The Student Room Group

How long did you revise for GCSE and what were your grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakepds
Well ad maths does, indeed include some things from the first two modules but by no means is it an AS.

There are people in my class that are geniuses (I'm talking 10A*s, year early entry to Cambridge etc etc) that did Ad maths and there are some people that haven't done it and they manage just the same.

Good on you that you're doing it, I'm just saying don't feel like that is as hard as it gets, because C4 looks absolutely terrifying!

I'm just annoyed at the fact that I am being forced to take it and I just wish it counted as an AS even though it is not as I feel no-one knows what an FSMQ is.
Original post by D3VST4R
I'm just annoyed at the fact that I am being forced to take it and I just wish it counted as an AS even though it is not as I feel no-one knows what an FSMQ is.

Free standing maths qualification. Dw alot of people do
It's whatever you feel is best for you, but with ambitious targets like those I would make sure first that you have a game plan - my teacher always told us to have a 16 week plan, map everything out in days and hours, monday to sunday and allow a day of rest, and revise from there, some find it ridiculous to start that early, some find it perfect. If you're doing the sciences, it's a good idea to start early, same goes for the mfl's (french, german, spanish etc.), and history as these are large syllabuses. Alternatively, you could always start earlier for the things you struggle the most in, it's whatever makes you the most comfortable. One piece of advice I'd have to give you is embrace stress - stress is good, it helps you get things done, there's typically two responses to exam stress; exert your energy crying or exert your energy working, try and make it the latter but crying every once in a while is inevitable and ultimately good for you. Equally as important is don't let any of your peers tell you you've started too early, it'll put you off your own plan, let them fail on their own time. Assuming you're planning to go to college and university, which with grade predictions like that I really hope you are because it would be a huge waste of talent, GCSE's are the easiest it's going to get, but I'm sure if you're predicted to do well you'll handle it. Best of Luck!:heart:
To be honest, with the increasing absence of AS levels, GCSEs become imcreasingly important as the only set of formal public examinations. Therefore I suggest you treat it as such. I would recommend starting ASAP, or before the month end. I certainly started at some point during March, even if only slow steady revision. I got 11A*s in biology, chemistry, physics, English Lang, English lit, maths (all igcses), as well as French, Latin language, latin literature, geography, history. Message me if you need any specific advice! :smile:
Oh and about the FSMQ discussion - I really recommend if you're doing maths/further maths a level. It covers pretty much all of C1 and a lot of C2. It's quite a bit of work but with a lot of practise and the help of relatively low grade boundaries, I got an A :smile:
Original post by I can do this
To be honest, with the increasing absence of AS levels, GCSEs become imcreasingly important as the only set of formal public examinations. Therefore I suggest you treat it as such. I would recommend starting ASAP, or before the month end. I certainly started at some point during March, even if only slow steady revision. I got 11A*s in biology, chemistry, physics, English Lang, English lit, maths (all igcses), as well as French, Latin language, latin literature, geography, history. Message me if you need any specific advice! :smile:

did you make notes for all your subjects because it feels impossible to cover everything especially stuff like history. the fact that you got 11a*s from march is amazing
Reply 106
Original post by D3VST4R
Unfortunately it doesn't count as an AS because it is not as hard as one, although I beg to differ after doing some Past Papers :angry:

For your information, it is actually as hard as an AS, hence why it arrived a week before the GCSE results, i.e. when the AS- and A-Level people got their results... I don't know what you're using to compare the two types of qualification, but you really need to get your facts right first.
Original post by Username3097486
did you make notes for all your subjects because it feels impossible to cover everything especially stuff like history. the fact that you got 11a*s from march is amazing

Hi, thank you!! And I made notes for Englishes, sciences (although they were more like chapter by chapter key points), geography, history (although they weren't very good, I used other methods), and Latin literature. I didn't do so for Latin language, French or maths though. My advice would be to use the syllabus as your bible and not learn a drop of information more :smile:
Hi, thank you!! And I made notes for Englishes, sciences (although they were more like chapter by chapter key points), geography, history (although they weren't very good, I used other methods), and Latin literature. I didn't do so for Latin language, French or maths though. My advice would be to use the syllabus as your bible and not learn a drop of information more :smile:

did you just use cgp revision guide for science and what revision guide did you use for history and english literature
did you just use cgp revision guide for science and what revision guide did you use for history and english literature

I didn't use any revision guides for sciences or for English lit. I owned the history one for my board (OCR), although I can't recommend revision guides in general as I didn't really use them because I didn't find them detailed enough for history (but it might vary from subject to subject because for geography it was okay).
I didn't use any revision guides for sciences or for English lit. I owned the history one for my board (OCR), although I can't recommend revision guides in general as I didn't really use them because I didn't find them detailed enough for history (but it might vary from subject to subject because for geography it was okay).

Wait...what did you use then?
Wait...what did you use then?

For which subjects exactly? I used my textbook and my specification for sciences and did loads of past papers, and for history, again specification but my textbook was really quite awful but luckily I had pretty solid notes so it was okay English literature I must say came quite naturally to me, and we used to do a lot of analysis in class of our texts (of mice and men and much ado about nothing) so I developed really good notes on characters and themes through that

Quick Reply

Latest