The Student Room Group

C4 Binomial Expansion

Not sure how to do this question:
​(a) ​Given that the modulus of x > 2, find the first four terms in the series expansion of (1-2/x)^1/2
​of in descending powers of x.​
(b) ​By taking x = 200 use your series to find the sqr of 99 ,
giving your answer to 7 decimal places.
(c) ​Use your series to find the sqr of 101 to the same degree of accuracy.

Anyone have any ideas about how to tackle this?
Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by npstudent
Not sure how to do this question: ​(a) ​Given that find the first four terms in the series expansion​of in descending powers of x.​(b) ​By taking x = 200 use your series to find ,giving your answer to 7 decimal places. ​(c) ​Use your series to find to the same degree of accuracy. ​Anyone have any ideas about how to tackle this? Thank you

Umm what is the question? binomial?

I think you're missing parts of the question or I'm just not smart enough :lolwut:
(edited 8 years ago)
Given that what? I think you're missing part of the question
Reply 3
Original post by Dinaa
Umm what is the question? binomial?

Yepp
Reply 4
Original post by samb1234
Given that what? I think you're missing part of the question

Sorry, I've edited it now
Sorry, I've edited it now

You're still missing what you're meant to expand,and what you're using x=200 to show, as well as part of c by the looks of it
Reply 6
Sorry guys the expansion didn't copy, I've edited it again
Reply 7
Sorry guys the expansion didn't copy, I've edited it again

Wouldn't just be:

1 + (1/2)(-2/x) + (1/2)(-1/2)[(-2/x^2)/2] + (1/2)(-1/2)(-3/2)[(-2/x^3)/6)].... and so on? for a

then for b plug x in
Reply 8
Original post by Dinaa
Wouldn't just be:

1 + (1/2)(-2/x) + (1/2)(-1/2)[(-2/x^2)/2] + (1/2)(-1/2)(-3/2)[(-2/x^3)/6)].... and so on? for a

then for b plug x in

Oh thanks, i wasn't sure whether you could do it like that since it's 2/x and the mod of x>2 (although idk how or if the latter affects it)
Oh thanks, i wasn't sure whether you could do it like that since it's 2/x and the mod of x>2 (although idk how or if the latter affects it)

You have to put the condition of mod x otherwise you end up dividing by 0 - not good. It doesn't affect the expansion though
Reply 10

If |x| is not > 2 then your series is divergent unless the power you are raising the parenthetical expression is a positive integer.
Reply 11

I'm not the brightest sooo

@Student403
@Dick Diamonds

:u:
Reply 12
Original post by jayceedee
You have to put the condition of mod x otherwise you end up dividing by 0 - not good. It doesn't affect the expansion though

Ah I see, thank you
Reply 13
Original post by Dinaa

@Student403
@Dick Diamonds

Lol don't worry, I think you're right !
Original post by Dinaa

@Student403
@Dick Diamonds

I appreciate the compliment but neither am I :colondollar:

@Zacken
Reply 15

That is not the reason.
Reply 16

Ah I see, thank you

Don't listen to that. It's wrong. The binomial expansion (1+x)n(1+x)^n for non-natural powers is only valid for x<1|x| <1. (that is the power series converges in this radius), now map x2xx \mapsto \left|\frac{2}{x}\right| and the same condition states that x>2|x|>2.

Original post by lig1729
That is not the reason.

Indeed, thank you for pointing that out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Student403
I appreciate the compliment but neither am I :colondollar:

@Zacken

You're too harsh on yourself :tongue:

Lol don't worry, I think you're right !

When you're done can you tell me your answer :u:
Reply 18

You can use that expansion for anything of the form (1+f(x))n(1+f(x))^n for rational nn.
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken
Don't listen to that. It's wrong. The binomial expansion (1+x)n(1+x)^n for non-natural powers is only valid for x<1|x| <1. (that is the power series converges in this radius), now map x2xx \mapsto \left|\frac{2}{x}\right| and the same condition states that x>2|x|>2.

Indeed, thank you for pointing that out. I really wish some people wouldn't blurt out what they say without knowing anything about it.

Woah :redface: that was a tad harsh

Quick Reply

Latest