The Student Room Group

help !!

im currently doing three subjects at as level (biology, chemistry and maths) and i have my summer exams coming up for year 12 in 9 weeks. im at a C C C. is it possible to reach an A or B in time for the exams????

also can anyone recommend any revision tips? :smile:
Reply 1
you’ve definitely got time!! the most important thing is understanding where your weaknesses are: is it the picky mark schemes, the maths, the content etc? and then going from there. i would recommend revising what you find difficult first then just doing loads of past papers and you’ll definitely see an improvement!
the trick to biology is realising they repeat questions but just word them differently, so if you do enough questions you’ll see an improvement.
for chemistry, having a good understanding of practicals will really help! they’ll help you answer questions and oftentimes the pesky one markers are related to practicals.
maths is all about practice!! if you do Edexcel i would recommend Bicen Maths on YouTube :smile: also, start with easier questions then work your way up eg. textbook qs —> maths genie —> PMT
hope this helps and good luck! if you need anymore information lmk
Reply 2
Original post by aalimk
you’ve definitely got time!! the most important thing is understanding where your weaknesses are: is it the picky mark schemes, the maths, the content etc? and then going from there. i would recommend revising what you find difficult first then just doing loads of past papers and you’ll definitely see an improvement!
the trick to biology is realising they repeat questions but just word them differently, so if you do enough questions you’ll see an improvement.
for chemistry, having a good understanding of practicals will really help! they’ll help you answer questions and oftentimes the pesky one markers are related to practicals.
maths is all about practice!! if you do Edexcel i would recommend Bicen Maths on YouTube :smile: also, start with easier questions then work your way up eg. textbook qs —> maths genie —> PMT

Thank so much !! i’ll definitely try those especially with chem it’s probably my hardest a level 😭 appreciate the help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by studentr07
Original post by aalimk

Thank so much !! i’ll definitely try those especially with chem it’s probably my hardest a level 😭 appreciate the help :smile:

im in the same situation, if anyone has any tips on ocr a level bio it would be much appreciated
Hiya! I’m currently a Year 13 student studying the same A Levels as you. My exam board is AQA and I’m predicted 3 A*s.

You have more than enough time to get your grades up, so do not worry!

For Maths, I suggest you work out what your weakest topics and what your strongest topics are. Work on understanding the concepts and NOT learn the mark scheme. There are many Maths teachers on YouTube who are extremely helpful. If you do AQA, I strongly recommend TheGCSEMathsTutor and TLMaths. Also, practice as many exam-style questions as you can. You can find these on MathsGenie and Physics&Maths Tutor. If you want to further challenge yourself, attempt questions from the old spec.

For Biology, you need to make sure that you understand all the content first. Without understanding, you will not be able to apply your knowledge to different scenarios/contexts, which is what the Biology exam questions are all about. Also, I’d say when doing exam practice (a must), do a question and check the answer to it. Then do the next question, check the answer to it. Use this technique especially when you’re attempting questions on the same topic. This will help you see if and where you went wrong so that you don’t repeat the same mistake when you do other questions. PMT has some really good exam questions. Although I personally don’t watch her, I do know Miss Estruch on YouTube has been helpful for some of my friends.

For Chemistry, your best friend will be the Chemrevise revision guides. If your teacher hasn’t guided you to this amazing website, please please pleaseee visit this. Memorising the notes for each topic guarantees you an A, if not an A*. It has everything you need to know to pass your exams - nothing too less, nothing too more. It contains information in small rectangular boxes, which tend to be answers to common exam questions. Also, Elliot Rintoul on YouTube has some amazing videos - I suggest watching him for topics you may struggle with.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Best of luck with your exams :smile:
Study hard. Get revision books.The three sciences were my best subjects back in highschool.

Quick Reply

Latest