The Student Room Group

Anode or Cathode?

Hi, basically I'm getting really confused about whether, in electrochemical cells, the cathode is positively or negatively charged?
I know that Oxidation occurs at the Anode (An Ox) and that Reduction occurs at the Cathode (Red Cat). So, electrons flow from where a species has been oxidised (at the anode) to reduce a species at the cathode.
I've always thought that the cathode is negative (as cations are positive) and that the anode is positive.
However, in electrochemical cells, the electrons produced at the anode must be attracted to the cathode and so wouldn't the cathode be positive for the electrons to be attracted to it?
Sorry if that makes no sense but I'm just so confused!! Thanks :smile:
My chemistry teacher taught us that when we panic, remember PANIC!

P ositive
A node
N egative
I s
C athode

Hope I helped! :smile:
You wanna think of this in terms of what's happening with electrons at each electrode. Oxidation occurs at the anode, so negative electrons are being stripped off an atom and moving to the positive anode. At the Cathode, electrons are moving from the electrode to the positive cations, reducing them. So the anode is positive, the cathode is negative.

The terminals in circuits are actually the wrong way round (against what you think they should be), but it was an arbitrary choice before we knew whether electrons were negative or positive (which is also arbitrary really.) We could change it now, but that would mean changing ever battery/electrode in the world!
I use:

PANC:

Positive
Anode
Negative
Cathode

OILRIG:

Oxidation
Is
Loss of electrons
Reduction
Is
Gaining of electrons

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by rpnom
Hi, basically I'm getting really confused about whether, in electrochemical cells, the cathode is positively or negatively charged?
I know that Oxidation occurs at the Anode (An Ox) and that Reduction occurs at the Cathode (Red Cat). So, electrons flow from where a species has been oxidised (at the anode) to reduce a species at the cathode.
I've always thought that the cathode is negative (as cations are positive) and that the anode is positive.
However, in electrochemical cells, the electrons produced at the anode must be attracted to the cathode and so wouldn't the cathode be positive for the electrons to be attracted to it?
Sorry if that makes no sense but I'm just so confused!! Thanks :smile:

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Analytical_Chemistry/Electrochemistry/Electrolytic_Cells/Electrolysis
Reduction @ Cathode, "RED-CAT" - making that the negative electrode.

The electrons for reductions (gain of electrons) are being supplied from the anode - which is the positive electrode where oxidation (loss of electrons) is taking place.
Reply 6
Original post by MrMackyTv
I use:

PANC:

Positive
Anode
Negative
Cathode

OILRIG:

Oxidation
Is
Loss of electrons
Reduction
Is
Gaining of electrons

Hope this helps :smile:

Technically the first one is PANIC standing for Positive Anode Negative Is Cathode but whatever, lol. (Me being picky)
Original post by JTran38
Technically the first one is PANIC standing for Positive Anode Negative Is Cathode but whatever, lol. (Me being picky)

Lol I learnt it as PANC. I could also think of it as PANIC and then just write down PANC to help me in the exam.
Reply 8
Original post by MrMackyTv
Lol I learnt it as PANC. I could also think of it as PANIC and then just write down PANC to help me in the exam.

lool as long you can remember positive is anode and negative is cathode you're fine :smile: .

Quick Reply

Latest