The Student Room Group

Easter Revision Hours HELP?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by evebennettx
Same! i got full marks in my controlled assessments because I love english when you have time to structure your argument, but in 45 minutes i seriously panic!!

Yes exactly, it makes me contemplate whether english lit a-level is for me, have you seen the new spec it's awful (though at least some of the exams are open book- i think!)

So when you revise english lit, do you talk about structure and context and all that; sorry I've been having supply teachers for months and am on my hair's end with my tolerance with the english department at my school- any help whatsoever is hugely appreciated!
Original post by Squishy•
oh well i wouldn't know who you are anyway as i don't wear makeup lol.
What do you want to do after GCSEs? Like A-levels and Uni

I want to study, German, Spanish, English and Politics next year and then I want to study either Politics and Spanish/German, or liberal arts or something like that at Uni

I've been looking at Durham, Bath, KCL, Cambridge etc.

I want to be a Diplomat when I'm older, or anything to do with foreign policy, translating etc :smile:
Thanks so much! I need to do all the work i can for english as I'm predicted an A* and I want to do it for A-Level but I'm so hit and miss with it!

I was and am very much the same with english!! the only thing I can recommend is just practising essay questions and past papers a lot so that you once you're in the exam, writing an essay will come easy to you. also - have discussions about ideas with friends! tomorrow I'm going to meet with a group of friends to discuss all the poems in our poetry anthology and annotate everything. I find discussing/debating ideas to be a really helpful way to understand a text as well as collating lots of ideas and knowledge :-)
Original post by nm1276
Yes exactly, it makes me contemplate whether english lit a-level is for me, have you seen the new spec it's awful (though at least some of the exams are open book- i think!)

So when you revise english lit, do you talk about structure and context and all that; sorry I've been having supply teachers for months and am on my hair's end with my tolerance with the english department at my school- any help whatsoever is hugely appreciated!

Our school does OCR (shoot me) which used to be 40% coursework and is now 100% exam! It's making me panic because English is probably my least stable subject even though it's one of my faves. But my other 3 options are subjects I'm super strong in so I can drop English after year 12 if it isn't for me!

And yes I just re read the texts, go over my notes and watch Mr Bruff! If anyone has any other good techniques let me know!
Thank you haha! And omg you have me on snapchat god bless you how do you cope?

Seeing your snaphats and tweets is really motivating - I procrastinate endlessly on social media then realise how productive you're somehow being, and so I actually get work done!

Good luck with your revision - I'm an A2 student but I think GCSEs were more hellish than A levels because of the wider range of stuff you have to learn, so it only gets better overall, and it's all worth it on results day! :smile:
Reply 45
oh well i wouldn't know who you are anyway as i don't wear makeup lol.
What do you want to do after GCSEs? Like A-levels and Uni

Haha, i don't wear makeup and i watch her videos! haha i watch them for her personality, but anyway it's your opinion!
Original post by lovegoodjpg
I was and am very much the same with english!! the only thing I can recommend is just practising essay questions and past papers a lot so that you once you're in the exam, writing an essay will come easy to you. also - have discussions about ideas with friends! tomorrow I'm going to meet with a group of friends to discuss all the poems in our poetry anthology and annotate everything. I find discussing/debating ideas to be a really helpful way to understand a text as well as collating lots of ideas and knowledge :-)

Thank you so much! Yes, I have done about 7 past papers so far and I feel more comfy, so when I go back to school I'm going to do as many as I can! And good idea, I'll give my friends a call :wink:
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Seeing your snaphats and tweets is really motivating - I procrastinate endlessly on social media then realise how productive you're somehow being, and so I actually get work done!

Good luck with your revision - I'm an A2 student but I think GCSEs were more hellish than A levels because of the wider range of stuff you have to learn, so it only gets better overall, and it's all worth it on results day! :smile:

That is literally what I think, I don't struggle with the content, I struggle with how many different subjects there are! I am literally terrified for results day. I got all A*s and one A in my mocks (i hadn't read my english lit texts oops) so now I know I can do it, I'll be disappointed in myself if i don't! Best of luck at A2!
Thank you so much! Yes, I have done about 7 past papers so far and I feel more comfy, so when I go back to school I'm going to do as many as I can! And good idea, I'll give my friends a call :wink:

Original post by nm1276
Haha, i don't wear makeup and i watch her videos! haha i watch them for her personality, but anyway it's your opinion!

Hey eve, why is everyone being overly nice to u? Are you either slightly famous or good-looking, i haven't searched you up on youtube coz my internet is going down but they're the normal reasons why people bum-lick other people. Also could be because you're just a girl but i don't think TSR members are THAT desperate.

doctor who when was your birthday and what are you studying at A2?
Yeah right now I'm doing fairly laid back revision, but next week I'm gonna start pushing and when I go back to school it's gonna be past paper central haha!

Yeah I'm feeling the same - don't wanna start with the past papers too early because there's not enough to keep me going for so long, although my teachers have set me a hell of a load of past papers for this holidays
Original post by caitlinford3
Yeah I'm feeling the same - don't wanna start with the past papers too early because there's not enough to keep me going for so long, although my teachers have set me a hell of a load of past papers for this holidays

I handed in 3 english ones on the last week of term so I'm not going to do too many over the holidays because I haven't got enough feedback! But history and RS don't know whats coming haha...
Hey eve, why is everyone being overly nice to u? Are you either slightly famous or good-looking, i haven't searched you up on youtube coz my internet is going down but they're the normal reasons why people bum-lick other people. Also could be because you're just a girl but i don't think TSR members are THAT desperate.

doctor who when was your birthday and what are you studying at A2?

Everyone's being nice to Eve because she's lovely and makes great videos - if you don't care about her, which is clearly the case, then you're not forced to stay on this thread.

If you must know, I was born in 1998, as implied by my username, and I study English Literature, History and Politics. I did AS English Language and AS ICT.
Original post by nm1276
Btw guys, asking anyone, how do people reivse english literature? Mainly plays, like romeo and juliet? I'm struggling to revise it, as it's on my exam, not just coursework? I know people recommend mind maps, however, is characters and themes all you need to know? Please any help i'll be so grateful i'm stressing!

Thankyou in advance :smile:

Heya! I did English Lit GCSE last year, somehow managed to get 100% UMS in it overall. For the play (I did An Inspector Calls - I feel bad for you, having to do R+J/Shakespeare's least interesting play!), the important thing is definitely knowing key events and how they relate to the characters, especially if an event leads to character development or shows character development. The other important thing is themes. Theeeemes. Know all the themes and know at least 2 - 3 examples for each which you can discuss thoroughly. But also remember that with English Literature, because it's so open to interpretation, that as long as any claim you make is well-substantiated you're likely to get marks for it.
(Just make sure you know your themes/characters/obvious points!)
Original post by caitlinford3
Honestly, it can be worth it to do each past paper twice - questions tend to repeat themselves! (No, seriously. One of my history questions was essentially a rephrasing of a question from about 4 years ago that I'd practiced a week before the exam. I let out such a weird giggle upon seeing it that the invigilator came and stood by me for a full minute!)
Saying that, apart from history where I probably did ~3-4 past papers after my mock, I got by on 2 or 3 per subject. Once you have the exam technique down (mark schemes are your friend), you don't need to worry too much with them I think!

This changes at A Level though, at least for essay subjects: next year, the more past papers you can do the better!
(edited 8 years ago)
Everyone's being nice to Eve because she's lovely and makes great videos - if you don't care about her, which is clearly the case, then you're not forced to stay on this thread.

If you must know, I was born in 1998, as implied by my username, and I study English Literature, History and Politics. I did AS English Language and AS ICT.

I meant your birthday, not year as it's "implied by your username".
d ude

eve

you need to chill

As an a level student i can safely tell you that GCSEs are not worth nine hours over, i wouldn't even say four or three! We got into AS and the teachers were like "yeah, gcses mean basically nothing its a levels that are actually looked at". That's amazing that you're predicted such high grades, but honestly as long as you get the entry requirements for if you want to do a levels you shouldn't put any pressure on yourself :smile:
Also Eve you totally have a zoella-esque vibe about you, how do you run a youtube channel while you're still at school too? I'd love to do one but I know I'd get bullied to death.
Original post by Sophhascoconuts
d ude

eve

you need to chill

As an a level student i can safely tell you that GCSEs are not worth nine hours over, i wouldn't even say four or three! We got into AS and the teachers were like "yeah, gcses mean basically nothing its a levels that are actually looked at". That's amazing that you're predicted such high grades, but honestly as long as you get the entry requirements for if you want to do a levels you shouldn't put any pressure on yourself :smile:

I know GCSEs don't matter, but now my teachers, friends, family and I know what I am capable of I really do want to get the grades! I'm a natural stresser and it really helps me to talk about it all so thats why I am here!
I handed in 3 english ones on the last week of term so I'm not going to do too many over the holidays because I haven't got enough feedback! But history and RS don't know whats coming haha...

Yeah I understand what you mean about English & oh jesus don't remind me about RS, I can't stand the subject and hate hate hate doing past papers on it :frown:
Reply 58
Do you have any advice for ICT ? I suppose you did Edexcel? Especially the exam?
Original post by Sophhascoconuts
Also Eve you totally have a zoella-esque vibe about you, how do you run a youtube channel while you're still at school too? I'd love to do one but I know I'd get bullied to death.

People are always super sly about it and it bothered me at first but because I go to an all girls school people are usually bitchy on the down low so I don't care anymore. I really enjoy it and its helping me save for uni and it doesn't affect my grades so people's opinions dont phase me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest