The Student Room Group

A level Maths and Further Maths useful tricks

I've noticed that the difference of two cubes pops up on occasion, (a-b)(a2+ab+b2) = a3 - b3

Does anybody have any other useful tricks that aren't on the specification?
Reply 1
Original post by Lucasium
I've noticed that the difference of two cubes pops up on occasion, (a-b)(a2+ab+b2) = a3 - b3

Does anybody have any other useful tricks that aren't on the specification?

You must have seen the STEP tricks thread (where this exact trick you've mentioned has been posted before) - surely we don't need another for the same syllabus.
Reply 2
Similar, addition of 2 cubes is (a+b)(a2-ab+b2)=a3+b3
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
You must have seen the STEP tricks thread (where this exact trick you've mentioned has been posted before) - surely we don't need another for the same syllabus.

How many of the STEP tricks can be used on a standard A level M/FM paper?
Reply 4
How many of the STEP tricks can be used on a standard A level M/FM paper?

All of them.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
All of them.

Okay I didn't word that particularly well. Are we ever given the opportunity to use many of them? If there are a few please list them.
Reply 6
Okay I didn't word that particularly well. Are we ever given the opportunity to use many of them? If there are a few please list them.

I've listed a ton on the STEP version already, they come up just as often on a standard A-Level Paper as they do on a STEP one, speaking from personal experience - that's what lets me finish FM papers off in c. 45 minutes - so I'm not going to rewrite something I've already written on another thread.
Does anyone here use Heron's formula for finding area of triangles?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
I've listed a ton on the STEP version already, they come up just as often on a standard A-Level Paper as they do on a STEP one, speaking from personal experience - that's what lets me finish FM papers off in c. 45 minutes - so I'm not going to rewrite something I've already written on another thread.

Well I guess my thread is now redundant
Is that "tricks" or do you learn that at school in the UK?
Reply 10
Original post by dugdugdug
Does anyone here know Hero'sx formula for finding area of triangles?

A=s(sa)(sb)(sc)\displaystyle A = \sqrt{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)} for a triangle with sides a,b,ca,b, c and S=a+b+c2S = \frac{a + b + c}{2}.
Original post by Zacken
A=s(sa)(sb)(sc)\displaystyle A = \sqrt{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)} for a triangle with sides a,b,ca,b, c and S=a+b+c2S = \frac{a + b + c}{2}.

I meant is it (Heron's ) still taught at schools?

I know Lagragian Multipliers has been off the syllabus years ago.
Reply 12
Original post by dugdugdug
I meant is it (Heron's ) still taught at schools?

I know Lagragian Multipliers has been off the syllabus years ago.

Nah, it's not.

Quick Reply

Latest