The Student Room Group

Help with C2 Differentiation question

Hello lovely internet people, can someone explain how you solve this question?

Tanks!
q11.JPG
Original post by Mad_Cat_Lady

Tanks!
q11.JPG

i am confuse i don't quite understand the expand the y-coordinate bit :/ doesn't quite make sense to me..
@Kvothe the arcane @Zacken@Student403
Reply 2

Tanks!
q11.JPG

You know that f(x)=3x2+1f(x) = 3x^2 + 1 so that f(x+δx)=3(x+δx)2+1f(x + \delta x) = 3(x + \delta x)^2 + 1. (i.e: wherever you see xx, replace it with x+δxx + \delta x). Expand the square and write out all the terms.
Coordinate of y when x = x is 3x2+1

The question is asking you to replace x here with x+dx and expand to get this new y coordinate (y+dy) in terms of x and dx
Original post by Zacken
You know that f(x)=3x2+1f(x) = 3x^2 + 1 so that f(x+δx)=3(x+δx)2+1f(x + \delta x) = 3(x + \delta x)^2 + 1. (i.e: wherever you see xx, replace it with x+δxx + \delta x). Expand the square and write out all the terms.

9.5/14

:angry:
Original post by thefatone
i am confuse i don't quite understand the expand the y-coordinate bit :/ doesn't quite make sense to me..
@Kvothe the arcane @Zacken@Student403

Please do not tag so many people at the same time.

As you can see 3 separate people have gone through the effort of answering the same question and that is unnecessary time wasted.

EDIT: KtA has now deleted his answer having seen 2 other people answer the question, which just wastes his time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student403
Please do not tag so many people at the same time.

As you can see 3 separate people have gone through the effort of answering the same question and that is unnecessary time wasted.

EDIT: KtA has now deleted his answer having seen 2 other people answer the question, which just wastes his time.

sorry :ashamed:
Original post by Zacken

How do you do the next part?
Reply 8
How do you do the next part?

As they said... plug this into the formula given for dydx\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}.
Original post by thefatone
sorry :ashamed:

That's alright. Didn't mean it harshly if it sounded that way
Nice.

Quick Reply

Latest