The Student Room Group

GCSE's and mocks

//
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
hiya!
im a y12 and looking back on my mocks they semi-accurately predicted my final grades
id say you are very likely to achieve the grades you've listed (especially with practice exam questions and self belief!)
few things to note: my first set of mocks in y10/start of y11 were atrocious compared to what i achieved at the end - time really does help, i promise!
also i was predicted a 3 nines and ended up with none at the end of the day
this did initially upset me but it is important to remember that if you tried your hardest THATS ENOUGH!! (not to scare you because i believe youll do well especially with 9s already!!)
very best of luck and feel free to ask questions or for tips!

ps: tip for history
(i took edexcel and got an 8 but im sure it applies for many boards) i think in my exams that i hardly mentioned key dates HOWEVER THEY ARE IMPORTANT!!! but mainly make revision materials in the way you would answer an exam question ie a flashcard with reasons, consequences and EVALUATION! especially for high mark questions
Reply 2
hiii, you said 'id say you are very likely to achieve the grades you've listed'
Do you mean all 9s, or the grades I have listed regarding my current level?

Thanks 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by 11academic11
hiii, you said 'id say you are very likely to achieve the grades you've listed'
Do you mean all 9s, or the grades I have listed regarding my current level?

Thanks 🙂

To be honest, from the people I know who were predicted all 9s in their mocks DID achieve those 9s in the final exams (it is something that can be a bit uncertain as you won't know the grade boundaries until results day so you can't judge it with 100% accuracy!)
however, it is important to be proud of your grades especially at this point in the year!
I went up in some subjects by a grade and sometimes 2 from what I was predicted and as long as you put in some effort in to exam technique you should be able to get the 7s in to 9s!
Reply 4
Original post by 11academic11
I would like to get all 9s. Would it be possible with significant effort, considering my current level? I have achieved similiar/higher grades in my mocks, but I believe the following grades truly represent my current ability. I have 3 months, and I want to know if it is possible for me. I will put in as much effort as needed, if I can manage.

Maths: 8/9
Biology: 8
Physics: 9
Chemistry: 8/9
English Lit: 8/9
English Lang: 8
Geography: 7
History: 7?? not sure
Computer Science: 7
Spanish: 7

Good job on your grades btw - you should be really happy with them, its easy to get caught up in the numbers so just take a moment to be proud of what you’ve achieved!! As for your question, to be perfectly honest i think it depends on how you revised for these exams. If you think you put in the most work you could have in the most effective way, it may be harder to jump grades. What mocks tell you (or try to), is the grade you are on track to get (ie if you continue doing work in the same way you already are), so the key thing to improve grades between now and your GCSEs would be to change something in the way you work (Revision techniques etc) or the quantity of your work (increasing hours, allocating more/less time to different subjects). It’s hard for me to tell without knowing how you prepared but you can see why it may be harder for someone who has worked so hard that they have little to no capacity to improve/change their revision, compared to someone who sat their mocks and didn’t prepare well to see big improvements. However, i do believe it is doable - and you’re very close!! - but (sorry for the negativity again), just keep in mind that in your real exams you have more topics and more exams.

Quick Reply

Latest