The Student Room Group

Reapplying during 1st year

Let's say I wanna reapply (for a different course) during my 1st year of uni (ideally i'd send my application right at soon as the cycle begins), would my performance in the course I'd be doing at the uni I'd be at be a factor in my application whatsoever? Am I even required to disclose that?

(Before anyone asks I know most unis have a transfer mechanism in the first couple of weeks of michaelmas term, but I'm asking in case that doesn't work out).
Hi there:smile:

You should have a tutor based in your uni who can give you more exact information, or forward you on to who can. I've not personally heard of 1st-year grades being a factor (as long as you meet the GCSE/ A level requirements).

Best of luck

Jaz - Cardiff Student Rep
Yes, you do need to disclose higher education study, even if it is incomplete at the point at which you apply.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

"If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there."

Current grades will likely only be a factor if you are applying to a similar subject, otherwise most unis will just write it off as a false start.
Original post by corporatevodka4
Let's say I wanna reapply (for a different course) during my 1st year of uni (ideally i'd send my application right at soon as the cycle begins), would my performance in the course I'd be doing at the uni I'd be at be a factor in my application whatsoever? Am I even required to disclose that?

(Before anyone asks I know most unis have a transfer mechanism in the first couple of weeks of michaelmas term, but I'm asking in case that doesn't work out).

Are you planning to reapply through UCAS for a different course at the same university? This usually isn’t necessary for internal transfers. Your student handbook should explain how internal transfers work.

It does raise the question why start a course you don’t plan to complete if you plan to reapply before getting more than a week in.
Original post by PQ
Are you planning to reapply through UCAS for a different course at the same university? This usually isn’t necessary for internal transfers. Your student handbook should explain how internal transfers work.

It does raise the question why start a course you don’t plan to complete if you plan to reapply before getting more than a week in.

Usually internal transfers at the uni I'm going to (King's) can be done early in Michaelmas term, but that naturally depends on availability within the course. That's why I'm asking, to prepare for a worst case scenario. Either way King's says that in case an internal transfer isn't possible that way that I should just reapply through UCAS.
I applied for the course partially under parental pressure and because I didn't really have the best idea of what it consisted of - I initially wanted to apply for a different one which I was not just interested in but was passionate about, but through reading, speaking to people doing it and going through a number of internships I've come to realize it's just not what I want to study or do in life.
I see, thanks!
Usually internal transfers at the uni I'm going to (King's) can be done early in Michaelmas term, but that naturally depends on availability within the course. That's why I'm asking, to prepare for a worst case scenario. Either way King's says that in case an internal transfer isn't possible that way that I should just reapply through UCAS.
I applied for the course partially under parental pressure and because I didn't really have the best idea of what it consisted of - I initially wanted to apply for a different one which I was not just interested in but was passionate about, but through reading, speaking to people doing it and going through a number of internships I've come to realize it's just not what I want to study or do in life.

KCL don't use Michaelmas to refer to their autumn term - it's just Semester 1 or Autumn term

KCL self service
If you are an offer holder but not yet completed your enrolment

Please contact King’s Apply and the Admissions team can find out if there are still spaces on your chosen programme. September is a very busy time for all departments, especially Admissions, so we ask for your patience when awaiting a response. Admissions will look into this for you; if you meet the entry requirements, there is space and the programme tutor is happy to accept you, this should be possible.

If they can't switch you over now then they're not going to have space in September either. You would be better off taking a gap year and reapplying instead of enrolling on a course you're not happy with.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by PQ
KCL don't use Michaelmas to refer to their autumn term - it's just Semester 1 or Autumn term

If they can't switch you over now then they're not going to have space in September either. You would be better off taking a gap year and reapplying instead of enrolling on a course you're not happy with.

Don't see why the chance of them having space in September is lower than the chance of them having space now. The inverse seems to make more sense considering candidates not meeting offer conditions, or just finding out the course isn't what they were expecting and seeking a transfer themselves.

The chance of me taking a gap year is extremely low, my parents aren't open to the idea and would rather I do a year of the course I've already been accepted to and reapply - at least that way all bases are covered. They're ok with the financial implications of that.
But that discussion is irrelevant to what I'm interested in finding out - will reapplying in my first year have any significant impact on the likelihood of my acceptance, provided the unis I apply to do accept such applications?
Don't see why the chance of them having space in September is lower than the chance of them having space now. The inverse seems to make more sense considering candidates not meeting offer conditions, or just finding out the course isn't what they were expecting and seeking a transfer themselves.

The chance of me taking a gap year is extremely low, my parents aren't open to the idea and would rather I do a year of the course I've already been accepted to and reapply - at least that way all bases are covered. They're ok with the financial implications of that.
But that discussion is irrelevant to what I'm interested in finding out - will reapplying in my first year have any significant impact on the likelihood of my acceptance, provided the unis I apply to do accept such applications?

Answered this in post #3. Yes it could if you are applying for the same or a similar subject. However, if your grades are solid then it would generally not be a concern - on the assumption that they consider transfers.
Reply 9

So what decision have you made? I'm thinking of doing the same but don't know how to begin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending