The Student Room Group

Difference in working out relative atomic mass and relative isotopic mass?

I'm starting all the way from the beginning again and want to be precise in my notes.

I know the difference in meaning: RAM is weighted mean mass compared with 1/12th mass of carbon 12 and RIM is weighted mean mass of an isotope compared with 1/12th of the mass of an atom of carbon 12... right?

But the working out is very similar, as in they both follow the same working out method pretty much:
(x)+(x)
____
(x)+(x)
(edited 8 years ago)
Someone, perhaps @charco, please correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt you'd have to work out the relative isotopic mass. The RIM is given to you to find the relative atomic mass.

I hope this helps
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Someone, perhaps @charco, please correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt you'd have to work out the relative isotopic mass. The RIM is given to you to find the relative atomic mass.

I hope this helps

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i can't thank you enough! I wouldn't continue my notes until I didn't have an answer! I checked my past exam questions and like you said I'd been given the RIM and then asked to work out the RAM.

I hope this helps

Isotopes have a relative mass (of course) - they cannot have a relative isotopic mass per isotope, that just makes no sense.

Each individual isotope has a RIM
The element has a RAM based on the natural abundances of the isotopes.
Original post by charco
Isotopes have a relative mass (of course) - they cannot have a relative isotopic mass per isotope, that just makes no sense.

I don't disagree with you.
What year r u guys in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't disagree with you.

I know - I only answered because you asked for confirmation ...
Original post by charco

I'm kinda confused again on the part where you say isotopes can't have a RIM per isotopes but each individual isotope has a RIM. what do you mean?
Original post by Someoneanyone
I'm kinda confused again on the part where you say isotopes can't have a RIM per isotopes but each individual isotope has a RIM. what do you mean?

An isotope is a particle. It has a specific mass. This can be expressed as a relative mass, but the same isotope ALWAYS has the same mass. There can be no such thing as an 'average' isotope mass.
Original post by charco
An isotope is a particle. It has a specific mass. This can be expressed as a relative mass, but the same isotope ALWAYS has the same mass. There can be no such thing as an 'average' isotope mass.

okay i guess, thanks, i think i know what i need to now :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Usman19999
What year r u guys in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Year 12

Quick Reply

Latest