The Student Room Group

Can I take 5 A-Levels?

Basically I wanted to know if I could take 5 because I was planning to take physics, chemistry, maths, further maths and french for A-Levels. I would drop french if doing 5 meant I would have no life. Opinions appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Yes but no point.
Only if you are absolutely desperate to study all five.
Reply 3
Original post by Vikingninja
Yes but no point.

Oh why? :/
Original post by BhavyaB
Oh why? :/

Because it doesn't put you at any advantage to others really apart from with Oxbridge and it will just stress you out more.
Reply 5
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Only if you are absolutely desperate to study all five.

The thing is, I think I want to do engineering so will have to take the other 4 but then I'm fluent in French as well so was wondering if I should take it as well because it would be easier for me to do.
if you are currently doing gcse, then you have no idea how much work is needed for a levels, it is soo much more.

Gcse are childs play in comparison to a levels, and doing all that extra work is not worth it, and unless your a naturally very talented person and will also work very very hard, you will crush under the pressure, trustt me
Original post by BhavyaB
The thing is, I think I want to do engineering so will have to take the other 4 but then I'm fluent in French as well so was wondering if I should take it as well because it would be easier for me to do.

Nope no point.
Reply 8
Because it doesn't put you at any advantage to others really apart from with Oxbridge and it will just stress you out more.

I understand that. Thankyou very much for your help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by BhavyaB

When you say 'fluent' do you mean you are a native speaker (or grew up being taught it)? If so, please do not take it at A Level.

An A Level in a language is completely useless for a person who is a native of that language, it doesn't appear impressive to universities and it is seen as just an ''easy cruise'' for a person of that language to get a qualification.

I don't normally deter people away from doing languages but I am fairly insistent that doing an A Level in a language that you know natively would not benefit you at all.
if you're truly interested in your subjects and you think you will do well in them , then of course you can !! I did 5 and enjoyed every minute , with planning and organisation you can absolutely have time for a life .
Reply 11
Original post by Science_help
if you are currently doing gcse, then you have no idea how much work is needed for a levels, it is soo much more.

Gcse are childs play in comparison to a levels, and doing all that extra work is not worth it, and unless your a naturally very talented person and will also work very very hard, you will crush under the pressure, trustt me

Oh :/ I get that. So 4 would be a reasonable number to do?
Reply 12
Nope no point.

Oh okay, thanks :smile:
Original post by BhavyaB
Oh okay, thanks :smile:

French won't add anything to your application in engineering, you can just say really you are fluent.
Reply 14
Original post by Inexorably
When you say 'fluent' do you mean you are a native speaker (or grew up being taught it)? If so, please do not take it at A Level.

An A Level in a language is completely useless for a person who is a native of that language, it doesn't appear impressive to universities and it is seen as just an ''easy cruise'' for a person of that language to get a qualification.

I don't normally deter people away from doing languages but I am fairly insistent that doing an A Level in a language that you know natively would not benefit you at all.

I'm not a native speaker, but I've now learnt it for several years and have 2 diplomas in the language rarely anyone my age has.
Reply 15
from what i know, since your fluent in french, why not take a level french early? can you do that kind of thing?
Reply 16
Original post by Bellaxoxox
if you're truly interested in your subjects and you think you will do well in them , then of course you can !! I did 5 and enjoyed every minute , with planning and organisation you can absolutely have time for a life .

Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by BhavyaB
I'm not a native speaker, but I've now learnt it for several years and have 2 diplomas in the language rarely anyone my age has.

If it's something that you've learnt via self-teaching and school and you are quite advanced it, then I would encourage you to go for the A Level (and potentially fast track it if you feel like you can). My previous post was under the entire assumption you were a native speaker, so sincere apologies!
I have a friend who is fluent in French and she took it up for A-Level along with 4 other subjects. It does not give you any real advantage since you are already fluent but there is also no disadvantage to it in my opinion. My friend only has to go to French class every so often (my school don't make her go to every class). It is really up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
French won't add anything to your application in engineering, you can just say really you are fluent.

Alright, so if I applied to say World Bank in the future, they wouldnt look for my French school degree would they?

Quick Reply

Latest