The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aula
Robot King looked exactly like Baymax from big hero six!

I got bored of waiting for her to realise who he was, but the last 10 minutes? Oh my goodness :heart:

Also, as an archaeology graduate, I love the idea of a sonic trowel!

And Baymax looked like a generic Japanese anime stereotypical robot, nothing new there really.
Original post by SkyJP
Didn't notice these strong references back to the 10th doctor:

https://youtu.be/t-wgLFj6bbI
Posted from TSR Mobile

Me neither, actually, that's a very good video to summarise her death.

I've only just watched the Christmas special, but I have to say that I thought it was fantastic. I especially loved it when The Doctor got to pretend he didn't know that the Tardis was bigger on the inside and he was saying "Finally! It's my turn!". Found it a bit odd that River didn't pick up on all the "Doctor" references that Capaldi kept making, but then when you've been told that he only has 12 regenerations I suppose she has to assume that he's not him.
(edited 8 years ago)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35388748

Moffat to leave in Spring 2017 and be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall.

Interesting development.
I'm more bothered by the radio times report suggesting that we'll just get a Christmas special this year with the next series in 2017 so moffats final series can be a special event for the fans. Ffs - show runner leaving is not a special event :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I'm more bothered by the radio times report suggesting that we'll just get a Christmas special this year with the next series in 2017 so moffats final series can be a special event for the fans. Ffs - show runner leaving is not a special event :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait ... what?! :facepalm:

There's a reason I've stayed away from Sherlock, FGS. I seriously hope they're not going to try this crap with DW.

Also, the only special thing about Moffat leaving is the fact Moffat will be leaving. :laugh:
Original post by acupofgreentea
Wait ... what?! :facepalm:

There's a reason I've stayed away from Sherlock, FGS. I seriously hope they're not going to try this crap with DW.

Also, the only special thing about Moffat leaving is the fact Moffat will be leaving. :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what the BBC article suggests also.

"His last series will go out in spring 2017 following a Christmas special, after which he will be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall."

I understand Capaldi wanted less Dr. Who episodes or something along those lines, but the next series of Dr. Who being in Spring 2017 is quite bizarre.
(edited 8 years ago)
And with sherlock probably not being on this year either after the new year special what will Moffat be doing?

Making us wait is not a special event - it's just annoying
I am so so so so so glad he's leaving. Maybe Doctor Who can get back to the good old days now! Fighting monsters, saving planets, adventures and excitement all nicely finished in an episode (or sometimes a very neat 2 parter). No more impossible girls that never really got explained, no more Me... Yayyyyy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I am so so so so so glad he's leaving. Maybe Doctor Who can get back to the good old days now! Fighting monsters, saving planets, adventures and excitement all nicely finished in an episode (or sometimes a very neat 2 parter). No more impossible girls that never really got explained, no more Me... Yayyyyy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In fairness the old days were usually 5/6 part stories, but agreed. One of my friends has said with moffat its too often fanfic rather than genuine stories - and that's fair. Things like adding another doctor just to get to 13 so he could be the one to give the doctor more regenerations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah yes but they were small story arcs rather than major ones. Like bad Wolf existed but the episodes stood alone too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Ah yes but they were small story arcs rather than major ones. Like bad Wolf existed but the episodes stood alone too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant the original series rather than the reboot

Posted from TSR Mobile
I meant the original series rather than the reboot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah brain fail!
What were people's favourite/least favourite Moffat episodes from his time as head writer?

Favourite:
The Eleventh Hour
Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
Asylum of the Daleks
The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar
Heaven Sent

Least Favourite:
The Beast Below
The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe
A Good Man Goes To War
The Wedding of River Song
The Husbands of River Song

The rest were okay (The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, Let's Kill Hitler, Angels Take Manhattan, The Snowmen, The Bells of St John, The Name/Day/Time of the Doctor, Deep Breath, Listen, Death In Heaven, Last Christmas, Hell Bent).
I expected big things from Moffat when he was appointed head writer because I really liked all of his episodes when RTD was head writer, was a bit disappointed given how much a mixed bag his series and episodes were. Looking forward to see what Chris Chibnall comes up with. the only episode I liked of his was '42'.
Evening, folks, I have a challenge for you all! How many eps of New Who can you name? :colone:

Should be able to get a decent score whichever series you've watched, so no excuses :mmm:

Post results here :h:
Reply 5114
Original post by Hugs31
What were people's favourite/least favourite Moffat episodes from his time as head writer?

Favourite:
The Eleventh Hour
Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
Asylum of the Daleks
The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar
Heaven Sent

Least Favourite:
The Beast Below
The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe
A Good Man Goes To War
The Wedding of River Song
The Husbands of River Song

The rest were okay (The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, Let's Kill Hitler, Angels Take Manhattan, The Snowmen, The Bells of St John, The Name/Day/Time of the Doctor, Deep Breath, Listen, Death In Heaven, Last Christmas, Hell Bent).
I expected big things from Moffat when he was appointed head writer because I really liked all of his episodes when RTD was head writer, was a bit disappointed given how much a mixed bag his series and episodes were. Looking forward to see what Chris Chibnall comes up with. the only episode I liked of his was '42'.

Let's kill hitler :wink:
Original post by shadowdweller
Evening, folks, I have a challenge for you all! How many eps of New Who can you name? :colone:

Should be able to get a decent score whichever series you've watched, so no excuses :mmm:

Post results here :h:

113/130, should have been more but ran out of typing time :frown:

Capture.PNG
Original post by Kyx
Let's kill hitler :wink:

Nightmare in Silver.
Reply 5117
Original post by Rakas21
Nightmare in Silver.

The Day of the doctor is my fave :redface:
Original post by *Interrobang*
And with sherlock probably not being on this year either after the new year special what will Moffat be doing?

Making us wait is not a special event - it's just annoying

Oh my god, I hadn't actually thought of that. What will he be doing? Because as far as I know, he isn't really working on anything else...

Apparently he said that he's postponing the next season of Doctor Who until next year because of the Olympic Games, but that sounds like BS to me. And he didn't do that in 2012, when the Olympic Games were actually in London, so... yeah. I'm calling BS on this one.

And my biggest fear for Doctor Who at the moment is that Moffat will spend ages on the story arc for season 10, and it'll make even less sense than the past five seasons that we've already received from him.

It also really annoys me how it is basically being treated like a leaving party for Moffat, especially when quite a lot of fans who started watching the show in RTD's era, or even Classic Who in some occasions, don't like him at all. Yeah, David Tennant and Matt Smith got special episodes for when they left the show (and Eccleston didn't really, which annoys me because he was one of my favourite Doctors), BUT THAT'S BECAUSE THEY WERE PLAYING THE MAIN CHARACTER. Moffat is just a showrunner - as far as the actual story goes, he is not the most important person on the show, The Doctor is. And he isn't even very good at his job.

I honestly believe he would have been better off if he just stayed as a regular scriptwriter for the odd episode, because his stand-alone episodes are actually really good (he wrote Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, etc.), but he just can't handle story arcs very well. The storyline with Missy in season 8 was okay, I guess, but it definitely wasn't the best story arc that we've seen in Doctor Who over the last 53 years.

Oh, and apparently Chibnall is going to give the show a fresh start when he takes over. Capaldi is still going to be The Doctor though, but I think he's going to be leaving after the next two seasons.
Original post by Converse&Roses
And he isn't even very good at his job.

I honestly believe he would have been better off if he just stayed as a regular scriptwriter for the odd episode, because his stand-alone episodes are actually really good (he wrote Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, etc.), but he just can't handle story arcs very well. The storyline with Missy in season 8 was okay, I guess, but it definitely wasn't the best story arc that we've seen in Doctor Who over the last 53 years.

As you say people began with RTD, so I will say to that people ignore how RTD era was just as bad if not worse than Moffats in terms of making no sense, rushed finales/series long plot twists and nods to the fans.

By the way its SERIES 8, we are not in America ya know :wink: Too many Americanisms these days lol.

Quick Reply

Latest