The Student Room Group

A-level Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths

im choosing my options soon and they are maths, physics, chemistry and further maths as i want to do engineering but are they really hard? everyone is advising me against doing further maths but i want to do it as i like maths. has anyone done this alevel combination?
Reply 1
My son did that same combination as he was considering Chemical Engineering. He enjoyed Maths too which was why he also took Further Maths. He did Further Maths in one year and didn't think it was any harder than Maths, just different.

He did eventually drop Chemistry as he had a poor teacher and did not want to spend too much time on one subject to the detriment of the others. He ended up taking Maths at uni, not Chemical Engineering.

I think any subject is hard if you find it hard. The next person may not find it hard. Some people find essay subjects hard. It's all subjective. If those are the subjects you enjoy and do well in, then take them. If after a few months you find the workload too much then drop one.
Reply 2
Original post by nutz99
My son did that same combination as he was considering Chemical Engineering. He enjoyed Maths too which was why he also took Further Maths. He did Further Maths in one year and didn't think it was any harder than Maths, just different.

He did eventually drop Chemistry as he had a poor teacher and did not want to spend too much time on one subject to the detriment of the others. He ended up taking Maths at uni, not Chemical Engineering.

I think any subject is hard if you find it hard. The next person may not find it hard. Some people find essay subjects hard. It's all subjective. If those are the subjects you enjoy and do well in, then take them. If after a few months you find the workload too much then drop one.

thank you so much!!
Reply 3
Original post by muirinn16
im choosing my options soon and they are maths, physics, chemistry and further maths as i want to do engineering but are they really hard? everyone is advising me against doing further maths but i want to do it as i like maths. has anyone done this alevel combination?

I have four friends taking this combo, I myself do the same but biology instead of physics. It’s hard but manageable. Like you I enjoyed maths so took FM, and that makes it a bit easier. FM again isnt necessarily wayyy harder, it just builds more on what you learn in maths. For me maths is easy because of this, so it feels less like 4 a levels I guess and more like 3 and a half? I can’t explain it, it’s just not as much work as I’d thought it would be. Ask your school if you can try this combo and maybe drop one after January mocks or AS if you really can’t cope
Reply 4
Original post by study23!
I have four friends taking this combo, I myself do the same but biology instead of physics. It’s hard but manageable. Like you I enjoyed maths so took FM, and that makes it a bit easier. FM again isnt necessarily wayyy harder, it just builds more on what you learn in maths. For me maths is easy because of this, so it feels less like 4 a levels I guess and more like 3 and a half? I can’t explain it, it’s just not as much work as I’d thought it would be. Ask your school if you can try this combo and maybe drop one after January mocks or AS if you really can’t cope

thank you sm! i think im defo gonna take them and i do have the option to drop one before halloween if its too much but i dont think it will be hopefully
Reply 5

i'm in yr 13 and do chem, physics and maths (not further tho) and applied for engineering for this year :smile: the subject combo is intense for sure but its quite enjoyable once you get in the swing of things and if you enjoy maths i say go for further maths too, you can always drop since it's not specifically required for engineering but its better to choose all 4 and see how you get on during a-levels :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by MP_25
i'm in yr 13 and do chem, physics and maths (not further tho) and applied for engineering for this year :smile: the subject combo is intense for sure but its quite enjoyable once you get in the swing of things and if you enjoy maths i say go for further maths too, you can always drop since it's not specifically required for engineering but its better to choose all 4 and see how you get on during a-levels :smile:

thank you!!
I'm in year 13 doing those subjects now, and I've applied for engineering at uni. I'd say do FM as a lot of the top engineering unis want it, and it feels a lot more enjoyable than normal maths.
The combo can definitely be a bit full on, especially around mocks, but if you stay on top of everything from the start it's much easier
Reply 8

This is a very popular combination at my school.
Reply 9
Original post by beetleplains
I'm in year 13 doing those subjects now, and I've applied for engineering at uni. I'd say do FM as a lot of the top engineering unis want it, and it feels a lot more enjoyable than normal maths.
The combo can definitely be a bit full on, especially around mocks, but if you stay on top of everything from the start it's much easier

thank you!! i do like maths so hopefully itll be fine :smile:
Reply 10

Yes FM is hard, but it depends on how passionate and good you are at maths. If you are on track to get a 9, or 8 min at GCSE, you could take it and see how you get along. If you end up dropping it, as many do, it would not be a waste as it would prob still help you with normal maths, especially if your school covers maths in year 12 and FM in year 13.
Reply 11
Original post by lalexm
Yes FM is hard, but it depends on how passionate and good you are at maths. If you are on track to get a 9, or 8 min at GCSE, you could take it and see how you get along. If you end up dropping it, as many do, it would not be a waste as it would prob still help you with normal maths, especially if your school covers maths in year 12 and FM in year 13.

i do further maths gcse aswell so i have actually already taken my gcse maths and i got full marks so hopefully i’ll be able to handle it at alevel! i think my school does do maths y12 and FM year13 so i do have the option of dropping if i need to. thank you !!

Quick Reply

Latest