The Student Room Group

I need help

I'm considering going into astrophysics and I am considering taking computer science for GCSE but I don't know if I need it or not. Any astrophysicists or someone in the similar type of job please let me know!! And my exam board is OCR so idk if that'll help
Original post by soulk1m
I'm considering going into astrophysics and I am considering taking computer science for GCSE but I don't know if I need it or not. Any astrophysicists or someone in the similar type of job please let me know!! And my exam board is OCR so idk if that'll help

I don't think you need to, not an astrophysicist but you should be able to get into comp. sci at A-level without the GCSE anyway. I don't see why you would need it for astrophysics - I would've thought physics/maths A-level were more important - but yeah just look at what you want to do after GCSE to get into an astrophysics degree assuming that's what you want to do, and then choose GCSEs based on that.

I don't think computer science GCSE is offered at all schools so it probably won't be compulsory to have done it for sixth form. And unis don't care about GCSEs as much as they do A-levels.
Original post by soulk1m
As the person above said, I don't think you necessarily need to do computer science gsce for astrophysics. Plus, assuming you want to do astrophysics in the future, I think universities mainly look at a-levels rather than gcse's. Although, I do think computer science is a good skill to have :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by infamous.nugget
As the person above said, I don't think you necessarily need to do computer science gsce for astrophysics. Plus, assuming you want to do astrophysics in the future, I think universities mainly look at a-levels rather than gcse's. Although, I do think computer science is a good skill to have :smile:
Thank you so much for your response!
Reply 4
Original post by spooky541
I don't think you need to, not an astrophysicist but you should be able to get into comp. sci at A-level without the GCSE anyway. I don't see why you would need it for astrophysics - I would've thought physics/maths A-level were more important - but yeah just look at what you want to do after GCSE to get into an astrophysics degree assuming that's what you want to do, and then choose GCSEs based on that.
I don't think computer science GCSE is offered at all schools so it probably won't be compulsory to have done it for sixth form. And unis don't care about GCSEs as much as they do A-levels.

thank you so much!
Original post by soulk1m

Hiya,

I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster Uni and I didn't take computer science at any level, so if it's something you don't want to take, don't feel obliged to!

I would recommend it if you are interested in the subject, as there is quite a bit of coding involved within an astrophysics degree / career, but if you have other subjects you would rather take for your GCSEs, then go for it. The two important subjects you need to do at A-Level is physics and maths (to apply to any physics-based course), but other than that, it is completely up to you what you compliment it with.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest