The Student Room Group

Ionisation Energy Questions

I really need help with some textbook questions and I am too embarrassed to ask my teacher so far in the year. Can anyone help out and explain how to solve these questions?

2) a) The mercury atom has an ionisation energy of 10.4 eV. Calculate this ionisation energy in joules.

b) An electron with 12.0 eV of kinetic energy collides with a mercury atom and ionises it. Calculate the kinetic energy, in eV, of the electron after the collision.

Thanks!!! I have read this chapter in the textbook twice and it still doesn't explain what a question like this is asking for.
Original post by ryanaue
I really need help with some textbook questions and I am too embarrassed to ask my teacher so far in the year. Can anyone help out and explain how to solve these questions?

2) a) The mercury atom has an ionisation energy of 10.4 eV. Calculate this ionisation energy in joules.

b) An electron with 12.0 eV of kinetic energy collides with a mercury atom and ionises it. Calculate the kinetic energy, in eV, of the electron after the collision.

Thanks!!! I have read this chapter in the textbook twice and it still doesn't explain what a question like this is asking for.

a) What is 1eV in J? What is the definition of an electron volt?

b) Consider conservation of energy.
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
a) What is 1eV in J? What is the definition of an electron volt?

b) Consider conservation of energy.

Sorry for late reply, I realiased how to do these not long after I posted this thread. Quite embarrassed at how easy these questions were. XD
Thanks for the response!!
Reply 3
Original post by ryanaue
Sorry for late reply, I realiased how to do these not long after I posted this thread. Quite embarrassed at how easy these questions were. XD
Thanks for the response!!

Each and every one of us understands concepts differently so there is nothing to get embarrassed of

Quick Reply

Latest