The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

The first half was pretty crap but the second half was wonderful! I can't believe we finally got to see the singing towers! It was so sad:cry2: That really must be the last time we see River then:frown: Shame because I think her and 12 worked well together.
that was alright :smile: no clara so that is a plus :biggrin:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
The first half was pretty crap but the second half was wonderful! I can't believe we finally got to see the singing towers! It was so sad:cry2: That really must be the last time we see River then:frown: Shame because I think her and 12 worked well together.

I agree! I loved the chemistry they had - I've never been too keen on River, but I really liked the dynamic between her and 12.

Original post by CoolCavy
that was alright :smile: no clara so that is a plus :biggrin:

No Clara is always a plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK.

Can someone tell me, I haven't watched it yet?

Did River say "Hello sweetie" at all or any other typical cringe dialogue in the episode?
Original post by somemightsay888
OK.

Did River say "Hello sweetie" at all or any other typical cringe dialogue in the episode?

No she didn't say those two words.... He did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by somemightsay888
OK.

She spoke so there was cringe dialogue (Apparently "I'm an archaeologist" is now a valid explanation for prescient knowledge of things unrelated to archaeology...) but not that specific line.

Hopefully that's the end of River now then, awful character with her horrifically smarmy voice and attitude, and pathetic lines. Thought the robot king thing was far too clunky and even though he wasn't around all that much, there was still far too much matt lucas in it.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
She spoke so there was cringe dialogue (Apparently "I'm an archaeologist" is now a valid explanation for prescient knowledge of things unrelated to archaeology...) but not that specific line.

Hopefully that's the end of River now then, awful character with her horrifically smarmy voice and attitude, and pathetic lines. Thought the robot king thing was far too clunky and even though he wasn't around all that much, there was still far too much matt lucas in it.

Just saw it, ffs her monologue was such cringe as well as being done-to-death, lazy, "Doctor is an angry scary man lel" ****e. There was no plot either; The King had no motive, he wasn't even a villain really and the robot was defeated because he didn't have AVG Anti-Virus installed :rofl:

I don't think it's the end for River as the episode had no weight at all behind it, I bet you in 2 years time when Capaldi leaves we'll get another ensemble-cast episode comprising of the rest of the companions after Donna in some big 2 parter. They'll get Amy and Rory back through retconning.

Smh.
Reply 5087
Robot King looked exactly like Baymax from big hero six!

I got bored of waiting for her to realise who he was, but the last 10 minutes? Oh my goodness :heart:

Also, as an archaeology graduate, I love the idea of a sonic trowel!
I have to say this has to be my favorite Christmas special and my favorite episode including Capaldi. I adore River Song and that ending was perfect! I really enjoyed the dynamic between capaldi and river, much more than capaldi and Clara; and think for the first time the episode balanced out humor and drama well. Yes it wasn't a villain centric episode, but I still enjoyed learning more about the relationship between the doctor and river. Her speech about how she loves the doctor and how she felt he didn't love her back was beautiful, and I seriously would love to see her back. I'm still hoping that the doctor does find a way to save her and bring her back as a companion every now and again...but I don't see that happening. I think if this was river's final episode I would be satisfied with her end because there was closure and we all know that she is heading to the library next so it does complete the cycle....

Overall I am really pleased with this episode and am finally enjoying watching capaldi as the doctor!!!
For someone who actually hates River Song, I was surprised to find I quite enjoyed that episode (apart from the final bit with the text!)
Original post by greeneyedgirl
For someone who actually hates River Song, I was surprised to find I quite enjoyed that episode (apart from the final bit with the text!)

Exactly! I don't like River, but she and 12 actually had quite a lot of chemistry and it made their scenes sometimes enjoyable

And oh, yes - what even was that text? Wasn't a fan.
I don't think it was as good as past Christmas episodes hmm

Oh Great more Clara! Why can't there be a spin of showing what happens in the 27 years that River and the doctor spend together - that's a show I would personally love to watch!
Original post by Teddysmith123
Oh Great more Clara! Why can't there be a spin of showing what happens in the 27 years that River and the doctor spend together - that's a show I would personally love to watch!

Yeah:daydreaming:
People realise that isn't a clara spinoff right? There's absolutely no mention of her being in it for a start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
People realise that isn't a clara spinoff right? There's absolutely no mention of her being in it for a start

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. It isn't a Clara spinoff.
Yeah, Steven Moffat lies but he said Clara's story is done. Jenna Coleman wants to do other things.
Can't remember where it's been mentioned but it has been said that it is a new set of characters. Own show, related to Doctor Who. It will be like The Sarah Jane Adventures where the Doctor can appear in a few episodes when they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't notice these strong references back to the 10th doctor:

https://youtu.be/t-wgLFj6bbI
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest