The Student Room Group

Combined science higher gcse

I want to do a level Chemistry and Biology.
I’ve just received my mocks and got 40+ marks for both chemistry and biology (grade 9)
However, as I don’t want to take physics for a level I didn’t work as hard for physics and got 27 marks which is a grade 6.
2 of my grades being a 9 and one being a 6 can severely bring down the overall grade as I do combined.
Physics has also always been a weakness of mine so naturally I don’t revise it as much but I understand that because it’s a weakness I should be prioritising it.
I’ve tried cognito and free science lessons videos to revise physics but nothing helps, I’m so bad at physics and its weird because I’m getting 9s for biology and chemistry.
What do i do?
Reply 1
Original post by Gokusuper789
I want to do a level Chemistry and Biology.
I’ve just received my mocks and got 40+ marks for both chemistry and biology (grade 9)
However, as I don’t want to take physics for a level I didn’t work as hard for physics and got 27 marks which is a grade 6.
2 of my grades being a 9 and one being a 6 can severely bring down the overall grade as I do combined.
Physics has also always been a weakness of mine so naturally I don’t revise it as much but I understand that because it’s a weakness I should be prioritising it.
I’ve tried cognito and free science lessons videos to revise physics but nothing helps, I’m so bad at physics and its weird because I’m getting 9s for biology and chemistry.
What do i do?
how do u revise chemistry and biology btw lmaooo
Original post by moonuh
how do u revise chemistry and biology btw lmaooo

I use cognito, i start with the lesson no matter how much i think i know the topic and after that i do exam questions. I’ve basically memorised the mark schemes by doing past exam questions and exam style questions on cognito.
Learn the content before trying to do past papers and questions.
Reply 3
I use cognito, i start with the lesson no matter how much i think i know the topic and after that i do exam questions. I’ve basically memorised the mark schemes by doing past exam questions and exam style questions on cognito.
ok tysm!!
Reply 4
alsoo even when i do the exam qs, when i attempt past papers i seem to do bad ??? and idk why this is cuz like when i do an actual mock i get like 8s and 9s, but when i sit the papers at home i get like 6s and 7s . like how do i utilise past papers bc they just aren't working for me and idk what to do it's stressing me out lmaooo
Original post by moonuh
alsoo even when i do the exam qs, when i attempt past papers i seem to do bad ??? and idk why this is cuz like when i do an actual mock i get like 8s and 9s, but when i sit the papers at home i get like 6s and 7s . like how do i utilise past papers bc they just aren't working for me and idk what to do it's stressing me out lmaooo

Maybe its because your rushing through the papers when your at home, are you doing the past paper for at least an hour?? And make sure you learn the mark schemes and understand the words they want you to use.
Create templates for practicals etc and memorise them
Original post by moonuh

But it could be that your school has used specimen papers for your mocks, so the mock is easier than an actual paper? Do you know if your school used an actual past paper?
Reply 7
But it could be that your school has used specimen papers for your mocks, so the mock is easier than an actual paper? Do you know if your school used an actual past paper?
they did us actual papers, it might b bc we did paper 2 and im confident on paper 2 but not paper 1
Reply 8
Maybe its because your rushing through the papers when your at home, are you doing the past paper for at least an hour?? And make sure you learn the mark schemes and understand the words they want you to use.
tbh i only do them for 30 minutes, so i'll try and sit like a full one for 1hr. i've made all my practical cards for chem n bio i just need 2 learnn
Reply 9
i think i might just focus on topic questions and exam style questions using mme, pmt and cognito and then any topic / suqestion that i can't do, i'll blurt using my notes and then reattempt that question and then after i've secure all paper 1 knowledge i could attempt a past paper??
Reply 10
like i feel like i may be bc i haven't gone through p1 content in a while and that i haven't practice the exam style questions either. i'm hoping i see an improvement back to my usual grades lolll
Original post by moonuh
like i feel like i may be bc i haven't gone through p1 content in a while and that i haven't practice the exam style questions either. i'm hoping i see an improvement back to my usual grades lolll

Id say do a mix of p1 and p2 content for the next 30 days but throughout april focus on paper 1
Reply 12
Id say do a mix of p1 and p2 content for the next 30 days but throughout april focus on paper 1

okok tysm!!
Reply 13

ok i tried this method where i attempt the pmt topic questions and any question i couldnt do, i blurted how to do the qs and then reattempted it a while later and then i did a paper 1 and i got 47/70 which ikk it's still bad lmfao but like considering i got all the questions i recapped right, i'll take it as a win. like i think it's working. like the questions i hadn't recapped, i couldn't do, so i feel like i should carry on w this method. idk why i'm telling u this lmaooo but like i'm just worried for timee cuz im gonna have to do this w all the sciences lollll

but tbh, i am stronger in p2 so it's just a matter of topic qs for that, also learning ecology bc we just go taught it. and then learning the reamining content from mark schemes??? but i feel like 50 days is nothinggg but like i'm willing to put in the work lmaooo

Quick Reply

Latest