The Student Room Group

M3 Strings Question

Please may someone explain why the tensions of the two strings are equated in the mark scheme? Thanks!

@TeeEm
Reply 1
Original post by PhyM23
Please may someone explain why the tensions of the two strings are equated in the mark scheme? Thanks!

@TeeEm

If it is in equilibirum then the tension pulling to one side should equate the tension pulling to the other side so that there is a net zero force and hence in equilibrium.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
If it is in equilibirum then the tension pulling to one side should equate the tension pulling to the other side so that there is a net zero force and hence in equilibrium.

Ah of course. I seem to have neglected the meaning of the 'equilibrium' part. It makes perfect sense now. Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by PhyM23

@TeeEm

Horizontal equilibriumFi=0\text{Horizontal equilibrium} \Rightarrow \sum F_{i} = 0, so the tensions are of the same magnitude as each other

EDIT: did not see Zacken's post :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PhyM23
Ah of course. I seem to have neglected the meaning of the 'equilibrium' part. It makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

Pleasure.
Reply 5
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Horizontal equilibriumFi=0\text{Horizontal equilibrium} \Rightarrow \sum F_{i} = 0, so the tensions are of the same magnitude as each other

EDIT: did not see Zacken's post :colondollar:

Haha no problem. Appreciate the reply nonetheless :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by PhyM23

@TeeEm

Sorry I just finished teaching
Original post by TeeEm

Do you tutor?
Reply 8
Original post by A Slice of Pi
Do you tutor?

I teach.
Original post by TeeEm
I teach.

But on a Saturday? What kind of school do you teach at?
Reply 10
Original post by A Slice of Pi
But on a Saturday? What kind of school do you teach at?

I teach privately
Original post by TeeEm
I teach privately

Ah, I see.
Reply 12
Original post by TeeEm

Ah no problem!

Quick Reply

Latest