The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambre
what kind of photo should I upload in the 'Interview Reply Form'? Would an ordinary photo do, or does it have to be a passport photo? They don't specify on the form

I just found a photo of me smiling where you can see my face clearly. At the top of the form it says none of the information will be shared with admissions, so I get the impression they keep a photo on file whilst you are in college (and then destroy it, as they say they will) just in case they need it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mechanism
Ok - I have a question in regards to interviews/offers. I'm not quite sure how offers are given out. So you have your interview(s), and say they went really well. Will you be given an offer based on this? there are so many limited spaces I'm afraid that even if I succeed at interview I still won't get a place. Does this make sense? Word has spread that I have an interview, and whilst people are congratulating me, I can't help but think in the end most people are rejected. So I don't want everyone to have high expectations if I do end up with a rejection post-interview.

Or does it work that once you get an interview, if you do really well you'll get an offer? Or is the chance of getting an offer still slim even after a great performance? This is long-winded but I need to clarify. Thanks!

I don't know how the system works but I suspect that they interview everybody and take notes. They then get round in a little huddle and decide, based on your entire files, which third to accept/which two-thirds to reject. That's all you need to know and it is out of your control.

You will have to get used to the idea that people from home don't always understand what is going on. You didn't tell them that you had an offer and it's really not your priority to dwell on it.

Your job is to get to the interview(s) in an optimal mental condition, enjoy your stay and then go home. It won't help to worry about whether you get an offer or not.
Original post by ilovecake123
where have you applied to?

Oxford, Imperial, Glasgow, Edinburgh - medicine for all, Imperial biochemistry as a fifth option
Original post by not you
Oxford, Imperial, Glasgow, Edinburgh - medicine for all, Imperial biochemistry as a fifth option

ahh we applied to the same bmat unis:smile:
Original post by ilovecake123
ahh we applied to the same bmat unis:smile:

I've seen lots of people who've done Oxford and Imperial lol, what were your other two unis?
Original post by not you
I've seen lots of people who've done Oxford and Imperial lol, what were your other two unis?

Yeah quite a popular combination and Cardiff and Nottingham cause my Ukcat was ****e :smile:
Original post by jneill

I could put a cheap jibe about Cambridge being more sociable but I won't.

You know you want to.
Original post by ForeignStudent32
There was counting on MAT? O_O Are you sure you got the correct year?

How could I didn't lol. In two multiple questions(lines splitting the plane and the integral overestimating one), I drew the graphs correctly but counted wrongly the number of parts a plane got split into and I didn't even calculate the area of the real integral and the estimation and put 'there is no overestimate' down directly. I was too nervous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok - I have a question in regards to interviews/offers. I'm not quite sure how offers are given out. So you have your interview(s), and say they went really well. Will you be given an offer based on this? there are so many limited spaces I'm afraid that even if I succeed at interview I still won't get a place. Does this make sense? Word has spread that I have an interview, and whilst people are congratulating me, I can't help but think in the end most people are rejected. So I don't want everyone to have high expectations if I do end up with a rejection post-interview.

Or does it work that once you get an interview, if you do really well you'll get an offer? Or is the chance of getting an offer still slim even after a great performance? This is long-winded but I need to clarify. Thanks!

If you do really well, you will probably get an offer unless your admission test scores are abysmal. Then, it is not as likely.

But the thing is, how would you know you would do really well? The tutors are very experienced interviewer, they will definitely find problems that will make you think deeply. Even if you solved the problem, you don't know if other solved the problem and if their approach was more clever and beautiful than yours. In which case, solving the problems in a brute force / uncreative way could possibly not do you much good if the problem are solved by many using better methods. You wouldn't be able to know how good your approach were unless you were extremely gifted in your field and intuitively sees the correct approach.
Original post by Renewhj
How could I didn't lol. In two multiple questions(lines splitting the plane and the integral overestimating one), I drew the graphs correctly but counted wrongly the number of parts a plane got split into and I didn't even calculate the area of the real integral and the estimation and put 'there is no overestimate' down directly. I was too nervous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehe, that happened to me too. I counted 10 regions in stead of 9., stupid mistakes. I guess it was alright since I still managed to get 8 MC, it would suck if I had 9MC and missed the last one for the perfect 40.
Original post by fs1
CONGRATS!
may i ask what your grades are as one of my friends has applied to the same college for the same course?

Shouldn't your friend got a reply already. Interview invitation at the same college, I believe, is sent simultaneously. However, it seems unusual that MAT shorlisting finished so fast.
Reply 5631
Anyone applied to biomed? 1 week til BMAT results! I'm pretty set up for a rejection :frown:
Well, if you dont an interview invitation or rejection within the next I guess 12 hour or so, or when you wake up. You have to wait for 3 more days until you will ever hear from them again.
Well, if you dont an interview invitation or rejection within the next I guess 12 hour or so, or when you wake up. You have to wait for 3 more days until you will ever hear from them again.

Why's that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hehe, that happened to me too. I counted 10 regions in stead of 9., stupid mistakes. I guess it was alright since I still managed to get 8 MC, it would suck if I had 9MC and missed the last one for the perfect 40.

I got 10 as well! Bloody mind was not working! I got only 6 MC right....

Posted from TSR Mobile

They generally don't have stuff coming out on the weekend.
Original post by polarmaple
They generally don't have stuff coming out on the weekend.

Hahaha that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonwithnoname
That's fantastic, congrats! Notts is a decent enough uni, what college have you applied to in Durham? :smile: what's attractive about UEA? It's never somewhere I've looked at with much thought tbh...

Cheers! Um, the one with the castle? It was more of a random application than anything else, Durham is so far away I doubt I'd go there. UEA is very good for my course and quite near home, lots of research/work experience opportunities there too.

I only know about medicine - the decision to offer after interview looks like it is based on an algorithm which includes your number of A* at GCSE, %age A*, context of GCSE, BMAT & interview performances.
Original post by physicsmaths
Init much better. Hence we have to interview so many people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought its because there are too many empty room at Cambridge and they are trying to fill it up for a merry christmas.

Latest

Trending

Trending