Original post by Zacken
You'll want to spell maths properly.

LOL.
Reply 21
Original post by The gains kinggg
You'll want to check the math before you try to 'help' people

We all make mistakes don't we?
Reply 22
Actually looking at the quartic equation, if we set ex=w e^x=w and divide equation by w2 w^2 and then making a substitution of z=w+w1 z=w+w^{-1} .It might work but I haven't tried it yet.

Oh, I didn't realise someone had posted this before me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The gains kinggg
You'll want to check the math before you try to 'help' people

Don't be mean to Zacken please.
Reply 24
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
By the latter option, I presume they didn't expect you to solve the quartic via direct factorisation. Instead, I suspect you're supposed to note:

(exex)2=e2x+e2x2\left(e^x-e^{-x}\right)^2 = e^{2x}+e^{-2x}-2

And let w=exexw=e^x - e^{-x}, so that the equation reduces to the quadratic:

w27w8=0w^2 -7w -8=0

Which you can solve for ww and then solve further quadratics from the definition of ww for exe^x.

However, it's worth pointing out that this is 'secretly' rebuilding the hyperbolic identity for cosh2x\cosh 2x in terms of sinhx\sinh x so it pays to know those instead.

Hmm, the MS just glosses over the factorisation, But what youre saying makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the help!

Original post by TeeEm
Use identities which is very easy

or using exponentials you get what is known as a symmetric polynomial

I see, but I was just wondering how people solved it if they used the exponential definitions.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Usually if some polynomial of degree more than 2 comes up and its factorisation isn't immediately obvious you probably made a wrong turn..

I see, but I was just wondering how people solved it if they used the exponential definitions.
@Zacken
Thanks for all your help people!
Original post by P____P
Hmm, the MS just glosses over the factorisation, But what youre saying makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the help!

I find it amusing how the mark scheme awards marks for the correct quartic, but fails to give the correct quartic itself...
Reply 26
I find it amusing how the mark scheme awards marks for the correct quartic, but fails to give the correct quartic itself...

What do you mean?

The second line?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
By the latter option, I presume they didn't expect you to solve the quartic via direct factorisation. Instead, I suspect you're supposed to note:

(exex)2=e2x+e2x2\left(e^x-e^{-x}\right)^2 = e^{2x}+e^{-2x}-2

And let w=exexw=e^x - e^{-x}, so that the equation reduces to the quadratic:

w27w8=0w^2 -7w -8=0

Which you can solve for ww and then solve further quadratics from the definition of ww for exe^x.

However, it's worth pointing out that this is 'secretly' rebuilding the hyperbolic identity for cosh2x\cosh 2x in terms of sinhx\sinh x so it pays to know those instead.

7w=7ex+7ex -7w=-7e^x+7e^{-x} . So you would have to be w=ex+ex w=e^x+e^{-x} .
Original post by P____P
What do you mean?

The second line?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the exe^x term should have a positive coefficient.

Anyhow, to spot the factorisation, you could superficially let u=exu=e^x and v=e2xv=e^{2x}. Then, putting these into the quartic in a particular way:

v2(7u+2)v(8u27u1)=0v^2 - (7u+2)v-(8u^2-7u-1)=0

(Where I've chosen to write the middle term 10e2x=(2v+8u2)-10e^{2x} = -(2v+8u^2) because then the term that is (implicitly) independent of vv is 1. a quadratic; and 2. factorable as (8u+1)(u1)(8u+1)(u-1), allowing us to be able to factorise the quadratic in vv more neatly.)

Then note that we can factorise the quadratic in vv as:

(v+[u1])(v[8u+1])=0(v+[u-1])(v-[8u+1])=0

Which unwraps as (e2x+ex1)(e2x8ex1)=0(e^{2x}+e^x-1)(e^{2x}-8e^x-1)=0, satisfying the mark scheme's factorisation.

[Note: I don't think such a factorisation is reasonable in exam conditions.]

Original post by B_9710
7w=7ex+7ex -7w=-7e^x+7e^{-x} . So you would have to be w=ex+ex w=e^x+e^{-x} .

Careful. 7ex+7ex=7(exex)-7e^x+7e^{-x} = -7(e^x-e^{-x}), so ww must be chosen as written in my post.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest