The Student Room Group

Need help choosing a course

So next year I'll be going uni, and there are three courses I'm thinking of doing.

Animation(2D and stopmotion)
Games art or Games Design
Comics and concept art

What degree would have more career prospects?
Original post by Spectacular207
So next year I'll be going uni, and there are three courses I'm thinking of doing.

Comics and concept art

The UK is one of the leading countries in the world for animation and games. If you put the time and effort in, there are a huge number of opportunities available.

There are very few opportunities for comic creators or concept artists. Both subjects are becoming increasing popular at UK Universities, but there are hardly any jobs in those fields. However, that's no reason not to study a subject. There's hardly any jobs as historians, but lots of people choose to study it at University. Uni shouldn't be seen as a pipeline to industry.

Comics and concept art

I do art as well. You become an animator? Good job.
Original post by Hardest Job
I do art as well. You become an animator? Good job.

I dk if I want to be an animator

Comics and concept art

Hi there @Spectacular207

I would recommend heading over to our Kingston University website to have a look at our courses. Our Illustration Animation course is popular.

At Kingston School of Art we also offer a huge variety of opportunities throughout the school so you will be able to experiment with other arts while at the Uni. Our workshop is one of our best facilities with everything you could ever want being available to all art school students to use for free. If you are interested, here is the link to more information on our workshops and another link for our courses!

Workshops:
https://www.kingston.ac.uk/faculties/kingston-school-of-art/about/facilities/

Courses:
https://www.kingston.ac.uk/courses/find-a-course/undergraduate/faculty-listings/1-kingston-school-of-art/

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any more questions!

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)
Original post by insidedesigner
The UK is one of the leading countries in the world for animation and games. If you put the time and effort in, there are a huge number of opportunities available.

There are very few opportunities for comic creators or concept artists. Both subjects are becoming increasing popular at UK Universities, but there are hardly any jobs in those fields. However, that's no reason not to study a subject. There's hardly any jobs as historians, but lots of people choose to study it at University. Uni shouldn't be seen as a pipeline to industry.

THIS

particularly in creative industries there’s opportunities that you might not even have considered.

loads of animators studied illustration, illustrators studied graphic design or fine art, interior designers studied textiles etc etc.

If you think you’ll enjoy a degree, learn things you’ll find interesting and be in an environment where you’ll produce your best work then it’s a good choice of degree for you.

Quick Reply

Latest