The Student Room Group

Should I swap A-Level Biology for Physics?

My current A-Level options are Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths and I would like to study Medicine. However, I can’t help but think of physics (one of my favourite subjects) and I am in two minds about swapping biology for physics. I have heard that you NEED biology to survive med school however I cannot stand the cell and plant biology which seems to make up a large part of the course- I was wondering if I took physics, could I still get into med school and cope? (Part of me has not yet fully decided between going into medicine or medical physics). I am hoping to go to Cambridge or Manchester uni and am starting my A-Levels in September. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
You don’t absolutely need biology for med school but if you don’t take it at a level, you have way fewer med schools to choose and apply to. Why don’t you switch maths and physics instead bevause in this case maths is technically the 3rd optional subject
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by marble arch
You don’t absolutely need biology for med school but if you don’t take it at a level, you have way fewer med schools to choose and apply to. Why don’t you switch maths and physics instead bevause in this case maths is technically the 3rd optional subject

Unfortunately my school doesn’t allow further maths taken without maths and they are my favourite subjects :/
Original post by Erudite2021
Unfortunately my school doesn’t allow further maths taken without maths and they are my favourite subjects :/

Ah ok, didnt see that you take further maths too. Have you done any medical work experience to confirm whether medicine is for you as I know your also interested in medical physics
Reply 5
Ah ok, didnt see that you take further maths too. Have you done any medical work experience to confirm whether medicine is for you as I know your also interested in medical physics

Not yet, but I have some planned however, this is taking place once my a-levels have began due to high demand.
My current A-Level options are Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths and I would like to study Medicine. However, I can’t help but think of physics (one of my favourite subjects) and I am in two minds about swapping biology for physics. I have heard that you NEED biology to survive med school however I cannot stand the cell and plant biology which seems to make up a large part of the course- I was wondering if I took physics, could I still get into med school and cope? (Part of me has not yet fully decided between going into medicine or medical physics). I am hoping to go to Cambridge or Manchester uni and am starting my A-Levels in September. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Only about 1/3 of medical schools require A-level Biology for admission, and if they don't require it for admission purposes then they are perfectly happy to take those with other subject(s) and have structured their course in such a way that it does not presuppose that content.
Not yet, but I have some planned however, this is taking place once my a-levels have began due to high demand.

after some research it actually turns out most medical schools dont require biology.its chemistry which is essential then its usually one of maths/physics/biology or any other subject so apologies for my first reply! since that is the case, I'd swap bio for physics if I was you. Ithe only medical schools which require biology are:
aston
birmingham
bsms
cardiff
edge hill
yea
exeter
pretty sure all the London ones excluding qmul
leeds
Lincoln
notts
and I think that is it? (double check this though as I just did a rough flick through this:https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/entry-requirements-for-2024-start?page=4). so you have alot of choice from the remaining medical schools.
Reply 8
after some research it actually turns out most medical schools dont require biology.its chemistry which is essential then its usually one of maths/physics/biology or any other subject so apologies for my first reply! since that is the case, I'd swap bio for physics if I was you. Ithe only medical schools which require biology are:
aston
birmingham
bsms
cardiff
edge hill
yea
exeter
pretty sure all the London ones excluding qmul
leeds
Lincoln
notts
and I think that is it? (double check this though as I just did a rough flick through this:https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/entry-requirements-for-2024-start?page=4). so you have alot of choice from the remaining medical schools.

UEA don't require bio, it's an either or.
Plus Southampton, Plymouth and HYMS do need it.
Lancaster would also be ruled out with OP's combination of subjects
Chemistry is not essential, either, though - there are 13 med schools that do not need it
Reply 9
Just be aware that entry requirements can change. I’ve just found out that the medical school I’m going to now requires biology in addition to chemistry and it didn’t even last year. I’m presuming it may have something to do with the BMAT being dropped from the entry requirements. But it shows that medical schools can change requirements fairly arbitrarily. Theoretically, you could find yourself with fewer options next year than you thought you had.

Chemistry and biology together will give you the most options for application. I do get why you would want to focus on your favourite subject and there’s definitely an argument for doing that if you think it will get you the best grades. But as your UCAT result nearly always narrows your choices somewhat, giving yourself the most options is always a sensible choice in theory alone.
Reply 10
Original post by TMTDRN
Just be aware that entry requirements can change. I’ve just found out that the medical school I’m going to now requires biology in addition to chemistry and it didn’t even last year. I’m presuming it may have something to do with the BMAT being dropped from the entry requirements. But it shows that medical schools can change requirements fairly arbitrarily. Theoretically, you could find yourself with fewer options next year than you thought you had.

Chemistry and biology together will give you the most options for application. I do get why you would want to focus on your favourite subject and there’s definitely an argument for doing that if you think it will get you the best grades. But as your UCAT result nearly always narrows your choices somewhat, giving yourself the most options is always a sensible choice in theory alone.

Almost all med school have now published 2024 entry requirements, and only Leeds have changed A level policies so far - though some have changed grade requirements!
But you are right, med shcools have been known to alter their policies even shortly before the UCAS deadline, so people should always check their information is current
Reply 11
Original post by GANFYD
Almost all med school have now published 2024 entry requirements, and only Leeds have changed A level policies so far - though some have changed grade requirements!
But you are right, med shcools have been known to alter their policies even shortly before the UCAS deadline, so people should always check their information is current

But this would be for 2025 entry wouldn’t it?
Reply 12
Original post by TMTDRN
But this would be for 2025 entry wouldn’t it?

Yes, but that is one of only about 3 or 4 subject requirement changes I can remember in 10 years of doing this, and OP can only use the information currently available as a guide.
You are right, and information needs to be confirmed nearer the time
Reply 13
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, but that is one of only about 3 or 4 subject requirement changes I can remember in 10 years of doing this, and OP can only use the information currently available as a guide.
You are right, and information needs to be confirmed nearer the time

I suppose I would always advocate keeping as many options open as you can. There are a number of people myself included who face real restrictions in where they can apply due to geography, family circumstances, UCAT scores etc and I just feel compelled to encourage people who have genuine freedom from these constraints not to end up imposing further constraints on themselves.

Medical school applications are so strategic and as someone who did my first degree with a wide open field of options where I could freely choose the course I liked and the university that I loved, I can say that not being able to do that is a bit depressing. Given how much medical school courses can vary in format, delivery methods and structure, placement quality etc., you would surely want to give yourself that choice if you could. I see so many stories online of people who really hated where they ended up and it being just a really bad fit. It’s definitely worth trying to give yourself the best possible range of choices.
Reply 14
Original post by TMTDRN
I suppose I would always advocate keeping as many options open as you can. There are a number of people myself included who face real restrictions in where they can apply due to geography, family circumstances, UCAT scores etc and I just feel compelled to encourage people who have genuine freedom from these constraints not to end up imposing further constraints on themselves.

Medical school applications are so strategic and as someone who did my first degree with a wide open field of options where I could freely choose the course I liked and the university that I loved, I can say that not being able to do that is a bit depressing. Given how much medical school courses can vary in format, delivery methods and structure, placement quality etc., you would surely want to give yourself that choice if you could. I see so many stories online of people who really hated where they ended up and it being just a really bad fit. It’s definitely worth trying to give yourself the best possible range of choices.

I also advocate keeping options open.
Except AAB including chem and bio closes far more doors than AAA not including biology.
The key issue is achieving at least AAA at A level. Everything else can be worked round. And most med schools will not take FM into consideration if maths is being counted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending