The Student Room Group

could you as a lawyer represent a known terrorist, child abuser etc etc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Of course, the idea of "defending a known terrorist or child abuser" is itself a little disingenuous - in the eyes of the law, at least, a defendant isn't a known terrorist or child abuser until after he's been defended by a lawyer. That's the point of the trial!

you can know as the defending lawyer, you have access to all the evidence pre trial plus the defendant, where it may become obvious to you - you cant pass that to court. its still your job to get him off if he asks you
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chakede
your job if you took it is to knock their case over with doubt, if you manage to put even one doubt or proceedural mistake in play, then essentially you can get him off

no it isn't, if my client enters a guilty plea (as i would advise), there is no question of 'getting him off', unless he has overriding mental issues or something.

the burden of proof is on the prosecution to show that the defendant is guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt". this does not mean 100%, just that, so it's not as though one small gap in the prosecution's argument will ruin everything for their case.
by making these nutholes go through our impeccable judicial system with all its checks and balances we demonstrate the superiority of the rule of law.
Original post by Chakede
but have to act in away thaty benefits them. if you come accross damning evidence that proves they are guilty - you have to keep your mouth shut

its a moral question rather than professional. imagine if this lawyer got adbul salem to walk free on legal technicality...

Are you a lawyer chakede? You seem to be putting an awful lot of legal situations forward as to how it works.
If I am getting paid enough yes.
Reply 25
Original post by 999tigger
Are you a lawyer chakede? You seem to be putting an awful lot of legal situations forward as to how it works.

i dont have what it takes to be a lawyer no,, but im familar with some basic legal concept
Original post by Chakede
i dont have what it takes to be a lawyer no,, but im familar with some basic legal concept

Then you misunderstand how it works. When you defend someone thats your job. You do your job and do it to the best of your ability. Theres a difference between knowing and supsecting. Lawyers cannot mislead the court and they wouldnt do so for a client becayse they could be struck off.

heres an article on it
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/jan/07/workandcareers.careers4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending