The Student Room Group

C2 Trig help

Question 7 a and b if possible.
https://c4a3f001dcd45afe69d0ceec83003f9fbc283b2c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYSGtmV3dzVVVvNTg/June%202014%20QP%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdf

I can never understand how to do these type of qestions. I would be very grateful if someone could give me a bit of guidance on it. Much appreciated.
Thanks!
For the first one: sin(theta+60)=4/9; sin^-1(4/9) = theta+60

you want to make the range (0 +60) </= (theta+60) < (360 + 60)

then take 60deg away from your results.

For the second: if you times by cosx you get 2sinx - 3 sinxcosx = 0;
Put in another form, sinx(2-3cosx)=0; Therefore sinx = 0 or cosx=2/3
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
For part b if you factorise to give
sinx(2cosx3)=0 \sin x(\frac{2}{\cos x} - 3 ) = 0 then it should become a lot more clear.
sinx=0 \sin x = 0 or 2cosx3=0 \frac{2}{\cos x} - 3=0 .

What you should not do in this situation is divide by sinx as you will lose answers. You should try and factorise as I have done.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
lol.jpgLooks like i was beaten to it but i did this paper earlier and got full marks on this question so here is how i got part b. Feel free to ask any further questions if you have any :3
Reply 4
Cosx=3/2 sinx=0 find both answers in radians to get values and then make them negative to get two more values. The answers would the ones in the range.
Reply 5
Original post by Thomith
lol.jpgLooks like i was beaten to it but i did this paper earlier and got full marks on this question so here is how i got part b. Feel free to ask any further questions if you have any :3

Could you possibly do it for part a as well please.
Reply 6
Heres what i got, but i didnt show much of my working out. Basically you Sin-1 both sides (assuming you only have a "1sin" notice how i divided by 9 first). Then change the limits depending on what accompanies the "Theta". Then because the answer is positive, only use parts of CAST where Sin is positive (A and S) and then -60 both sides and only put down answers between the original limits.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Thomith
Heres what i got, but i didnt show much of my working out. Basically you Sin-1 both sides (assuming you only have a "1sin" notice how i divided by 9 first). Then change the limits depending on what accompanies the "Theta". Then because the answer is positive, only use parts of CAST where Sin is positive (A and S) and then -60 both sides and only put down answers between the original limits.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you explain how you got those values of theta+60 and then the two values for theta at the end please.
Original post by Atiq629
Could you explain how you got those values of theta+60 and then the two values for theta at the end please.

http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/worked-solution/worked-solution.php?paper_id=115&solution=7.1

Watch that. (Personally I prefer to draw out the sin graph)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest