The Student Room Group

A level psychology 16 markers

Hey guys!
Unfortunately I haven't been gifted with the greatest psychology teachers and both of them seem really irritated when I'm asking them to mark my work and for extra tips so I decided to come on here and ask anybody here for some help.
I've just started year 12 and my teacher hasn't given any of us any help on how to do 12 markers/16 markers but is still setting them for homework. We've asked him to at least do the first part of it with us but he refuses and tells us we have to do it on our own so here I am LOL.
Could anyone maybe share their structure with me for how they do them? 16/12 marker is fine i can adapt it. Thank you so much in advance <3
Original post by piinky333
Hey guys!
Unfortunately I haven't been gifted with the greatest psychology teachers and both of them seem really irritated when I'm asking them to mark my work and for extra tips so I decided to come on here and ask anybody here for some help.
I've just started year 12 and my teacher hasn't given any of us any help on how to do 12 markers/16 markers but is still setting them for homework. We've asked him to at least do the first part of it with us but he refuses and tells us we have to do it on our own so here I am LOL.
Could anyone maybe share their structure with me for how they do them? 16/12 marker is fine i can adapt it. Thank you so much in advance <3

Hi I got A* in Psychology this year, so I might be able to help.

16 markers will include a stem ( a scenario which you apply psychological knowledge to) this is for A-level so at the moment you will only be doing 12 markers. But I’ll give a structure for both.

12 markers
E.g “Outline and evaluate” “Discuss research into…”

P1: AO1 (6 marks) Write here about the Psychological theory. For instance, let’s say the question is on the behavioural approach, this is where you’ll talk about what operant conditioning and classical conditioning are . If you use the illuminate textbook, “AO1” is on the left hand page.

P2: EVALUATION (AO3) (3 marks)
Here you will want to evaluate the theory you have mentioned in paragraph 1.
First make a point: “One strength/limitation of the [behavioural approach] is that…”
Bring in some evidence: For example…

Explain, and write some more about why this is a strength/weakness

Link: “This is a strength/limitation because…”
It’s really important to end your evaluation point linking back to why it’s a strength/limitation.

(PEEL)

P3: EVALUATION (repeat process of evaluation) (3 marks)

P4: EVALUATION (optional)
You can do an extra evaluation just in case one of your evaluations is weaker than the others. Aim for 3, if you can do 3- great!

-No conclusion and no intro are needed.
-Aim to do both limitations and strengths of the theory/research, not just strengths/limitations on their own.

16 markers
Same process
P1: Theory/research (AO1) (6 marks)

P2: (AO2) (4 marks) link to stem/scenario given in question. e.g “Bob shows this when he…” do not mention any theory here at all. Make it very clear that you are talking about the scenario given in the question. Not evaluation, not theory.

P3-5: EVALUATION (AO3) (6 marks)

Hope this helps, any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lightningparrot
Hi I got A* in Psychology this year, so I might be able to help.

16 markers will include a stem ( a scenario which you apply psychological knowledge to) this is for A-level so at the moment you will only be doing 12 markers. But I’ll give a structure for both.

12 markers
E.g “Outline and evaluate” “Discuss research into…”

P1: AO1 (6 marks) Write here about the Psychological theory. For instance, let’s say the question is on the behavioural approach, this is where you’ll talk about what operant conditioning and classical conditioning are . If you use the illuminate textbook, “AO1” is on the left hand page.

P2: EVALUATION (AO3) (3 marks)
Here you will want to evaluate the theory you have mentioned in paragraph 1.
First make a point: “One strength/limitation of the [behavioural approach] is that…”
Bring in some evidence: For example…

Explain, and write some more about why this is a strength/weakness

Link: “This is a strength/limitation because…”
It’s really important to end your evaluation point linking back to why it’s a strength/limitation.

(PEEL)

P3: EVALUATION (repeat process of evaluation) (3 marks)

P4: EVALUATION (optional)
You can do an extra evaluation just in case one of your evaluations is weaker than the others. Aim for 3, if you can do 3- great!

-No conclusion and no intro are needed.
-Aim to do both limitations and strengths of the theory/research, not just strengths/limitations on their own.

16 markers
Same process
P1: Theory/research (AO1) (4 marks)

P2: (AO2) (2 marks) link to stem/scenario given in question. e.g “Bob shows this when he…” do not mention any theory here at all. Make it very clear that you are talking about the scenario given in the question. Not evaluation, not theory.

P3-5: EVALUATION (AO3) (6 marks)

Hope this helps, any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you so, so much this is really helpful! I have a few questions if thats okay:
1. Do I not have to do AO2 in 12 markers ever at As level?
2. How many points would you suggest is recommended for the AO1 paragraph?
Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by piinky333
Thank you so, so much this is really helpful! I have a few questions if thats okay:
1. Do I not have to do AO2 in 12 markers ever at As level?
2. How many points would you suggest is recommended for the AO1 paragraph?
Thank you so much :smile:

1)I have never come across a 12 marker with AO2, but then every year AQA seems to change things, so I wouldn’t completely rule it out. However, in all the past papers I did at A-level, I did not see a 12 marker with AO2, so don’t worry about that.

2) If you talk about research in your AO1, briefly outline the aim, method, results and the conclusion drawn, but don’t go into too much detail. For example if you were talking about Asch’s study it would be useful to say that there were 12 critical trials, but it wouldn’t necessarily be important to say there were 18 trials in total. This is the same for the results, give one statistic if you can. So I’d aim for one point. For instance, If the question was on Aschs study, maybe briefly outline his study and the method, results and the conclusion drawn.

The same applies for theory in AO1, briefly outline the theory. Remember AO1 counts for less in a 16 marker with AO2. If it doesn’t have AO2, then add a bit more detail to AO1.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending