The Student Room Group

Article: Medical school A Level requirements

Scroll to see replies

Will universities prefer students with 3 or more science A levels over those with 2 science A levels for medicine. I understand UCL quite like contrasting subjects, but I want to know about others. I don't want to not do a 3rd science A level, and for universities to reject me because I didn't show as much competence and capability at handling the hardcore science subjects. Please help
Reply 21
Original post by steamedyaoi
Will universities prefer students with 3 or more science A levels over those with 2 science A levels for medicine. I understand UCL quite like contrasting subjects, but I want to know about others. I don't want to not do a 3rd science A level, and for universities to reject me because I didn't show as much competence and capability at handling the hardcore science subjects. Please help

UCL is the only university that gives preference to a contrasting subject.
hi im in the same situation, could you please tell me the medical schools that accept lower grades :frown: I cannot seem to find them. I would really appreciate it.

thanks
Reply 23
Original post by anneysmithey
hi im in the same situation, could you please tell me the medical schools that accept lower grades :frown: I cannot seem to find them. I would really appreciate it.

thanks

For A-Level? Generally most medical schools require at an absolute minimum AAA, with lots now wanting A*AA plus.
Original post by Beska
For A-Level? Generally most medical schools require at an absolute minimum AAA, with lots now wanting A*AA plus.

for everything really, I mean I know some med schools like Cambridge and Birmingham want A* GCSEs and all AAA for A-levels, but some others don't require such high grades, I was wondering if anyone could list the med schools that don't have such high requirements, which med schools are the lowest requiring ?
Reply 25
Original post by anneysmithey
for everything really, I mean I know some med schools like Cambridge and Birmingham want A* GCSEs and all AAA for A-levels, but some others don't require such high grades, I was wondering if anyone could list the med schools that don't have such high requirements, which med schools are the lowest requiring ?

Medical school A-Level requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Medical school GCSE requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Ensure you always check with the medical school directly (by checking their online prospectus) to make sure requirements have not changed before you apply.

Lots of general information e.g. work experience, UKCAT, BMAT, etc. on our FAQ here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs
Original post by saba.A
hi ,
my GCSE grades are :
Maths , Biology , Chemistry at grade B.
my English and human health and physiology at Grade C

I have only started my A levels this year , am I am able to apply for medicine with these grades of GCSE ?

Well I have 5A's and 4B's and I think my GCSEs are relatively weak for medicine; if I were you I wouldn't completely rule medicine out, but getting into a uk medical school will be very hard. You will need Really good A-levels and a high ukcat/bmat score.
You can do medicine abroad in Bulgaria with grades BB in Bio and Chem,
If you want to apply message me ASAP :smile:
So would I get into Manchester if I only did biology, chemistry and maths? With the required grades, do I need to do another subject at as? I'm really confused
Original post by Biomed SS
You can do medicine abroad in Bulgaria with grades BB in Bio and Chem,
If you want to apply message me ASAP :smile:

How does one go about applying for medicine in Bulgaria?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
So I got 4A*, 3A and 2B at iGCSE, but I'm doing pre-U at the moment. Does anyone know what Cambridge would offer using Pre-U marks rather than AS levels?
Also, as I didn't do so well in GCSEs, will that affect my offer?
Reply 31
Original post by saba.A
hi ,
my GCSE grades are :
Maths , Biology , Chemistry at grade B.
my English and human health and physiology at Grade C

I have only started my A levels this year , am I am able to apply for medicine with these grades of GCSE ?

It shouldn't make too much of a difference, but top Universities may not accept you or at least give you harder entry requirements. It's not too late to turn it around, but most medics apply with at least 5 or 6 A*s in GCSE
Reply 32
Original post by Leilachent
No no no please don't give up, you can do this!
I'm doing these subjects too and although they suck, I can't wait to get to uni and study medicine. It's daunting, but there are other universities that aren't mentioned on the list who require lower grades if that's what you're worried about. But come on! You can do this.

http://youtu.be/nuHfVn_cfHU

:smile:

I have Cs in my AS levels. Im searching for universities with low grade requirements too. Could you tell me a few? Which focus less on the grades and more on the personal statement maybe? Or the overall application?
Original post by steamedyaoi

Oxbridge generally prefer 3 Sciences - other UK Medical Schools are more flexible on the 3rd A Level.
General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted
anywhere. as A levels good enough to study Medicine
Original post by Leenz3
I have Cs in my AS levels. Im searching for universities with low grade requirements too. Could you tell me a few? Which focus less on the grades and more on the personal statement maybe? Or the overall application?

What are you predicted for A2? The lowest grade requirements at any UK med school for 5 year programmes is AAA - this is the minimum regardless of other aspects of your application, unless you are eligible for one of the handful of widening access programmes which accept lower grades if you meet certain criteria (live within a certain deprived area, come from a poor performing school etc, exact requirements vary with programmes).
Original post by G_W-G
So I got 4A*, 3A and 2B at iGCSE, but I'm doing pre-U at the moment. Does anyone know what Cambridge would offer using Pre-U marks rather than AS levels?
Also, as I didn't do so well in GCSEs, will that affect my offer?

Cambridge includes information about the offers they give for pre-u on the general undergraduate prospectus (applying) section of their website.

Cambridge don't look at GCSEs as heavily as Oxford do, placing emphasis on high A-level UMS (or in this case your pre-u marks) and the BMAT, however most successful applicants achieve mostly A*s in their GCSEs, for example in 2010 only 5 successful applicants had 4 or fewer A*s (https://www.sel.cam.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/04-Application-Process.pdf), this doesn't mean it's impossible but it does mean you may be at a disadvantage and all other aspects of your application would have to be stellar.

Remember that all med schools are good med schools and if you want to be a doctor it really doesn't matter where you study at the end of the day, for foundation training the deanery doesn't even see where you went.
Original post by Meegan543210
So would I get into Manchester if I only did biology, chemistry and maths? With the required grades, do I need to do another subject at as? I'm really confused

Manchester state their policy on this on their medicine entry requirements page, they require a 4th subject at AS unless your school provides them with written proof that your school does not allow students to take a 4th subject at AS.
I've got 8 B's and 1 A at GCSE do i have a chance and any advice on unis that don't look at GCSE's as much
Original post by theresheglows
Manchester state their policy on this on their medicine entry requirements page, they require a 4th subject at AS unless your school provides them with written proof that your school does not allow students to take a 4th subject at AS.

That's weird I emailed them and they said I only need to do 3 a2 subjects, no extra as or a2 is an advantage to the medicine course :/
Original post by Meegan543210
That's weird I emailed them and they said I only need to do 3 a2 subjects, no extra as or a2 is an advantage to the medicine course :/

I'm just going by what they say on their website under AS-level requirements here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/01428/mbchb-medicine/entry-requirements/

If their admissions department has told you you only need 3 A2 then I would go with that as they should know best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending