The Student Room Group

Uni requirement help

Hi so I'm currently taking UAL Level 3 National Diploma / Extended Diploma in Creative Practice: Multimedia Design and Animation in college and am in my first year.
I know what I want to do for uni which is Japanese language and History, issue is I don't know if the course I'm currently taking would allow me to do those courses. I've been told by my teacher it's equivalent to 3 A-levels but I don't see this qualification listed on the Uni courses. I would've wanted to take a course that could contribute to the Japanese uni course I want to take but there wasn't any available near me. Would I still be able to get into uni with this qualification? Any recommendations of what I should change too if I can't get into uni with this qualification?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by RenKolao
Hi so I'm currently taking UAL Level 3 National Diploma / Extended Diploma in Creative Practice: Multimedia Design and Animation in college and am in my first year.
I know what I want to do for uni which is Japanese language and History, issue is I don't know if the course I'm currently taking would allow me to do those courses. I've been told by my teacher it's equivalent to 3 A-levels but I don't see this qualification listed on the Uni courses. I would've wanted to take a course that could contribute to the Japanese uni course I want to take but there wasn't any available near me. Would I still be able to get into uni with this qualification? Any recommendations of what I should change too if I can't get into uni with this qualification?

First, I should point out that you've mentioned two distinct qualifications - the "UAL Level 3 National Diploma in Creative Practice: Multimedia Design and Animation" and the "UAL Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Creative Practice: Multimedia Design and Animation". If you've been told that your qualification is the equivalent of three A levels, then you're doing the Extended Diploma.

I don't know of any UK university which specifically mentions accepting UAL Extended Diplomas as being an acceptable entry qualification for the study of Japanese and History. Instead, I suggest you seek those which state their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. Your Extended Diploma will be worth 72 (pass), 120 (merit) or 168 (distinction) UCAS Tariff points.

Are you looking to study a single honours degree which covers the Japanese language and Japanese history? Are are you looking to study a joint honours degree which covers Japanese separately from History (generally)?

Note that you may be able to find a relevant course which is of interest to you but isn't called "Japanese and History".

For example, Oxford Brookes offer a Japanese Studies BA where they want "UCAS Tariff Points: 104" (details). They make no mention of having to have a language qualification to meet their entry criteria.

If you are able to answer the question above about what it is your looking to study, I'll see if there are options in addition to that at Oxford Brookes.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
First, I should point out that you've mentioned two distinct qualifications - the "UAL Level 3 National Diploma in Creative Practice: Multimedia Design and Animation" and the "UAL Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Creative Practice: Multimedia Design and Animation". If you've been told that your qualification is the equivalent of three A levels, then you're doing the Extended Diploma.

I don't know of any UK university which specifically mentions accepting UAL Extended Diplomas as being an acceptable entry qualification for the study of Japanese and History. Instead, I suggest you seek those which state their entry requirements in terms of UCAS points. Your Extended Diploma will be worth 72 (pass), 120 (merit) or 168 (distinction) UCAS Tariff points.

Are you looking to study a single honours degree which covers the Japanese language and Japanese history? Are are you looking to study a joint honours degree which covers Japanese separately from History (generally)?

Note that you may be able to find a relevant course which is of interest to you but isn't called "Japanese and History".

For example, Oxford Brookes offer a Japanese Studies BA where they want "UCAS Tariff Points: 104" (details). They make no mention of having to have a language qualification to meet their entry criteria.

If you are able to answer the question above about what it is your looking to study, I'll see if there are options in addition to that at Oxford Brookes.

Yes it's the Extended Diploma and the course would include both Japanese and History in one so single honour. I seen a couple course and its listed as just Japanese sometimes but you choose to do either politics or history something along those lines. Basically a course thats focused on Japanese but if I had to choose then I would do history in it.
Yes it's the Extended Diploma and the course would include both Japanese and History in one so single honour. I seen a couple course and its listed as just Japanese sometimes but you choose to do either politics or history something along those lines. Basically a course thats focused on Japanese but if I had to choose then I would do history in it.

Understood. Then in addition to Japanese Studies BA at Oxford Brookes (which I mentioned above as wanting "UCAS Tariff Points: 104"), I offer you Japanese Studies BA (Hons) at Birkbeck, University of London, who want "96-128 points" for the three-year course, and just 48 points for the four-year course. Note, however, that they would normally expect applicants to already be competent in Japanese, but say "students without prior knowledge of Japanese may also be accepted." (details)

I realise that this is a very short list. There are not a huge number of relevant courses (just 20 providers offer Japanese Studies degrees in the UK, for example), and the fact that you've studied a UAL Extended Diploma (which is not widely accepted for non-arts courses) make this a challenge.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. Then in addition to Japanese Studies BA at Oxford Brookes (which I mentioned above as wanting "UCAS Tariff Points: 104"), I offer you Japanese Studies BA (Hons) at Birkbeck, University of London, who want "96-128 points" for the three-year course, and just 48 points for the four-year course. Note, however, that they would normally expect applicants to already be competent in Japanese, but say "students without prior knowledge of Japanese may also be accepted." (details)

I realise that this is a very short list. There are not a huge number of relevant courses (just 20 providers offer Japanese Studies degrees in the UK, for example), and the fact that you've studied a UAL Extended Diploma (which is not widely accepted for non-arts courses) make this a challenge.

Thanks for the recommendations. If a course allows BTEC Extended Diploma would a UAL one count as well even if it's not listed? Sorry if this is out of your knowledge I just saw some with that and all I know is the UAL and BTEC are equivalent except they have different people marking them or something?
Thanks for the recommendations. If a course allows BTEC Extended Diploma would a UAL one count as well even if it's not listed? Sorry if this is out of your knowledge I just saw some with that and all I know is the UAL and BTEC are equivalent except they have different people marking them or something?

UAL qualifications are similar to BTECs, but are very art-focussed and don't appear to be widely accepted for non-art degrees.

I would have expected that universities which accept UAL qualifications would specifically say so in their entry requirements.

If there are courses which you're particularly interested in, but they don't mention that they accept UAL qualifications, then contact the admissions team and ask. If you post their response back on this thread, it would help me give accurate advice to other users in future. :smile:
Reply 6
I've emailed a few and got one responses waiting on some still.
Manchester uni: Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to consider an application based on the UAL diploma unless you were studying A Levels alongside this.
I've emailed a few and got one responses waiting on some still.
Manchester uni: Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to consider an application based on the UAL diploma unless you were studying A Levels alongside this.

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending