The Student Room Group

Can I take AS Further Maths in year 13?

I'm in year 12 at the moment. I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Art, but I don't actually go to Art lessons, my teacher just really didn't want me to drop it yet. I'm going to drop Art after AS because I really don't need it, however I really want to do Physics in higher education, and I know that having Further Maths too will be really helpful.

It's obviously too late now to take it this year, but is it possible to just do an AS in Further Maths? I'm asking because I know that it's not quite the same as most other courses. And if I get an A in AS Maths, will they let me do it?

I don't like the idea of only having four A-levels and an AS, and I really enjoy Maths, so I think I could do it.
Yeah it is!

A couple of friends of mine are doing it :smile:
Original post by JustJusty
I'm in year 12 at the moment. I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Art, but I don't actually go to Art lessons, my teacher just really didn't want me to drop it yet. I'm going to drop Art after AS because I really don't need it, however I really want to do Physics in higher education, and I know that having Further Maths too will be really helpful.

It's obviously too late now to take it this year, but is it possible to just do an AS in Further Maths? I'm asking because I know that it's not quite the same as most other courses. And if I get an A in AS Maths, will they let me do it?

I don't like the idea of only having four A-levels and an AS, and I really enjoy Maths, so I think I could do it.

This depends on your college/sixth form, ask if they will let you. If not you can ask some centres around you and see if you can sit AS FM there.
Original post by Ben4
This depends on your college/sixth form, ask if they will let you. If not you can ask some centres around you and see if you can sit AS FM there.

I live on a rock so my school is the only free 6th form, but I might ask. Thanks.
Original post by JustJusty
I live on a rock so my school is the only free 6th form, but I might ask. Thanks.

Oh right, if they offer FM at your 6th form then I cannot see the issue with you doing AS in year 13. The only issue there could be is if it clashes with your timetable, but if this happens you could ask to sit the FM AS exams at your sixth form and you could self-teach yourself using online resources and the textbooks. :smile:
Original post by Ben4
Oh right, if they offer FM at your 6th form then I cannot see the issue with you doing AS in year 13. The only issue there could be is if it clashes with your timetable, but if this happens you could ask to sit the FM AS exams at your sixth form and you could self-teach yourself using online resources and the textbooks. :smile:

The FM lesson is in my free block so it wouldn't clash. Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest