so haha. Also what was your UKCAT score if you don't mind me asking?
One of my friends has an interview from Plymouth and the other has an interview from Birmingham. Both at the end of November!:biggrin:
Newcastle, Leicester, Plymouth, Birmingham and Cardiff have started giving out interviews.
Original post by RedLeaf
Newcastle, Leicester, Plymouth, Birmingham and Cardiff have started giving out interviews.

And Aberdeen, Bristol and St. Andrews :tongue:
Reply 149
Should I be worried that I haven't received a Birmingham interview yet? Or do they give them out gradually?
The fear has settled in... 😫
Got my Leicester interview email a couple of days ago for the 5th of January!! :smile: Happy is an understatement!
Original post by LaurenCocking
Got my Leicester interview email a couple of days ago for the 5th of January!! :smile: Happy is an understatement!

Wow
I thought they would normally give it 2 weeks before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied to Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Queen Mary's. I haven't received any interview offers yet. When should I expect a reply.
Original post by Tsar007
Did they offer you a conditional offer too? Mine is both for biomed in B'ham. If I make it firm, it's unconditional but if I make it an insurance, it becomes conditional.
I suppose if I get nothing, I can then make them firm :wink:

I got a conditional ABB offer for exercise biomedicine at Newcastle! I am considering applying to B'ham because i didn't fill in a 5th choice yet...I really want to go to Bristol though for Medicine so waiting to hear from them!
Original post by Bloom77
I'm sure MMI will be fine :smile:
Trust me, even I thought it's worse than panel :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely MMI is better though because you get asked by a different person at each question- so you can just repeat your answer if its good! No one will know, for example if its 12 stations, and you make 1 bad impression, that is still 11 good impressions AND each station is 5 mins...traditional is 20-40 mins with the same 2/3 people, what if you make a bad impression? its in front of all 3 of them...
How do you prepare for MMI?? Which books to read??

Can you advice a course which gives a Mock Interview for MMI please

Many thanks
Original post by MusabHasan
I applied to Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Queen Mary's. I haven't received any interview offers yet. When should I expect a reply.

3 BMAT unis (results are coming out in two weeks so no interviews will be given until then) and Barts don't interview until January - earliest you can expect to hear is the end of November (from BMAT unis if you've done well) and probably around December-January from Barts/other unis depending on your BMAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cestanton1
Surely MMI is better though because you get asked by a different person at each question- so you can just repeat your answer if its good! No one will know, for example if its 12 stations, and you make 1 bad impression, that is still 11 good impressions AND each station is 5 mins...traditional is 20-40 mins with the same 2/3 people, what if you make a bad impression? its in front of all 3 of them...

That is not true/ Each MMI station asses a different aspect, eg: work experience or mental maths. You can not repeat answers as the each station will ask you a different question.
Original post by harmer1998
That is not true/ Each MMI station asses a different aspect, eg: work experience or mental maths. You can not repeat answers as the each station will ask you a different question.

While what you've said is partly true, OP is also partly right because you could use the same example and apply it to many different stations that ask slightly different questions (why medicine/why this uni for med/what did you get from work experience/what did you gain from volunteering/etc.)

In general MMI does mean that you can recover from a particularly bad answer to one question by speaking to a new interviewer who isn't judging you on the stuff you just said the previous question. I also personally think it's less intense then a panel interview in the way that you don't have three people staring at while you try to be coherent :L it's more personal/relaxed when it's one to one like having a conversation with an acquaintance that shares similar interests :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending