The Student Room Group

I am the end of my family.

So I've just realised that being an only child with no extended family, that when my parents die it is only me that remains. I am an only child and I'm gay so it would mean the end of my family biologically. I don't know how to feel about this
Do you want to have biological children? :confused:
Or are you wandering about the fact that one day your parents and maybe grandparents will have no living descendants?

I don't have any siblings.
Not did my mother or either of my grandmothers.
Maternal grandfather's siblings all died before they were 9 years old.
My father has outlived all his siblings, none of whom had descendants.
I'm broadly in the same boat (not gay, just no interest in kids)

Tbh I feel I should be able to use reason to ignore biological urges, I know damn well humans aren't dying out so how much in this medical/gnettic age so do I really care about my own material continuing?
Original post by londonmyst
Do you want to have biological children? :confused:
Or are you wandering about the fact that one day your parents and maybe grandparents will have no living descendants?

I don't have any siblings.
Not did my mother or either of my grandmothers.
Maternal grandfather's siblings all died before they were 9 years old.
My father has outlived all his siblings, none of whom had descendants.

When I said no extended family, I meant as in in terms of the family it is just my and my parents there are no other descendents, the entire family tree comes down to me, my mother and farther so it's not really a may be.
Do you really want to bring a child into this world, the way things are heading?
Same and I'm fine with it. Just because I'm an only child doesn't mean I have to produce children for some 'lineage' if I don't want to.
Original post by black tea
Do you really want to bring a child into this world, the way things are heading?

Tbh my main reason would be selfish and fearing a of lack of care when I got old/infirm. Horrifying what can happen to vulnerable people with no one to speak up for them etc.
Original post by StriderHort
Tbh my main reason would be selfish and fearing a of lack of care when I got old/infirm. Horrifying what can happen to vulnerable people with no one to speak up for them etc.

I hadn't considered that, omg I'm worried now
Reply 8
I don't think it's that important to go on with the family bloodline anyway.

Idk, I actually prefer the thought of not being a burden and dying alone over causing distress to people when I go. Totally appreciate that is not a normal way to feel though!
Tbh my main reason would be selfish and fearing a of lack of care when I got old/infirm.
Horrifying what can happen to vulnerable people with no one to speak up for them etc.

Having a child or multiple children wouldn't alleviate those fears of one day being elderly, alone and very infirm- with nobody who cares enough to be willing to help out regularly.
Or left to endure regular abuse at the hands of the types of criminals that opt to most target the ill aged and seriously disabled younger individuals physically incapable of escaping or protecting themselves.

Even for people who do choose to have biological children, at best there is still a 50-50 chance of them not having anyone reliable who is willing to provide them with access to a place of safety and basic personal care or some regular social contact.
So many reasonably pleasant people won't consider training for a professional carer career and have zero willingness to be any other adults voluntary carer.
Blood relative or not.
There are also plenty of children who view their parents and all elderly relatives solely as their own personal cash point, servant or the most convenient way of accessing a large life insurance policy payout without committing a crime.
Original post by Anonymous
So I've just realised that being an only child with no extended family, that when my parents die it is only me that remains. I am an only child and I'm gay so it would mean the end of my family biologically. I don't know how to feel about this

That's okay. You don't have to feel any kind of way about it.

If you don't want children ever, then that's fine.
If you want children, you could either adopt or pay out for surrogacy.

I don't know why we put pressure on ourselves to leave some kind of biological legacy behind. It's okay for bloodlines to end, it happens all the time.
Original post by black tea

my thoughts too
Original post by Anonymous

if ur sure and if this is what you want, then you should feel fine. Ur not obliged to carry on the family line, it ur life and u should do what makes u happy.
hey you don't have to have kids! or you could adopt/get a surrogate etc. but no pressure! whatever makes you feel happy, and also ur future partner may have an opinion on kids as well, so it's not entirely dependent on you, don't stress about it right now :smile:
Well, biologically, it will be the end of your family. But if you choose to have kids, I guess it's a start of a new beautiful family with your husband.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending