The Student Room Group

Should I drop physics or further maths (just for consideration)

hi so I'm in year 12 currently doing my mocks and i feel like im flopping. I do Computer Science, Physics, Maths and Further maths. I've covered all of alevel maths and im doing alevel maths papers for my mocks. I want to drop physics as I have no interest in it at all and only picked it because it was maths based. However my peers have told me if i do want to drop a subject, it should be further maths, but I feel like I will enjoy that more. Physics is meant to be more useful, so if I did drop it would it be a disadvantage to me? I'm not sure what unis would think about maths, comp sci and f maths as f maths seems a bit like a half-subject. It's not definite that i will be dropping them, its just a thought in my mind and i may just firm it and keep all my subjects, depends if i have flopped my mocks. So yeah any thoughts/advice, thanks
Mock exams don't really matter in the long run so if you can recognise the issues and address them then there's not necessarily any need to drop anything. Obviously though if you're struggling with the workload otherwise, don't enjoy physics, and know you won't do anything requiring it at degree level, then equally there's no reason not to drop that in principle.

That said, one thing to bear in mind is if you will be taking the full A-level Maths in year 12, dropping a subject now and then only taking 2 A-level exams in year 13, this may be an issue for a small number of universities/courses who expect you to take 3 A-level exams in one sitting.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Mock exams don't really matter in the long run so if you can recognise the issues and address them then there's not necessarily any need to drop anything. Obviously though if you're struggling with the workload otherwise, don't enjoy physics, and know you won't do anything requiring it at degree level, then equally there's no reason not to drop that in principle.

That said, one thing to bear in mind is if you will be taking the full A-level Maths in year 12, dropping a subject now and then only taking 2 A-level exams in year 13, this may be an issue for a small number of universities/courses who expect you to take 3 A-level exams in one sitting.

Thnx, just to clarify i meant the alevel maths paper is for my mocks, i'll still be sitting the real one next year, its just that we covered all of maths in 1 year so we can cover further maths in year 13. I also been told that dropping and doing 3 subjects could seem like i couldnt handle the work load which could be be an issue for unis.
Original post by sxkar64
Thnx, just to clarify i meant the alevel maths paper is for my mocks, i'll still be sitting the real one next year, its just that we covered all of maths in 1 year so we can cover further maths in year 13. I also been told that dropping and doing 3 subjects could seem like i couldnt handle the work load which could be be an issue for unis.

Most unis wouldn't have an issue with that. Normally students only do 3 subjects which is all that is required by unis, and is the expected workload they want to see you succeed in. A*A*A >> A*ABC as far as unis are concerned.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
I think that if you don't have any interest in physics you shouldn't do it. I was in a similar situation when I was choosing my subjects, currently though, I do maths, computer science and further maths. I thought about physics cause I was worried further maths wouldn't count as a subject but I asked around and spoke to a few people and it definitely does count as one. It also completely depends on what you want to study in uni. If you're thinking of engineering then you'd probably need physics, I want to study computer science at uni so I just didn't pick physics

Quick Reply

Latest