The Student Room Group

Do you use coconut oil?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LittleMissMay
What's "oil pulling?"

You swill a tablespoon of oil (usually coconut) around in your mouth first thing in the morning. It draws out bacteria, whitens teeth, reduces bad breath among other benefits.
Original post by .JC.
You swill a tablespoon of oil (usually coconut) around in your mouth first thing in the morning. It draws out bacteria, whitens teeth, reduces bad breath among other benefits.

Oh thanks for telling me, but I just looked it up lol aren't you a little health bot? :tongue: and...it's...interesting, I might try it. Was it difficult I mean 20 minutes is a long time...and supposedly gross?
i use it on my "man" bush
Yes, for everything.

It's a vegan person's staple. In my cooking, on my face, body, in my hair, on my teeth, (oil pulling when hungover is a godsend), and I recently used it instead of other antiseptic creams and whatnot to heal my tattoo. Saves so much money not buying all those products separately and you know exactly what you're using.
Reply 24
Oh thanks for telling me, but I just looked it up lol aren't you a little health bot? :tongue: and...it's...interesting, I might try it. Was it difficult I mean 20 minutes is a long time...and supposedly gross?

Nah it's really not bad at all. Putting a tablespoon in at first may make you gag but once you're used to it, it's fine. I enjoy it as it makes your mouth feel so clean, especially after you brush your teeth too.
Original post by .JC.
Nah it's really not bad at all. Putting a tablespoon in at first may make you gag but once you're used to it, it's fine. I enjoy it as it makes your mouth feel so clean, especially after you brush your teeth too.

What exactly do I have to be getting used to? :s-smilie: I'm gonna try it tomorrow since it says, first thing in the morning lol
Reply 26
What exactly do I have to be getting used to? :s-smilie: I'm gonna try it tomorrow since it says, first thing in the morning lol

The feeling of having it in your mouth. It's not too bad, you're just sticking in a big spoonful of solid oil that you have to chew a bit to make it melt. In a minute or so it will become liquid if you chew/mush it around :lol: and then you should swish it for 20 minutes.
Original post by .JC.
The feeling of having it in your mouth. It's not too bad, you're just sticking in a big spoonful of solid oil that you have to chew a bit to make it melt. In a minute or so it will become liquid if you chew/mush it around :lol: and then you should swish it for 20 minutes.

Solid oil? And wait I was planning to use ****ing cooking oil :lol: What happens if I do it for 19 minutes...? lol
can i ask the women here, how EXACTLY do you use it for hair? i tried and it dried and went gross
Original post by fluffpot89
I 'm a little obsessed with it at the moment!

They are currently selling the cold-pressed variety at Aldi for just £2.99

Did a little review here:- http://teddybearpaws1.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/cheap-coconut-oil-for-299.html

My hair is really broken and damaged from bleach so I love using it as an overnight masque and I love making chocolate with it !

It's amazing spread on toast! I find it clogs my pores if I use it on my face and it's too light as a body moisturiser and too flimsy as a deodorant despite everyone raving about it for these uses. But yes, it's great for hair as it prevent protein loss during washing as it reduces the amount by which the hair shaft swells when wet, which always causes some damage. I found that it oxidises terribly on towels and clothing though, even after an extra hot wash...
Original post by shawtyb
can i ask the women here, how EXACTLY do you use it for hair? i tried and it dried and went gross

Before shampooing on dry hair and leave to absorb for an hour.
Reply 31
Solid oil? And wait I was planning to use ****ing cooking oil :lol: What happens if I do it for 19 minutes...? lol

Coconut oil comes solid(ish) and it melts in your mouth. I wouldn't use cooking oil haha I'd buy some especially.

It doesn't matter if it's not 20 minutes exactly, just roughly. That's the time most do it for anyway.
There are no scientifically proven benefits to oil pulling. It's of very little benefit.
Original post by leavingthecity
Before shampooing on dry hair and leave to absorb for an hour.

will it still go gross?
Original post by .JC.
Coconut oil comes solid(ish) and it melts in your mouth. I wouldn't use cooking oil haha I'd buy some especially.

It doesn't matter if it's not 20 minutes exactly, just roughly. That's the time most do it for anyway.

So like...wake up, then check messages, swish swish, spit, rinse, health?
And ok I use products simply with coconut oil in them but where do I get the solid raw shtuff?
Hope I'm not a bother. :h:
Original post by leavingthecity
There are no scientifically proven benefits to oil pulling. It's of very little benefit.

Couldn't hurt ta try.
So like...wake up, then check messages, swish swish, spit, rinse, health?
And ok I use products simply with coconut oil in them but where do I get the solid raw shtuff?
Hope I'm not a bother. :h:

holland and barretts, health food places etc most places tbh
Original post by thefatone
i use it on my "man" bush

That was nice to know, growing a beard down there to make up for the bum fluff on your chin?
Original post by shawtyb
will it still go gross?

All depends on your hair type and how thoroughly you wash it out!

What is your hair type?

Did you try this in hot or cold weather?
Couldn't hurt ta try.

Hmm, it's a bit of a waste and it may not hurt you but I'd be concerned for my plumbing.

Quick Reply

Latest