The Student Room Group

physics homework p2

Please can someone help me with my homework

Explain why it is safer for a car driver to be wearing a seat belt, compared with not wearing a seat belt if the car is involved in a collision

thanks
hiii I'm doing a physics mock too soon and I'm revising for this topic!

basically, when you wear a seat belt:

Seat belts stop you tumbling around inside the car if there is a collision. However, they are designed to stretch a bit in a collision. This increases the time taken for the body's momentum to reach zero, so reduces the forces on it.

Well this is what bitesize told me lol

I hope it helped! :biggrin:
Original post by rayestar
hiii I'm doing a physics mock too soon and I'm revising for this topic!

basically, when you wear a seat belt:

Seat belts stop you tumbling around inside the car if there is a collision. However, they are designed to stretch a bit in a collision. This increases the time taken for the body's momentum to reach zero, so reduces the forces on it.

Well this is what bitesize told me lol

I hope it helped! :biggrin:

Thanks
Appearently this and plum pudding comes up in the mock(people from other sets told me. I have my mock on thursday :smile:
Original post by candyflossgirl
Thanks
Appearently this and plum pudding comes up in the mock(people from other sets told me. I have my mock on thursday :smile:

ahh okaii thanks for the info :h:
I have a chemistry mock on thursday!
seatbelts reduce injury in a crash by increasing the time taken for the driver to stop moving so reduce the rate of change of momentum
the kinetic energy from the force of the crash is absorbed by the seatbelt and transferred to elastic energy which increases the distance travelled by the driver ( as the seatbelt is stretched) and so reduces the acceleration therefore, because of F=ma, this reduces the stopping force on the driver.

i think that's all you need to know at GCSE level
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest