The Student Room Group

Struggling with Year 2 pure maths

Was thinking of doing maths at degree level but now year 13 has started and I just do not get the trig part of A2 maths. It’s really put me off and I’m rethinking my choice, do you think I should reconsider maths or is it just this that I’ve gotten worked up over
Reply 1
Original post by Baofjeisj
Was thinking of doing maths at degree level but now year 13 has started and I just do not get the trig part of A2 maths. It’s really put me off and I’m rethinking my choice, do you think I should reconsider maths or is it just this that I’ve gotten worked up over

Probably the latter, but what dont you get?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Probably the latter, but what dont you get?

Thanks for the reply! Ch. 7 which is trig and modelling doesn’t come easily to me (using angle addition/double angle formulae to solve things). I can do certain questions but end up looking at the mark scheme for more than half. I also have no idea how to use the cast diagram which I think is actually AS 😭. I ended last year with a B and found year 1 really enjoyable but I’m starting to dread maths lessons now
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply! Ch. 7 which is trig and modelling doesn’t come easily to me (using angle addition/double angle formulae to solve things). I can do certain questions but end up looking at the mark scheme for more than half. I also have no idea how to use the cast diagram which I think is actually AS 😭. I ended last year with a B and found year 1 really enjoyable but I’m starting to dread maths lessons now

Its worth understanding the cast diagram in terms of the basic sinusoidal curves and the unit circle where the right triangle has a unit hypotenuse with base (x) cos(theta) and height (y) sin(theta). Then its fairly straightforward that sin is symmetric about the y axis (90, 270) and cos is symmetric about the x axis (0 and 180) and because tan represents the gradient of a (extended) line, it must be symmetric +/-180. Let me know if you cant google a decent overview. Its simpler than it may seem.

For the angle addition/double angle ..., its often just a case of recognising that multiplying trig terms is roughly the same as adding the angles. But if you get stuck on some questions, even if youve looked at the solution, why not post here and ask for a bit of advice. At the end of the day, theyre a fairly basic set of identities that you simply learn to apply.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Its worth understanding the cast diagram in terms of the basic sinusoidal curves and the unit circle where the right triangle has a unit hypotenuse with base (x) cos(theta) and height (y) sin(theta). Then its fairly straightforward that sin is symmetric about the y axis (90, 270) and cos is symmetric about the x axis (0 and 180) and because tan represents the gradient of a (extended) line, it must be symmetric +/-180. Let me know if you cant google a decent overview. Its simpler than it may seem.

For the angle addition/double angle ..., its often just a case of recognising that multiplying trig terms is roughly the same as adding the angles. But if you get stuck on some questions, even if youve looked at the solution, why not post here and ask for a bit of advice. At the end of the day, theyre a fairly basic set of identities that you simply learn to apply.

God you’re amazing, thank you for your replies. Gonna take a shot at properly understanding the cast diagram. Think I need to chill out a bit and reproach the content. Again, thank you very much !
I remember exactly when I was feeling the same going through year 2 trig! It just takes a lot of practice, especially as its something completely new (radians and the cofunctions). You’ll be fine, this is how learning works. If this helps, I’m now studying maths at university :smile:
Reply 6
God you’re amazing, thank you for your replies. Gonna take a shot at properly understanding the cast diagram. Think I need to chill out a bit and reproach the content. Again, thank you very much !

This doesnt really talk about cast and it may be a bit thorough, but its fairly comprehensive
https://math.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Precalculus/Precalculus_1e_(OpenStax)/05%3A_Trigonometric_Functions/5.02%3A_Unit_Circle_-_Sine_and_Cosine_Functions
Tlmaths has a decent introduction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHARBTwF89k&ab_channel=TLMaths
but there are many others. I always think about the unit circle/right triangle so cos is positive where the x-axis is postive and is symmetric about a reflection in the x-axis, and sin is positive where the y-axis is postiive and is symmetric about a reflection in the y-axis etc, and the cast all just falls out. In fact, in terms of a unit circle you can think of the x axis as the cos axis and the y axis as the sin axis.
(edited 6 months ago)
Entirely unhelpful but interesting video from Numberphile on Trig.
(Note: Unhelpful as in it probably won't help you in exams)

If you have specific questions about maths, do ask someone, be it your teacher or TSR or something. If you are confused, chances are half of your class is also confused as well!

Quick Reply

Latest