The Student Room Group

Does a BA (insert language here) look bad?

So I've always wanted to do Japanese at Leeds and I'm very happy with my choice, finishing up my 2nd year now which was spent abroad. However I've started to get some comments when I tell people my degree- I say I'm doing BA Japanese and they're like, is that it? So then I have to explain to them, obviously I'm not just doing language modules, I have to take a bunch of modules in society and culture, history, international relations and so forth... It's just that the degree is simply titled 'BA Japanese'. I guess because it has more of a focus on language. I don't know. I remember when I was applying I specifically tried to avoid places offering 'Japanese studies', because I've heard anything ending in studies has a bit of a bad rep. I thought just 'Japanese' would look a little more prestigious but now I'm finding that everyone thinks it sounds too.. easy? What do you think? Is it too late to switch to dual honours when entering 3rd year?
(edited 11 months ago)
I don’t see how Japanese is easy, it’s a very difficult language to learn for native English speakers. In any case, you shouldn’t just change your degree based on other people’s opinions and ignorance.
Reply 2
Dont be put off by snide comments. A language degree is highly sought after and you will get a job quicker than some of your friends. Japanese is not a common language so you will easily get a job with a trade association or government body that deals with Japan and needs Japnese speakers. Stick with what you are doing, no need to swap to duel degree.
Reply 3
Original post by Yasuda
So I've always wanted to do Japanese at Leeds and I'm very happy with my choice, finishing up my 2nd year now which was spent abroad. However I've started to get some comments when I tell people my degree- I say I'm doing BA Japanese and they're like, is that it? So then I have to explain to them, obviously I'm not just doing language modules, I have to take a bunch of modules in society and culture, history, international relations and so forth... It's just that the degree is simply titled 'BA Japanese'. I guess because it has more of a focus on language. I don't know. I remember when I was applying I specifically tried to avoid places offering 'Japanese studies', because I've heard anything ending in studies has a bit of a bad rep. I thought just 'Japanese' would look a little more prestigious but now I'm finding that everyone thinks it sounds too.. easy? What do you think? Is it too late to switch to dual honours when entering 3rd year?

I'm sure the same "I'm not just doing language modules, I have to take a bunch of modules in society and culture, history, international relations and so forth" thing applies to any modern language degree.

And there are probably widespread misconceptions about what every degree course entails from people who haven't done that (or a similar) course. I'm sure there are people who ask History students "What's the point of studying history? Surely it's just learning the dates of battles, and what's the use in that?"

People who are interested in recruiting someone with languages skills are, I suspect, going to more impressed by people having a single honours language degree (e.g. BA Japanese, BA French, etc) than someone with a joint/combined hours degree (e.g. "BA Japanese and X", "BA French and Politics")

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending