The Student Room Group

I am about to pull my hair ...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
solution = {roots}

{solutions} = {}

In this context, it is standard to say 'a solution' to mean 'a value of x x that makes the equation true.'
i.e. {solutions of 1+x2+4x2x+1=0 1 + \sqrt{x^2 + 4} - x - \sqrt{2x + 1} = 0 } = {roots of 1+x2+4x2x+11 + \sqrt{x^2 + 4} - x - \sqrt{2x + 1}}

Using the plain English definition of 'solution', sure, there is only one solution to the problem - the set written above.
(Even then, what you've written is incorrect: {solutions} = {{roots}}.)
Original post by studentro
In this context, it is standard to say 'a solution' to mean 'a value of x x that makes the equation true.'
i.e. {solutions of 1+x2+4x2x+1=0 1 + \sqrt{x^2 + 4} - x - \sqrt{2x + 1} = 0 } = {roots of 1+x2+4x2x+11 + \sqrt{x^2 + 4} - x - \sqrt{2x + 1}}

Using the plain English definition of 'solution', sure, there is only one solution to the problem - the set written above.
(Even then, what you've written is incorrect: {solutions} = {{roots}}.)

it is incorrect to refer to more than one solution to an equation.
it is incorrect to refer to more than one solution to an equation.

While what you're suggesting does seem like a more sensible way of using the word, it is standard practice to use it the way I've described. Asking google/a teacher/a professor will confirm this.
While what you're suggesting does seem like a more sensible way of using the word, it is standard practice to use it the way I've described. Asking google/a teacher/a professor will confirm this.

it's just that in math we use words precisely ?
it's just that in math we use words precisely ?

As I've said, ask google/a teacher/a professor. 'Precisely' does not mean 'perfectly in line with the everyday English definition'.
As I've said, ask google/a teacher/a professor. 'Precisely' does not mean 'perfectly in line with the everyday English definition'.

this is the math forum, not the "everyday English forum" :toofunny:
this is the math forum, not the "everyday English forum" :toofunny:

Exactly. The way you're using the word makes more sense in everyday English, but it's not how we use it in mathematics.

In mathematics, when we talk about "a solution of an equation f(x)=0 f(x) = 0" we mean "a root of f(x) f(x) ". Equivalently, this means "a value of x x that make the equation true."

This is just a quibble about definitions and standard use - looking it up/asking someone will reveal that I'm correct.
in math you can speak loosely of "solutions" when in fact you mean "the solution".
in math you can speak loosely of "solutions" when in fact you mean "the solution".

www.google.co.uk/search?q=%27solutions+of+an+equation%27
Seriously, just look it up. I've even googled it for you...
www.google.co.uk/search?q=%27solutions+of+an+equation%27
Seriously, just look it up. I've even googled it for you...

hey i understand that on this "Google" and "internet" it is considered poor form to express oneself clearly and precisely.
1 solution

≥1 roots

ftw
You don't have roots of an equation, you have roots of a function.
The solutions of f(x)=0 f(x) = 0 are precisely the roots of f(x) f(x) .

This is how we use the word in mathematics. Find me a single source that suggests this is false; I've provided plenty that suggest it is true.

Lol who really cares?
Is it that important?
😂🌝

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
have a fight ...
You don't have roots of an equation, you have roots of a function.
The solutions of f(x)=0 f(x) = 0 are precisely the roots of f(x) f(x) .

This is how we use the word in mathematics. Find me a single source that suggests this is false; I've provided plenty that suggest it is true.

it used to be that a function had zeros... i guess math must have changed.
It's definitely correct that functions can have 'zeros' and that equations can have multiple 'solutions'.

However, I've done some digging around - there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether equations or functions (or both) have 'roots'.

So in our discussion, 'solutions' is correct but 'roots' may also be correct.

& it is definitely incorrect to say that equations have zeros.
It's definitely correct that functions can have 'zeros' and that equations can have multiple 'solutions'.

However, I've done some digging around - there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether equations or functions (or both) have 'roots'.

So in our discussion, 'solutions' is correct but 'roots' may also be correct.

Finally....
Solutions.
Numbers that work
Roots
Answer
Who cares 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
solution to the equation
IMG.jpg

(alternative solution suggested by 13 1 20 8 42)
Original post by TeeEm
solution to the equation
IMG.jpg

Oh how amusing it would be to turn the page in a C3 or C4 exam to see that question :rofl:
Reply 78
Original post by edothero
Oh how amusing it would be to turn the page in a C3 or C4 exam to see that question :rofl:

you will not for 2 reasons

solving equations involving radicals is not directly tested

this is too hard for normal papers

Original post by TeeEm
solution to the equation
IMG.jpg

Feeling silly for trying to hit this problem head on now :colondollar:

Guess it's a lesson in simplification :redface:

Thanks for sharing TM!

Quick Reply

Latest