The Student Room Group

A453 OCR GCSE Computer Science HELP!

Hi, So basically we've just recently finished the controlled assessments of Computing but we have done no theory what so ever in the past year!

We has a new teacher come in after one went on leave maternity leave and our new teacher has done nothing but our controlled assessments with us and we haven't done any theory since year 10.

I was wondering if there were any sites or books or some type of revision material you guys could recommend to revise from for the written exam as i don't feel prepared at all for it.

Thankyou for the help :smile:
Reply 1
Anyone ? :/
type in youtube ocr computing revision, there is a whole playlist some guy has made which is based on the specification
OMG literally the same thing happened to me.
We did nothing in year 10, and in year 11 we got a teacher who only has an ICT degree. So we had only been doing the CA's all this time. We have only covered: Networks, Software and Hardware, and Databases.

I knew were not going to be taught everything by the time the exams start, so i got this revision guide:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Computing-Computer-Systems-Programming/dp/1444193848

It has some extra stuff about random topics, but just focus on the topics you've been taught.
Do you have the blue gcse computing textbook by Susan Robson? If you do - look at the topics in there, and then use the revision guide to learn the information, because it's simplified and easier to understand :smile: :smile:
Or have you been taught with another textbook?

I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, how did you do on your a453 and a452?
If you did well, i wouldn't worry about the exam so much, as it's only 40% :smile:
It looks quite cool :smile:
Thanks for that!
Reply 5
The ocr cambridge gcse computing website is so useful, there are loads of videos on the spec and then little quizzes and activities to consolidate what was on the videos. There are also worksheets with exam style questions on each breakdown topic. Hope this helps.
Reply 6
Original post by أنيسة
OMG literally the same thing happened to me.
We did nothing in year 10, and in year 11 we got a teacher who only has an ICT degree. So we had only been doing the CA's all this time. We have only covered: Networks, Software and Hardware, and Databases.

I knew were not going to be taught everything by the time the exams start, so i got this revision guide:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Computing-Computer-Systems-Programming/dp/1444193848

It has some extra stuff about random topics, but just focus on the topics you've been taught.
Do you have the blue gcse computing textbook by Susan Robson? If you do - look at the topics in there, and then use the revision guide to learn the information, because it's simplified and easier to understand :smile: :smile:
Or have you been taught with another textbook?

I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, how did you do on your a453 and a452?
If you did well, i wouldn't worry about the exam so much, as it's only 40% :smile:

I'll definitely take a look at that textbook thanks!! :smile:
I don't know the textbook we were taught from it was a long time ago i just hope that i can do well in this exam as i want to study it at A level.

I got an A* in the programming project and our investigation task is still being marks
Best of luck to you too :smile:
Original post by CopyThat
I'll definitely take a look at that textbook thanks!! :smile:
I don't know the textbook we were taught from it was a long time ago i just hope that i can do well in this exam as i want to study it at A level.

I got an A* in the programming project and our investigation task is still being marks
Best of luck to you too :smile:

Well done on getting an A*!!! That' so good :O

I got an A for my a453 and the practical investigation is due tonight at 11:59.... i should probably finish it!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest