The Student Room Group

Getting a tattoo for the first time

Heyyy so I’m getting my very first ever tattoo in a couple of days time and I’m really excited but just wanted to come on here and ask if there’s anything really i should know beforehand.

It’s only a small tattoo on my upper forearm and I’ve also bought numbing cream that I’m going to use on the day. I think my biggest worry is that I’ll feel faint whilst getting it done😅 I’ll eat and drink well before hand obviously but it’s just the slight nervousness of not knowing what to expect lol

Also…when I do go to apply my numbing cream will I have to put clingfilm on or something like that over my arm too? I never knew about that till someone mentioned it to me?

Any support or advice would be really appreciated :smile:
Your body will largely numb to the pain pretty quick while it's getting done tbh. The tattooist will v likely coat it in coconut oil or similar and cling wrap it for you. The pain is pretty mild when healing.
Honestly it'll be fine - I have 0 pain tolerance and I've got all my tattoos without numbing cream and I don't think it's used all that commonly from speaking to my artists. Eat a lot of things like carbohydrates, my first tatttoo artist told me to eat potatoes before so now that's what I do every time haha, but it'll be fine! You can let your tattoo artist know you're nervous and they will help you feel comfortable but usually they do check in with you regularly. I would mention the numbing cream too. The tattoo artist will put clingfilm on after your tattoo is done with some moisturising cream and you leave it on for about 2ish hours to let everything set in, and then you can wash it with non-hot water. Remember your ID!! And for aftercare the tattoo artist will advise you and different people do it differently but main thing is keep it out the sun (that applies forever, sun cream is important) and don't go to saunas or swimming pools etc, keep it clean. I personally like to use Tattoo Goo products from Superdrug which come with a soap for it and a moisturiser, make sure to moisturise it at least 3 times a day for the first few weeks and be prepared for it to be itchy and scabby while healing but do not pick at it! But some people also just use cocoa butter or something, personally I used it for 1 tattoo but felt it clogged up my pores too much so I rather spend a bit more on Tattoo Goo.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Your body will largely numb to the pain pretty quick while it's getting done tbh. The tattooist will v likely coat it in coconut oil or similar and cling wrap it for you. The pain is pretty mild when healing.

Just got it done yesterday but yeah definitely agree now, I got used to the feeling pretty quickly
Reply 4
Original post by RambleAmple
Honestly it'll be fine - I have 0 pain tolerance and I've got all my tattoos without numbing cream and I don't think it's used all that commonly from speaking to my artists. Eat a lot of things like carbohydrates, my first tatttoo artist told me to eat potatoes before so now that's what I do every time haha, but it'll be fine! You can let your tattoo artist know you're nervous and they will help you feel comfortable but usually they do check in with you regularly. I would mention the numbing cream too. The tattoo artist will put clingfilm on after your tattoo is done with some moisturising cream and you leave it on for about 2ish hours to let everything set in, and then you can wash it with non-hot water. Remember your ID!! And for aftercare the tattoo artist will advise you and different people do it differently but main thing is keep it out the sun (that applies forever, sun cream is important) and don't go to saunas or swimming pools etc, keep it clean. I personally like to use Tattoo Goo products from Superdrug which come with a soap for it and a moisturiser, make sure to moisturise it at least 3 times a day for the first few weeks and be prepared for it to be itchy and scabby while healing but do not pick at it! But some people also just use cocoa butter or something, personally I used it for 1 tattoo but felt it clogged up my pores too much so I rather spend a bit more on Tattoo Goo.

I acc didn't end up using the cream in the end but I thought it was fine and less sore than I expected. I’m just using cocoa butter for aftercare now :smile:
Original post by Newtothis_24
Just got it done yesterday but yeah definitely agree now, I got used to the feeling pretty quickly

Im thinking of gettiny my first tattoo actually

Quick Reply

Latest