The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Anime/Japanese culture in Keele

Hello, I'm an international student from the United States who is stuck between choosing Keele University or Meiji University (Japan). What is the anime/Japanese culture like in Keele and/or the UK? I like to cosplay and buy lots of merchandise but I don't just want to buy the merchandise online XD I love the history of the UK and everything about Keele but I need to have more pros for Keele, especially ones relating to Japan :smile:
This is the weirdest thing to base your Uni choice on :erm:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Original post by somemightsay888
This is the weirdest thing to base your Uni choice on :erm:

I'm not basing my decision on it per say, but it'd certainly help me. I've been changing my mind about it every night lol one night I'll choose Keele and the other I'll choose Meiji. My heart is torn between the two so I'm wondering if I can have a little bit of both but be at Keele.
Original post by ShyDreamer
I'm not basing my decision on it per say, but it'd certainly help me. I've been changing my mind about it every night lol one night I'll choose Keele and the other I'll choose Meiji. My heart is torn between the two so I'm wondering if I can have a little bit of both but be at Keele.

I mean...the Japanese Uni is going to be objectively better for those things you want. There's no way to sugar coat that, you should choose the Japanese one. Not only that but merchandise is going to be way cheaper in Japan than from Keele and UK importers.
Reply 4
Original post by somemightsay888
I mean...the Japanese Uni is going to be objectively better for those things you want. There's no way to sugar coat that, you should choose the Japanese one. Not only that but merchandise is going to be way cheaper in Japan than from Keele and UK importers.

Yeah kinda figured. It's just so hard since I want to go to both but I obviously can't. I was thinking that I could just go to Keele and do the study abroad program but idk. Thanks for replying (even though I'm a ****ing noob) and helping me make my decision.
Original post by ShyDreamer
Hello, I'm an international student from the United States who is stuck between choosing Keele University or Meiji University (Japan). What is the anime/Japanese culture like in Keele and/or the UK? I like to cosplay and buy lots of merchandise but I don't just want to buy the merchandise online XD I love the history of the UK and everything about Keele but I need to have more pros for Keele, especially ones relating to Japan :smile:

Hiya

At Keele we do have an anime and manga society that's pretty active :smile: I've not been a part of it though, so I can't comment on how good they are. They have a Facebook group though that you could give a message.

As for the UK as a whole, I think there is quite a big fanbase for Japanese film, books and culture. A few of my friends have been to comic conventions in London and Birmingham and they seemed to enjoy it a lot. Maybe try researching these conventions and looking at the reviews, etc.

It goes without saying though that Japan would be the best place for cosplaying and getting varied and cheap merchandise and if the university is near Tokyo then you're pretty much sorted for all your shopping needs.

Hope this helped a little even though I'm mostly clueless about anime! (the only experience I have is watching Miyazaki films and reading fruits basket years ago lol)

Samera
Third year pharmacy student at Keele :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Daydreamer <3 xx
Hiya

At Keele we do have an anime and manga society that's pretty active :smile: I've not been a part of it though, so I can't comment on how good they are. They have a Facebook group though that you could give a message.

As for the UK as a whole, I think there is quite a big fanbase for Japanese film, books and culture. A few of my friends have been to comic conventions in London and Birmingham and they seemed to enjoy it a lot. Maybe try researching these conventions and looking at the reviews, etc.

It goes without saying though that Japan would be the best place for cosplaying and getting varied and cheap merchandise and if the university is near Tokyo then you're pretty much sorted for all your shopping needs.

Hope this helped a little even though I'm mostly clueless about anime! (the only experience I have is watching Miyazaki films and reading fruits basket years ago lol)

Samera
Third year pharmacy student at Keele :smile:

Thanks! Yeah it's so close to Akihabara (8 min drive and 15 min train i believe). I should just go to Japan and then come to the UK when I am ready. I'll miss the UK though haha
After looking at the Keele website I've found that you can study at both Keele and another university in another country.

Keele sends out around 120 students to other universities every year. You go in your second year for a semester or two.
Or - from what I can gather - for a year if you want to do a placement.
Then you come back to Keele.

There's three partner universities they have in Japan, one of which is around 50 minutes to 1 hour away from Akihabara.

You might want to ask and apply as early as you can.

It doesn't seem to matter what you're studying for the most part (obviously check first) and you'll need to have decent grades too when you're at Keele, from the website it says 55% minimum overall to study abroad and 60% average if you're studying physics, astrophysics, or law at Keele. You'll be studying the same sort of modules at the other university. You'll be able to go to somewhere in America, Europa, Asia, South Africa, Australia if you want to.

Just Google for "Keele aboard" and read through the stuff on the Keele website. Also ask people who have already done it like third year students and see what they really thought of the experience and the university that they went to.

Some people from Keele have done short vlogs on YouTube about doing this and studying in another country so just search for "Keele abroad" on YouTube or something like that and look through some videos.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
You can take a language (like Japanese, for instance) alongside your degree. If you pass that qualification you get a 3 week trip to the language's country. You can also take a semester to study there too.

Quick Reply

Latest