The Student Room Group

Reapplying

Is there anybody who applied the first time and got rejected by any oxbridge colleges but reapplied and got in?

If so could you please state the college, course and university you applied to the first time as well as the second time?:smile:

Also what did you do differently or do you think is the reason why you got accepted the second time and not the first time? :smile:

@BrasenoseAdm @Christ's Admissions @Peterhouse Admissions - If you could please shed some light on the number of re-applicants that got in but got rejected first time round and why they perhaps got in the second time but not the first time would be great! :smile:

I for example have re-sat exams and got poor grades the first time round but had extenuating circumstances which resulted in such poor grades. However I know what I'm capable of and will be applying this October with predicted grades but it is also understandable if I might not get accepted.However I know what I want and will be reapplying if I don't get in.

This is thread has been made as much to answer my question as well as to encourage those who had high hopes but didn't achieve them the first time round - so they know they don't have to give up and its not the end of the world! Best wishes to everyone taking exams this June and applying this October! :smile:

(If there are any other Oxbridge college official pages on here can people please tag them!) :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by cantgetvalidname
Is there anybody who applied the first time and got rejected by any oxbridge colleges but reapplied and got in?

It's a fairly common occurrence, and re-applicants typically have a higher success rate.

A key thing is to seek, and address, is any feedback from your original application.

Where did you apply and for which course?

There are already some threads that might help you:

e.g. Cambridge Re-applicants 2016
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3076241

Oxford
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2248607
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE="jneill;65101571"]It's a fairly common occurrence, and re-applicants typically have a higher success rate.

A key thing is to seek, and address, is any feedback from your original application.

Where did you apply and for which course?

There are already some threads that might help you:

e.g. Cambridge Re-applicants 2016
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3076241

Oxford
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2248607[/QUOTE]

We don't have much to add to the Oxford link. A small number of candidates reapply and their applications are considered afresh against the others in the new field. Admissions tests are taken again and no scores from the previous application are carried forward. Reapplications are not flagged by central admissions and if a student reapplies to a different college there is no way of ascertaining whether or not it is a reapplication.

Sometimes candidates unsuccessful in applying to Oxford apply to Cambridge and vice versa. Motivation appears to vary: some candidates were never very keen on their insurance offer and elect to take a gap year, some may not have been fully fit at admissions tests or interview, some missed an offer, others performed better than expected at A-level or equivalent. In a few cases, applicants are not happy on their current course and elect to make a second UCAS application.

(If there are any other Oxbridge college official pages on here can people please tag them!) :smile:

I'll tag in @LMH OXFORD as they also might want to add something :h:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I'll tag in @LMH OXFORD as they also might want to add something :h:

Thank you! :h:

Thanks for the links! No I haven't applied yet however I already feel as though my chances don't look that great since I have no grades to show except a few poor AS grades from years ago that I'm resitting now. So if I don't get in, I would reapply and I would have grades at the time as well so just wanted to know if re-applicants hold a good chance! :smile:

Original post by BrasenoseAdm

We don't have much to add to the Oxford link. A small number of candidates reapply and their applications are considered afresh against the others in the new field. Admissions tests are taken again and no scores from the previous application are carried forward. Reapplications are not flagged by central admissions and if a student reapplies to a different college there is no way of ascertaining whether or not it is a reapplication.

Sometimes candidates unsuccessful in applying to Oxford apply to Cambridge and vice versa. Motivation appears to vary: some candidates were never very keen on their insurance offer and elect to take a gap year, some may not have been fully fit at admissions tests or interview, some missed an offer, others performed better than expected at A-level or equivalent. In a few cases, applicants are not happy on their current course and elect to make a second UCAS application.

Thank you for posting - it's good to know! In my case what I'm worried about most is that I have past AS grades in relevant subjects that I did poorly in due to depression and other circumstances but I am expecting to achieve As (maybe even A*s) at A-level for them. So when I'll be applying this October I will only have those poor grades from before and high, but, predicted grades. So I was wondering if that puts me at a disadvantage this time and I end up not getting an offer, I would have a better chance when I reapply, as I will already have had the grades by then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for posting - it's good to know! In my case what I'm worried about most is that I have past AS grades in relevant subjects that I did poorly in due to depression and other circumstances but I am expecting to achieve As (maybe even A*s) at A-level for them. So when I'll be applying this October I will only have those poor grades from before and high, but, predicted grades. So I was wondering if that puts me at a disadvantage this time and I end up not getting an offer, I would have a better chance when I reapply, as I will already have had the grades by then?

We remember similar queries from last year. The advice we gave is to suggest that the school referee explains the context behind a set of results if these are reported in the UCAS application. Selectors will take into account externating circumstances if a referee mentions them. The reference does not necessarly have to go into detail but if the school are predicting A* notwithstanding AS results, then a note to say that these earlier results were influenced by health factors is helpful.

We hope that you received support to help with your depression. If the condition is on-going and has affected daily living for more than a year, then you can also declare a disability on the UCAS form. Our general advice to students with disabilities is to declare them as our policy is always to contact students making a declaration to see if any special arrangements at interview are required.

If so could you please state the college, course and university you applied to the first time as well as the second time?:smile:

Also what did you do differently or do you think is the reason why you got accepted the second time and not the first time? :smile:

@BrasenoseAdm @Christ's Admissions @Peterhouse Admissions - If you could please shed some light on the number of re-applicants that got in but got rejected first time round and why they perhaps got in the second time but not the first time would be great! :smile:

I for example have re-sat exams and got poor grades the first time round but had extenuating circumstances which resulted in such poor grades. However I know what I'm capable of and will be applying this October with predicted grades but it is also understandable if I might not get accepted.However I know what I want and will be reapplying if I don't get in.

This is thread has been made as much to answer my question as well as to encourage those who had high hopes but didn't achieve them the first time round - so they know they don't have to give up and its not the end of the world! Best wishes to everyone taking exams this June and applying this October! :smile:

As has been suggested by others, reapplications are common (as are people who applied in Year 13 to Oxford and then to Cambridge post A-Level and vice versa) and many are successful. I'm afraid I don't have exact figures to hand for the university. We made 20 unconditional offers this year at Christ's (in other words to people who already had their A Levels or equivalents), most of whom would have been re-applicants or applicants to Oxford last year.

Most of those who are successful second time round have exceeded rather than just met the standard offer and that's something that re-applicants should bear in mind, especially if they are already holding an offer from another university.

If you decide to apply to Cambridge then you should, given your past history, get your school to fill in the extenuating circumstances form to provide us with contextual information on your previous performance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending