The Student Room Group

Games workshop mega thread

WELCOME TO THE GAMES WORKSHOP MEGA THREAD

Warhammer 40,000 - set in a scienc fantasy universe - has just turned 25.

You may have walked past one of the hundreds of Games Workshops on the High Street. You may even have wandered in, especially if you are a teenage boy/girl or the parent of one.

If you know your Necrons (virtually invincible soulless metal warriors) from your Dark Eldar (sadistic elfin pirates), the chances are you are one of the dedicated tribe who have signed up to what fans call The Hobby.Most days of the week, on table tops in "hobby centre" shops, in office lunchrooms, and bedrooms, players gather around home-constructed battle fields with miniature ruins and petrified forests. They assemble and paint small model fighters from a chosen army (several to collect) and using dice, tape measures and special rule books, battle rival militia in a fictional science fiction universe set in the 41st Millennium, called Warhammer 40,000.

I've been enthralled by the Warhammer universe for many years, so I've taken a chance to create this thread to cover all things wargaming related! Whether you're a newbie, or an experienced Gamer, this is the thread to be!
"Whether it's the clash of swords, or the flash of a plasma cannon, Games Workshop put YOU in charge of the action!"

"You can share your Warhammer experiences here, on this amazing thread!
What types of conversation can I find in the Games Workshop thread?Anything and everything related to the wonderful world...or worlds of Games Workshop. All things are covered including:
Warhammer Fantasy (Age of Sigmar)

Spoiler

Warhammer 40000

Spoiler

The Horus Heresy

Spoiler

Battlefleet Gothic

Spoiler

Necromunda

Spoiler

Epic 40000

Spoiler

Dark Heresy

Spoiler

Space Hulk

Spoiler

Dawn of War

Spoiler

Bloodbowl

Spoiler

The Black Library (Books)

Spoiler

...and so much more!

If you have any new ideas, threads to post, blogs to declare or anything that goes through your noggin', we're more than happy for you to mention!

Join our Society! (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=3475)

"The Emperor Protects!"
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi.
I've been playing both 40k and Fantasy since fourth edition. For now, two experiences come to mind.

1) Whilst playing an allied game, myself allying with space marine, I shot my rail gun submunition shot at the enemy I rolled to scatter. The shot scattered perfectly over my allies squad of marines and wiped them all out :3

2) I was in a game, my wood elves vs vampire counts. I managed to take down a terrorgheist in combat.(Hooray!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
Hi.
I've been playing both 40k and Fantasy since fourth edition. For now, two experiences come to mind.

1) Whilst playing an allied game, myself allying with space marine, I shot my rail gun submunition shot at the enemy I rolled to scatter. The shot scattered perfectly over my allies squad of marines and wiped them all out :3

2) I was in a game, my wood elves vs vampire counts. I managed to take down a terrorgheist in combat.(Hooray!)

Awesome! What were your favourite units in those respective factions? Do you also play other ones?

Spoiler

Reply 4
I've got a fairly decent 3500 or so points' worth of Imperial Guard, and a couple space marine Dark Angel squads, but haven't played in ages...
Original post by Alexion
I've got a fairly decent 3500 or so points' worth of Imperial Guard, and a couple space marine Dark Angel squads, but haven't played in ages...

Still! It's so rare to see wargamers these days! There used to be more in the past...

Also, shoudn't it be Astra Millitarum :biggrin:

If you haven't noticed, they renamed the Guard!

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by The Warsmith
Still! It's so rare to see wargamers these days! There used to be more in the past...

Also, shoudn't it be Astra Millitarum :biggrin:

If you haven't noticed, they renamed the Guard!

Spoiler

Oh yeah, forgot that :rofl: that shows how long it's been :wink:
Original post by Alexion
Oh yeah, forgot that :rofl: that shows how long it's been :wink:

I know what you mean. The funny thing is when new payers don't call them the IG and then you're like:

Spoiler

If you're not into the table-top game, have you seen the upcoming Warhammer games like TW: Warhamer, End Times: Vermintide and the upcoming MMO Eternal Crusade?

They all are very good. It looks like a golden age for WH games!
Reply 8
I know what you mean. The funny thing is when new payers don't call them the IG and then you're like:

Spoiler

If you're not into the table-top game, have you seen the upcoming Warhammer games like TW: Warhamer, End Times: Vermintide and the upcoming MMO Eternal Crusade?

They all are very good. It looks like a golden age for WH games!

I'm actually pretty damn excited for the Total War game omg :woo:

Played the heck outta Dawn of War and Space Marine, and I'm looking forward to a new one - I'll check out Eternal Crusade too, never really been into MMOs, but a Warhammer one? Heck yeah.
Original post by Alexion
I'm actually pretty damn excited for the Total War game omg :woo:

Played the heck outta Dawn of War and Space Marine, and I'm looking forward to a new one - I'll check out Eternal Crusade too, never really been into MMOs, but a Warhammer one? Heck yeah.

And don't forget Warhammer End Times: Vermintide!

Even though it's fantasy and not 40k and very similar to L4D2, it's actually a very nice game to play with friends.
Awesome! What were your favourite units in those respective factions? Do you also play other ones?

Spoiler

I don't really have favourite units in the Tau. I like my Piranhas as I find them rather enjoyable to build. Anything with a railgun is in my top models, especially Hammerheads and Broadsides. When it comes to wood elves I love the entire army, especially the trees. I brought a couple of spell singers and several packs of waywatchers because I love the models. I probably won't be getting back into fantasy since the age of sigmar update.
so glad this exits! Dos anyone have experience of using an Ork Stompa? have a tournament with some buddies in April and looking to bring one to the table
I don't really have favourite units in the Tau. I like my Piranhas as I find them rather enjoyable to build. Anything with a railgun is in my top models, especially Hammerheads and Broadsides. When it comes to wood elves I love the entire army, especially the trees. I brought a couple of spell singers and several packs of waywatchers because I love the models. I probably won't be getting back into fantasy since the age of sigmar update.

Aye, I truly thought the AoS was the death of WFB. So sad.

What was more sad is that they removed Tomb Kings which makes me so sad :frown:

Guess who the character in my avatar is?
Aye, I truly thought the AoS was the death of WFB. So sad.

What was more sad is that they removed Tomb Kings which makes me so sad :frown:

Guess who the character in my avatar is?

Yeah. They split up the factions and created so many needless ones. Why they couldn't have kept the factions as they were. From what I've heard it's much more like 40k now. Frustrating. I loved the difference. I'm hoping that when I'm at uni people will want to play fantasy not sigmar. If they do then I will pick it up again :smile:
Yeah. They split up the factions and created so many needless ones. Why they couldn't have kept the factions as they were. From what I've heard it's much more like 40k now. Frustrating. I loved the difference. I'm hoping that when I'm at uni people will want to play fantasy not sigmar. If they do then I will pick it up again :smile:

Doesn't hurt to pick up the most recent WHF codex and have a bash :wink:

I really liked the End Times series and lore that finished the Old World though.
Original post by Paulwyn
so glad this exits! Dos anyone have experience of using an Ork Stompa? have a tournament with some buddies in April and looking to bring one to the table

No idea really!

I can provide a profile though...
Stompa.png
No idea really!

I can provide a profile though...
Stompa.png

yeah she's a beauty, struggling to find a balanced 1850 that is competitive but not making me 'that guy'.

Me and some friends run a quarterly tournamentent called 'The Shiva', which we run as a boozy weekend with the winner getting this beauty:
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

TSR Tourney anyone?
Original post by Paulwyn
yeah she's a beauty, struggling to find a balanced 1850 that is competitive but not making me 'that guy'.

Me and some friends run a quarterly tournamentent called 'The Shiva', which we run as a boozy weekend with the winner getting this beauty:
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

TSR Tourney anyone?

Wow...one can never have too many Dreadknights, eh?

How about both your armies against one of my guys. He's no biggie:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Wow...one can never have too many Dreadknights, eh?

How about both your armies against one of my guys. He's no biggie:

Spoiler

love that

Quick Reply

Latest