The Student Room Group

Fail to meet conditional offers in UCL

I hold a UCL offer in Engineering and have received a conditional offer for A*AA (A* in Mathematics). I took four A-levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and Physics, but I performed poorly on my Maths P4 exam and could not finish it. As a result, I don't think I can meet the A* condition and will likely only receive an A in Maths. However, I may achieve an A* in Physics and Chemistry, and possibly an A in Further Maths.

My question is whether it is possible to appeal and still be accepted into UCL without meeting the A* requirement, given my strong performance in two subjects (Physics and Chemistry/Further Maths) but not in Maths. Alternatively, should I apply for extenuating circumstances? I am considering both options, but I am unsure which would be better. Should I wait until the results are released before appealing?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by addi134
I hold a UCL degree in Engineering and have received a conditional offer for A*AA (A* in Mathematics). I took four A-levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and Physics, but I performed poorly on my Maths P4 exam and could not finish it. As a result, I don't think I can meet the A* condition and will likely only receive an A in Maths. However, I may achieve an A* in Physics and Chemistry, and possibly an A in Further Maths.

My question is whether it is possible to appeal and still be accepted into UCL without meeting the A* requirement, given my strong performance in two subjects (Physics and Chemistry/Further Maths) but not in Maths. Alternatively, should I apply for extenuating circumstances? I am considering both options, but I am unsure which would be better. Should I wait until the results are released before appealing?

Do you mean you hold an offer? There's nothing in your post that would indicate you have extenuating circumstances - yo'll just need to wait and see.
UCL will get your results before you do and decide if they can offer you a place - on results day you'll get their answer.
Reply 2
Yeah sorry about that, I mean hold an offer. Does UCL accept applicants who don't meet the conditional offer?

Original post by Muttley79
Do you mean you hold an offer? There's nothing in your post that would indicate you have extenuating circumstances - yo'll just need to wait and see.
UCL will get your results before you do and decide if they can offer you a place - on results day you'll get their answer.
Reply 3
Original post by addi134
I hold a UCL offer in Engineering and have received a conditional offer for A*AA (A* in Mathematics). I took four A-levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and Physics, but I performed poorly on my Maths P4 exam and could not finish it. As a result, I don't think I can meet the A* condition and will likely only receive an A in Maths. However, I may achieve an A* in Physics and Chemistry, and possibly an A in Further Maths.

It does not sound like there are grounds for appeal or for applying for extenuating circumstances. Unis do however often still accept applicants that just miss their grades, Can't put a percentage on it, but I would say you prob still have a reasonable chance, particularly if you get an A* in FM.
Reply 4
Original post by addi134
Yeah sorry about that, I mean hold an offer. Does UCL accept applicants who don't meet the conditional offer?

No-one knows what will happen this year - if lots miss their offer they need to fill places...
Reply 5
My FM FP3 is a mess, hope god will do the rest

Original post by lalexm
It does not sound like there are grounds for appeal or for applying for extenuating circumstances. Unis do however often still accept applicants that just miss their grades, Can't put a percentage on it, but I would say you prob still have a reasonable chance, particularly if you get an A* in FM.

Quick Reply

Latest