The Student Room Group

UKMT Intermediate Olympiad 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I have found that geomentry skills come with lots of practice, did you do the cayley of hamilton? I did the cayley, and just wrote down every angle/side i knew on each geomentry question, worked out more angles and sides from basic geomentry rules, and eventually the answer becomes clear.
Original post by A02
Same here, next year i'll be in year 10, and am aiming for ~30 in the bmo. Ive got plane eucidean geomentry and the intro to number theorey books. If anyone wants to try "fun" olympiad problems, look here https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ebook.sman1-slo.sch.id/Matematika/buku%2520contest/ebook%2520contest/problem%2520primer.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwip9PfN7LrLAhUDwBQKHd5rBoYQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNEmETmToaQSn3O2kEzYNTKYqGFcOg&sig2=oI9grM-i6nxrtfNding4aw geomentry, and they've helped wsa=t&sourrct=j&url=http://ebook.sman1-s

Cheers for the link, it looks very helpful :smile: and I'm currently year nine too. If you ever want to talk maths you can hit me up, we seem to have fairly similar experiences.
Original post by abcdefghij1234
For the Intermediate Olympiads, how do you learn to do the geometry? I did well in the numerical stuff but skipped the shapes as they looked a) advanced and b) I was taking my time on the questions I could do. Are you just naturally incredibly good (obviously you are really good, or you wouldn't be in the Olympiad) or do you learn a load of tips or what? Had I been given an extra hour, I don't think I would have got more than 5 marks on the polygon question, and yet I did several past papers. I'm not stupid (I go to a normal comprehensive school and got about 30 points higher than anyone else in my year!) but cannot see how one can answer 6 such difficult (really, for me, 2 difficult and 4 mild) questions in 2 hours!
Thanks

As everyone else has said: LABELLING. It is helpful, easy for the markers to understand, easy for you to understand, and helps you understand the question better and makes clear things that are implicitly true but not directly stated. At intermediate level, you only need to know the very basic facts (though knowing more can be helpful to understand the question) so I'd say it's mostly just about how you apply the information you have. Hope this helps!
(edited 8 years ago)
Do we get to see our papers??
Reply 125
Original post by 123Master321
Do we get to see our papers??

We get our papers returned, with the marker's notes.
Do we find out our IMC score?
Reply 127
Original post by abcdefghij1234
Do we find out our IMC score?

Your school will know, just ask them
just got my cayley mark, I got 54/60, how did everyone else do? Would this score be high enough for the summer training camps next year?
Reply 129
I got my cayley mark too, 59/60, i missed out 333 on q1, well done on getting 54.
Well done!
I got 58.. I lost 2 marks on Q3
Even if you do do well on Cayley, would you be invited to the summer training camp? Apparently it's only for people who do well in Hamilton and Mclaurin papers..
Wow, you two are amazing! Are you gonna do bmo1 next year?
There is a big gap between BMO1 and Cayley. If you think that you can do it, do it. However, just because you scored well on the Cayley paper doesn't mean that you'll be successful in the BMO1. It's a difficult paper that could be a step too far at the moment. Well done on doing really well in Cayley however just know that the BMO will be difficult. You need to know lots more maths and it will be a lot harder than anything you have done before (probably).

I recommend you do it in the future, but only do it if you think you can do well on the paper as otherwise it's a waste of time. As before, congratulations on the high scores in Cayley and best of luck in the future.
Since Christmas I started doing some bro questions, I've now done over 30 questions so I think I could get at least 20 on bmo1, would it be worth it? I really enjoy doing the questions, can usually get the easier number theory and geometry ones
Bmo1*
Original post by Anonymous
Since Christmas I started doing some bro questions, I've now done over 30 questions so I think I could get at least 20 on bmo1, would it be worth it? I really enjoy doing the questions, can usually get the easier number theory and geometry ones

Actually, yes. Go for it. I thought you had no experience at al with the questions and just wanted to do it. I would give you a good grounding for the future.

Just remember that this is your first year and you're so young so no-one is expecting 60. Just do what you enjoy.

Good luck :smile:
I got 57. Made a mistake on Q5.
Reply 137
Original post by Maths465Man
I got 57. Made a mistake on Q5.

Well done! You did yhe hamilton didn't you?
Original post by A02
Well done! You did yhe hamilton didn't you?

Yeah. Part of me is happy and part of me is annoyed because I had the correct solution in my workings. Oh well...
Reply 139
Original post by Maths465Man
Yeah. Part of me is happy and part of me is annoyed because I had the correct solution in my workings. Oh well...

Same here, i would have got 60 if i had not missed 333 is divisable by 9 for question 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending