The Student Room Group

Are these Y10 Mock Results good enough for straight 9's by GCSEs?

Hey all,
I'm a Y10 student who has recently finished their 1st GCSE mocks for the end of the year. I aspire to get straight 9's by GCSEs and have always had high expectations. Are these Y10 Mock Results satisfactory?

(P.S The "+", "=" and "-" is so you can see how far I am into the specific grade boundary)

Biology: 9-
Chemistry: 9-
Physics: 8+
Mathematics: 7+ (However, it was a blip, usually get high 8s)
History: 9+
English Language: 7=
Citizenship: 8-
Drama: 7+ (1 mark off 8, big L)
French: 75% on Foundation tier*

*My school may do these Mocks differently to others for Modern Foreign Languages. Basically, we do a foundation paper in Y10 and then they use the percentage to predict our final grade off of how others did in Y10 then Y11. I think 75% projects to an 8, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It sounds self-explanatory if the grades are good enough to get straight 9's (as obviously anyone can improve/worsen by anything in Y11 for GCSEs). However, I just want to see if I'm on the right path with advice from someone with experience. Thanks!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by elliotc2308
Hey all,
I'm a Y10 student who has recently finished their 1st GCSE mocks for the end of the year. I aspire to get straight 9's by GCSEs and have always had high expectations. Are these Y10 Mock Results satisfactory?

(P.S The "+", "=" and "-" is so you can see how far I am into the specific grade boundary)

*My school may do these Mocks differently to others for Modern Foreign Languages. Basically, we do a foundation paper in Y10 and then they use the percentage to predict our final grade off of how others did in Y10 then Y11. I think 75% projects to an 8, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It sounds self-explanatory if the grades are good enough to get straight 9's (as obviously anyone can improve/worsen by anything in Y11 for GCSEs). However, I just want to see if I'm on the right path with advice from someone with experience. Thanks!

In my opinion these are great grades for Yr10! If you keep working hard then I am sure you can easily achieve the grades you desire as you've still got months before GCSE's to perfect your revision and see what works for you and what doesn't but also which subjects/areas of subjects you struggle with the most so you know what to focus when it comes to revising for the real thing. This shows your revision techniques are working well and if you know that for a subject you didn't get the grade you really wanted you can have a look at how you revised for it and tweak it a bit. Work just as hard and I'm sure you can achieve straight 9's but remember to take breaks as well not to overwork yourself! You can always if you want speak to your teachers and see what they think about your goal and let them know to push you to be able achieve those high grades.
Hey all,

Hi, I would say that it totally depends on the grade boundaries your school is using. If the grade boundaries are higher than the ones that are typically used in GCSEs then I would say that it is definitely possible to get all 9s. You are obviously already getting the grades in Biology, Chemistry and History but don't underestimate year 11. The content you learn in year 11 Chemistry especially is really hard and will take a lot of work. You are already getting 8s in Maths, Physics, Citizenship and French and, although year 11 is harder, I think that with some hard work over the summer you can go up a grade. I think the hardest subjects to bring up are going to be English Language and Drama. I didn't do Drama but I know that in English Language you improve significantly during year 11 due to a focus on past papers and exam technique during the year. Ultimately, I think that it is possible to get all 9s but even if you don't, you will get high GCSE grades for sure.
Hey all,

Hi - firstly, how much did you revise? I didn't revise for my mocks but still received satisfactory grades (I'm also aiming for all 9s next year).

If you did revise, make sure you learn HOW to revise; learn all the different techniques and time management strategies.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about specific subjects (apart from drama and citizenship, I don't take those). For example, I did ok in French higher (full marks on writing) so if you have any questions about that feel free to ask.

Have a good day!
It's possible to go up/down by any amount of grades at GCSE if you put the work in- I went from 4s and 5s in chemistry and physics to getting 9s in my actual GCSEs.
As your grades are already high getting a large number of 9s/8s is very possible. I sat my GCSEs last year so if you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer :smile:
Hey all,

Highest grade that you can get in a foundation paper is a grade 5 so that 75% in French would be a grade 5 at the highest.
Reply 6
Original post by Learning4Fun
Hi - firstly, how much did you revise? I didn't revise for my mocks but still received satisfactory grades (I'm also aiming for all 9s next year).

If you did revise, make sure you learn HOW to revise; learn all the different techniques and time management strategies.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about specific subjects (apart from drama and citizenship, I don't take those). For example, I did ok in French higher (full marks on writing) so if you have any questions about that feel free to ask.

Have a good day!

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I'm going to be completely honest, I left my revision until 2-3 days before the exams as I thought I could get everything done in that time period. Turns out that wasn't the case, and I pretty much ended up cramming in revision the night before each exam! 🤣 I must say it was quite an impulsive decision, but I still did pretty decent and I know better for next time lol. From what you've stated, it sounds like you did pretty well too, what were your grades (if you don't mind me asking) ? Also, probably good to ask, what exam boards do you use for those subjects?

Yes - During this summer, it's been my exact plan to try and learn different techniques and focus on timing to benefit me for Y11.

I think that out of my subjects, it's mainly French and English that I would appreciate some further guidance on. For English, in my school it's mandatory to do both English Language + English Literature (dk if it's the same for you?). Basically, I have always been passionate about English as a subject, but the teaching quality for it has diminished over the years for me.....I've had constant substitutes, replacements of teachers, reluctant teachers etc. This year, Y10, it's gotten to the point where me and a few classmates actually wrote a letter to the headteacher about the state of teaching. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but yeah it's quite a story. Anyways, in French, I've always been quite strong in it but haven't really revised it since Y9. I think I kind of overlook it for exams, as it's not that important to me, but now I've seen that I've got to up my game in it to get these straight 9s. The problem with French is that our school doesn't really recommend or advise any ways to revise for French, so I was wondering if you know any websites, techniques/strategies etc. ?

If it's not too much of a hassle, do you think you could message me on TSR instead of replying to this? Only because I don't want to start a long convo on a thread lol. Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by thrivingfrog
It's possible to go up/down by any amount of grades at GCSE if you put the work in- I went from 4s and 5s in chemistry and physics to getting 9s in my actual GCSEs.
As your grades are already high getting a large number of 9s/8s is very possible. I sat my GCSEs last year so if you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer :smile:

Hey, thank you very much for your reply. Yes - I need to make sure I keep putting the work in if I'm going to achieve the grades I aspire, certainly more than I did for these mocks! It's always fascinating to hear such a large improvement in grades, hopefully I can improve like that too. Thank you as well for the offered support, I'll make sure to message you!
Hey, thanks for your reply.

I'm going to be completely honest, I left my revision until 2-3 days before the exams as I thought I could get everything done in that time period. Turns out that wasn't the case, and I pretty much ended up cramming in revision the night before each exam! 🤣 I must say it was quite an impulsive decision, but I still did pretty decent and I know better for next time lol. From what you've stated, it sounds like you did pretty well too, what were your grades (if you don't mind me asking) ? Also, probably good to ask, what exam boards do you use for those subjects?

Yes - During this summer, it's been my exact plan to try and learn different techniques and focus on timing to benefit me for Y11.

I think that out of my subjects, it's mainly French and English that I would appreciate some further guidance on. For English, in my school it's mandatory to do both English Language + English Literature (dk if it's the same for you?). Basically, I have always been passionate about English as a subject, but the teaching quality for it has diminished over the years for me.....I've had constant substitutes, replacements of teachers, reluctant teachers etc. This year, Y10, it's gotten to the point where me and a few classmates actually wrote a letter to the headteacher about the state of teaching. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but yeah it's quite a story. Anyways, in French, I've always been quite strong in it but haven't really revised it since Y9. I think I kind of overlook it for exams, as it's not that important to me, but now I've seen that I've got to up my game in it to get these straight 9s. The problem with French is that our school doesn't really recommend or advise any ways to revise for French, so I was wondering if you know any websites, techniques/strategies etc. ?

If it's not too much of a hassle, do you think you could message me on TSR instead of replying to this? Only because I don't want to start a long convo on a thread lol. Thanks!

Hi - the pm didn’t work so I’ll just send it on here:

In terms of mock results, I got all 8s and 9s. My best was maths, which I only dropped one mark in.

My exam boards consisted mainly of Edexcel and AQA, with computer science being OCR. Every school is required to take both language and literature, and my school uses Edexcel for both. French, for me, is AQA.

I understand what it’s like to have a disruptive English class; in Year 9 we had a new teacher who left before the end of the year (we did nothing), and in Year 10 my class has some excitable individuals. Nevertheless, it is perfectly possible to do well in English. If you would be willing to tell me what you’re studying I could send some tailored advice.

For French, you NEED to learn your vocabulary.
You could use any flash card website for this, like Anki, for example. Either make your own or import from quizlet. You also need to learn all your tenses. Do this, again, through the use of flash cards displaying the rules, before consolidating your understanding with practice. I think I was shared quite a useful resource with a plethora of high level French answers to revise from, which I will try to dig out.

I’d also recommend watching GCSE grade 9 advice on YouTube, as there’s plenty of unique perspectives.

Good luck!
Hey all,

Hey, yep those are fine! I had mostly 7s in year ten mocks and finished my GCSEs last year with straight nines. Good luck and believe in yourself
Original post by username6137879

Have a good day!

tips on how to get full marks in writing for french?
im rn getting 69 :frown:
Original post by thrivingfrog

how to get all 9s please? Could you share revision resources you used or revision ways? I want to get all 9s
Original post by amelia05xo
Hey, yep those are fine! I had mostly 7s in year ten mocks and finished my GCSEs last year with straight nines. Good luck and believe in yourself

do you have any revision techniques? which subjects do u do?
tysm x
Original post by klnlljkklhklll
do you have any revision techniques? which subjects do u do?
tysm x

do LOADS of past papers

Quick Reply

Latest