The Student Room Group

Complex numbers

Need some help with q5. Im not too sure what to do. Ive attempted a diagram so far haha.

http://m.imgur.com/giWugVJ,oIOlkid
Could you post your working out of what you've tried so far? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Student403
Could you post your working out of what you've tried so far? :smile:

Yeah a diagram so far lol. Im not sure whats going on
Alright cool

Remember these are literally just expressions like a, b and c themselves. Get the expression of (A) + i(B) by carrying out the subtractions given, Then remember the formula of r? Using pythagoras's theorem?

And remember how to work out theta? Just plot those as normal :smile:
Reply 4
Alright cool

Remember these are literally just expressions like a, b and c themselves. Get the expression of (A) + i(B) by carrying out the subtractions given, Then remember the formula of r? Using pythagoras's theorem?

And remember how to work out theta? Just plot those as normal :smile:

Sorry im slightly confused.

Is b-a =(root 3 -2)+i?
|b-a|= root 8. Hm idk
Original post by Super199

Is b-a =(root 3 -2)+i?
|b-a|= root 8. Hm idk

hmm I've just reread the question

Let me tag in @Zacken to save the day :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by Super199

Is b-a =(root 3 -2)+i?
|b-a|= root 8. Hm idk

They want you to draw an argand diagram, plot the complex numbers and think of triangles. Does that help in anyway?

E.g: draw a and b, then b-a is the line connecting the endpoint of a to the endpoint of b
Original post by Zacken
They want you to draw an argand diagram, plot the complex numbers and think of triangles. Does that help in anyway?

E.g: draw a and b, then b-a is the line connecting the endpoint of a to the endpoint of b

One thing that's confusing me is how they say use it to express it exactly in the form re^itheta. How does that work? Shouldn't it be done by calculation?
Reply 8
One thing that's confusing me is how they say use it to express it exactly in the form re^itheta. How does that work? Shouldn't it be done by calculation?

Haven't worked through it myself, but it might be easier to find r and the theta using geometry methods (soh cah toa/cosine/sine rule) instead of manual calculation.
Original post by Zacken
Haven't worked through it myself, but it might be easier to find r and the theta using geometry methods (soh cah toa/cosine/sine rule) instead of manual calculation.

Hmm fair enough. Just that they're not very nice values if you want to give them exactly
Reply 10
Hmm fair enough. Just that they're not very nice values if you want to give them exactly

Hmm, you're right, that gives you horrible 'exact' answers
Original post by Zacken
Hmm, you're right, that gives you horrible 'exact' answers

Strange! :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest