The Student Room Group

Electronic Configurations

what is the electronic configuration of the element in period 3 with the highest first ionisation energy?
(edited 7 months ago)
Explanation: Argon's atomic number is 18.
S shells can hold up to 2 electrons
p shells can hold up to 6 electrons
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by metricmetric
give the full electronic configuration of the element in period 3 with the highest first ionisation energy

Remember - the general trend of first ionisation energy
Across a period:
Increase nuclear charge, same electron shielding, reduce atomic radius, greater electrostatic attraction to outer electron, more energy required to remove so higher ionisation energy.
There are 2 dips for the elements across period 2 and 3
Going from from your outer s2 to p1 orbitals, as the p orbital has a higher energy level, less energy needed to remove
From p3 to p4, as the paired electrons repel, less energy needed
Read https://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/properties/ies.html
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Jez15
X

Hi @Jez15,

Thank you for posting in the Chemistry Forum.

However, please be aware that generally we do not provide full solutions. This is because we want to encourage learning and problem-solving rather than simply providing answers.

May I politely request that you edit your post by excluding the section where you provide a complete solution?

We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to seeing you continue to contribute to the Chemistry Forum!

5hyl33n
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi @Jez15,

Thank you for posting in the Chemistry Forum.

However, please be aware that generally we do not provide full solutions. This is because we want to encourage learning and problem-solving rather than simply providing answers.

May I politely request that you edit your post by excluding the section where you provide a complete solution?

We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to seeing you continue to contribute to the Chemistry Forum!

5hyl33n

Sorry, my bad. I am new to this.

Thank you.
Original post by Jez15
Sorry, my bad. I am new to this.

Thank you.

No problem! Thank you for editing your post!

You are free to carry on assisting the OP, but may I suggest you give them hints as to how to get to the answer?
Original post by metricmetric
give the full electronic configuration of the element in period 3 with the highest first ionisation energy

Hi @metricmetric,

Thank you for posting in the Chemistry Forum!

I've updated the title of your thread to 'Electronic Configurations' and added an 'All Levels' study label for better clarity.

5hyl33n

Quick Reply

Latest