The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clintbarton
how can ya'll remember what you got for maths questions? I forget as soon as i come out!

Saaame 😫😂😂
Reply 341
concentration of S03 = 0.768 anyone????????
Original post by Nikosunway
For the question on polarity, I am sure it is C, due to the fact that if you draw the molecule , it is symmetrical, thus poles repel.

Ah but when you drew the one with the E isomer with two chlorines either side of the C-C double bond then they should cancel out also??
Reply 343
Unofficial Mark Scheme anyone?
Original post by 87Mack
nah why do you square it? there was only one mole of SO3

There were 2 moles

2SO2 + O2 -> 2SO3
I'm supposed to be in chemistry right now lol do they think i'm going to lesson after the exam so ppl can tell me I got everything wrong BYEEE
Original post by JohnMcButts
There were 2 moles

2SO2 + O2 -> 2SO3

Woopsies I read it as 3
It was an reasonable paper, but I know I've made some silly mistakes already... There were some multiple choice questions were really trying to trick you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 348
Original post by JohnMcButts
There were 2 moles

2SO2 + O2 -> 2SO3

it only had 1 mole in the equation given tho
Original post by Barklimus
Pretty that the reagent for turning the the alkene into the blank product (C4H8Br2) was Br2. Then, to turn that into a diol, you could use NaOH.

I put that too but Cl2 instead of Br2!
Original post by A Sajid
Low temperatures push the reaction to the exothermic side. And the forward reaction/ product had less molecules than the reactants. So increase in pressure pushed the equilibrium to the product side. And then you talk about how high pressure costly blah blah.

But if low temp and high pressure push the equilibrium to the product/right hand side then surely that wouldn't produce a good percentage yield since more of the product would break down to form reactants?? There was a similar question in one of the specimen depth papers which is had a contradictory answer to the question in today's paper?image.jpeg

Original post by Jitesh
Certainly but not sure how many with it being a new spec and all

Ahh ok that's alright then, hopefully won't lose too many marks
Original post by Studentet

Same thing because they're both halogenation?
AHCK You needed to square root it, cos that value is (SO3) squared. I got about 0.876moldm-3.

Yep that's what I got as well
Original post by Studentet

That's fine it would be alright for any suitable reagent
Br2 would just show a clearer colour change and is normally used in experiments so it would probably be more common for people to put that
Reply 354
Original post by Jitesh
It's a bit blurry but the top circle on the Oxygen I drew as a different symbol but I was not sure if it meant different as in a circle when uses crosses to represent it??

I used it for the dative one. What did they mean?
Reply 355
Original post by A Sajid
Lmao what kind of science has this don been doing. Its like saying you have to cube 02 :biggrin:

im a don now is it? nah but seriously tho wasnt it only one mole ?? if its not i got that wrong then.
Reply 356
Original post by snickercell
Did they?? Dang it! Would i still get some marks for correct working out albeit with wrong numbers?

I'm not sure as that was the first step. You might get 1 for method
Original post by 87Mack
concentration of S03 = 0.768 anyone????????

I think I got something like that.
AHCK You needed to square root it, cos that value is (SO3) squared. I got about 0.876moldm-3.

I got this

Original post by 87Mack
nah why do you square it? there was only one mole of SO3

You have to look at the stoichiometry

Original post by Clintbarton
That one messed me up and I ran out of time at the end to finish working out, I think i put A because B (or C) wasn't even E/Z.

They were all E/Z, even the ones with the chloros not on the double bonding carbons had hydrogen and methyls on the double bonding carbons (so two different atoms/groups of atoms)

Original post by tamoni4
Yes, exactly. Since there were 2 measurment, you had to double the error and then divide by the mass of water and multiply by 100.

Lol I forgot to double the %error, gg me
... I really don't know whether to be happy that the exam was relatively decent or scared by the fact that this will usually mean a high grade boundary.

Btw, do you guys know what reagent was used to add that oxygen in the second stage of prep in that last question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending