The Student Room Group

Bad predicted grades in year 12

Ok so basically we’ve just done a set of mock in yr12 and I got BBDC with the bs in bio and chem and the c in core maths and the D in psychology and all my teachers say they think I’ll achieve a BBBB but I want to apply to medicine in 2024 so really I need an AAAA😭😭 do u think I can improve my grades to an A? And ever since the mock I got my first A in pyschology
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by beverlxyyy
Ok so basically we’ve just done a set of mock in yr12 and I got BBDC with the bs in bio and chem and the c in core maths and the D in psychology and all my teachers say they think I’ll achieve a BBBB but I want to apply to medicine in 2024 so really I need an AAAA😭😭 do u think I can improve my grades to an A? And ever since the mock I got my first A in pyschology

Use YouTube videos and past papers. Achieve A star and A grades and gain work experience and then apply for Medicine next year. 🙂

Almost all medical schools only look into 3 alevels and ignore the 4th (unless they did so bad). I’m a year 13 and applied to medicine. Originally I had 4 alevels too but I dropped in the 2nd week of year12 knowing that it is of better benefit to achieve 3 high alevels than an average 4alevels. When you approach year 13 the content for bio chem will go up by twice and workload as well. Idk for psychology tho I didn’t take it. Just a lil suggestion but maybe you can consider dropping one of your alevels ? Maybe math given that your perform psycho better than math(?

N also will u do an epq as well? If that’s the case then dropping an alevel will be a wise decision and better than having 4 alevels without epq. Although epq won’t contribute to the ucas tariff for most medical schools and they won’t use epq as a factor in the selection process, it will definitely help with your personal statement and you can gain more soft skills which medical schools look into. You can reflect upon your soft skills learnt during interviews and that’s what makes you stand out in an application. For me, I initially have 4 alevels but I dropped one, so now I have 3 and one epq

It is also important to be aware that most content in second half of year 12 and in year 13 will be based on what you’ve learnt in the first half of year 12, so I recommend you clear the concepts of what you’ve learnt first, and consolidate and make sure you understand and process the content taught (especially for chem and bio). Achieving an A isn’t that hard when you have your concepts understood and have done many practice papers. But if you wanted to go into med school, other than improving your alevels, you probably want to start prepping UCAT after Easter id say. Some prepare for 6 months, but for me I only prepped for 5 weeks. Most med schools weigh UCAT more than predicted grades as long as you have the entry requirement achieved (mostly AAA or A*AA unless you r applying to oxbridge)
Reply 5
Original post by usernamecsk
Almost all medical schools only look into 3 alevels and ignore the 4th (unless they did so bad). I’m a year 13 and applied to medicine. Originally I had 4 alevels too but I dropped in the 2nd week of year12 knowing that it is of better benefit to achieve 3 high alevels than an average 4alevels. When you approach year 13 the content for bio chem will go up by twice and workload as well. Idk for psychology tho I didn’t take it. Just a lil suggestion but maybe you can consider dropping one of your alevels ? Maybe math given that your perform psycho better than math(?

Core Maths isn't an A level
Original post by Muttley79

Core Maths isn't an A level

Nope, it’s an a level subject. It’s called simple maths. There’s also further maths where you can take it as a separate alevel. However you can only take it when you are taking simple maths (at least for our school.) for me, I initially have chem bio simple maths and further maths (so 4). But then I dropped further math with single math chem and bio left. I also know there are people who only choose chem bio psycho as their a levels. But just a heads up, there are quite lots of calculation involved in chem so it’s better to take math too.
Reply 7
Original post by usernamecsk
Nope, it’s an a level subject. It’s called simple maths. There’s also further maths where you can take it as a separate alevel. However you can only take it when you are taking simple maths (at least for our school.) for me, I initially have chem bio simple maths and further maths (so 4). But then I dropped further math with single math chem and bio left. I also know there are people who only choose chem bio psycho as their a levels. But just a heads up, there are quite lots of calculation involved in chem so it’s better to take math too.

No it's a new course equalivalent to an AS.

https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/core-maths/

You can easily improve with the right mindset. But if you don’t do so well on a levels don’t think it’s the end for medicine. For me I did really well in yr 12 but flopped my a levels (got BBB). However I’ve applied for medicine with a foundation year instead and now I’ve got 2 interviews so far. So do look into medicine with a foundation year to see if your eligible - you need to meet the universities WP criteria

Quick Reply

Latest