The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kamara7
:console:

Have you done it? How did you do if so? :redface:
Reply 321
Original post by marioman
How did it go? I also did it recently and I thought it was hard, but the difficulty was a bit over-hyped.

I had a look at it and it was a bit more difficult but if you understood the content it would be fine.
How did it go? I also did it recently and I thought it was hard, but the difficulty was a bit over-hyped.

We're going to get the papers back on Friday but I found it very hard compared to the other past papers (done all F324 and Jan '02-'05 chains, rings, spec) :/

I found the timing really difficult with it also
Original post by itsConnor_
Have you done it? How did you do if so? :redface:

Timing was an issue for me in that particular exam. The NMR was hard to analyse in the amount of time I had left, but looking at it afterwards, I could've got the molecule if I didn't panic and assign one peak stupidly :facepalm: The other question I screwed up was the one where it told you to find the structure of some amino acids and polymers. If I realised that aldehydes can be oxidised to carboxylic acids and not just primary alcohols, then I wouldn't have screwed up the rest of that question :tongue: I just didn't know what to do because the hydrogens weren't adding up :lol: Other than that, it was... meh

This. The only issue I had with the paper was timing, I think that there were too many questions.

You're right but you didn't sit the real exam. It's a lot different when your actual grade depends on it and you're sweating in the exam hall with 10 minutes to do the last question.
That's why you always see people claiming they've messed the paper up despite getting 90+% on past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 326
Original post by thad33
You're right but you didn't sit the real exam. It's a lot different when your actual grade depends on it and you're sweating in the exam hall with 10 minutes to do the last question.
That's why you always see people claiming they've messed the paper up despite getting 90+% on past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not really that different.
Reply 327
Original post by rory58824
This. The only issue I had with the paper was timing, I think that there were too many questions.

do u print out ur papers or do it on the computer, i advice u print them out somewhere! because i would honestly spent a whole hour more for the unit 5 chem when using computer, when i started printing i finished on time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
do u print out ur papers or do it on the computer, i advice u print them out somewhere! because i would honestly spent a whole hour more for the unit 5 chem when using computer, when i started printing i finished on time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I print most of them.
Original post by alow
It's not really that different.

Of course it is. There's no pressure doing past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 330
Original post by thad33
Of course it is. There's no pressure doing past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're confident you've worked hard enough and revised effectively there should be no pressure in the exam.
Reply 331
A mixture was prepared using 1.00 mol of propanoic acid, 2.00 mol of ethanol and 5.00 molof water. At a given temperature, the mixture was left to reach equilibrium according to thefollowing equation.CH3CH2COOH + CH3CH2OH CH3CH2COOCH2CH3 + H2O ΔH = –22 kJ mol–1The equilibrium mixture contained 0.54 mol of the ester ethyl propanoate.

Calculate moles of ethanol, propanoic acid and water. I dont get why the moles of water formed is 5.54?? I thought 0.54 would be used up from the reactants but then also formed from the products giving 5 moles?
Original post by AqsaMx
A mixture was prepared using 1.00 mol of propanoic acid, 2.00 mol of ethanol and 5.00 molof water. At a given temperature, the mixture was left to reach equilibrium according to thefollowing equation.CH3CH2COOH + CH3CH2OH CH3CH2COOCH2CH3 + H2O ΔH = –22 kJ mol–1The equilibrium mixture contained 0.54 mol of the ester ethyl propanoate.

Calculate moles of ethanol, propanoic acid and water. I dont get why the moles of water formed is 5.54?? I thought 0.54 would be used up from the reactants but then also formed from the products giving 5 moles?

The water isn't used to produce the ester. 0.54 moles of the ester are produced, so an additional 0.54 moles of water are produced in the reaction, bringing the total amount of water in the equilibrium mixture up to 5.54 moles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AqsaMx
image.jpg

Can anyone explain why CH3CH2COCl hydrolysed more readily than CH3CH2CH2Cl??

CH3CH2COCl has a carbonyl group, so the electronegative oxygen atom draws carbon's electrons away from it. This means that the carbocation of CH2CH2CH2Cl is less positive than that of CH3CH2COCl, therefore it is less attractive to nucleophiles, such as the oxygen atom of water in hydrolysis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AqsaMx
Can someone explain why the reaction between phenol and Na is classed as a redox/reduction reduction, is it become the Carbon oxidation number decreases??

It's redox because sodium loses an electron (and is oxidised) and the proton of the OH group of phenol gains an electron and is reduced to hydrogen.
2CH6H5OH +2Na > 2CH6H5O-Na+ + H2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 335
image.jpeg

Can anyone explain y u would multiply the concentration by 100?? In the last question
Reply 336
Original post by pineneedles
The water isn't used to produce the ester. 0.54 moles of the ester are produced, so an additional 0.54 moles of water are produced in the reaction, bringing the total amount of water in the equilibrium mixture up to 5.54 moles

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see, what's the water used for then?
Original post by AqsaMx
image.jpeg

Can anyone explain y u would multiply the concentration by 100?? In the last question

What was the answer to the last question?
Original post by AqsaMx
image.jpeg

It was diluted in a solution 100 times its volume. Which means it's concentration reduced by 100 times

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending